Register now to remove this ad

Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast

Thread: Stanton or Votto

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Of course DD is gambling that the existing market for JD is soft enough that his offer will be the highest and that it will be less than 7/210.

If he fucks up and JD signs elsewhere, DD will not find another bat or bats to replace what JD would have brought. We will see lesser players signed and hope that those additions and a rebound from a few people will carry this team.

We will see. But maybe not soon.
    It is possible. Remember, this is what JD wants - Boras is working for him, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    But DD hasn't signed a single pitcher to a minor league deal or tried to upgrade over Brentz and Hernandez. He hasn't done a thing yet beyond DEFacing Owens and d ignoring Quiroz. And I wondered if Owens was DFAd to clear a spot in the Rule 5 draft. But nope. He passed on that too...
    Since Holt, Lin and Swihart can play LF, I doubt we seek a replacement for Brentz, who is out of options. We can look for a 4th OF'er next summer, if needed.

The 2B situation is more urgent, but with Hernandez, Holt, Marrero, Lin and Quiroz on the roster, I think we wait on that position as well. Signing Nunez is an option, since he can keep playing, if and when Pedey returns.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    It is possible. Remember, this is what JD wants - Boras is working for him, not the other way around.
    I understand that. He went out and hired him as soon after the season ended as he could. That tells me that he knows his best chance of getting the biggest, most bloated contract possible is what is important to him.

Given that little insight, how are we to believe that Martinez prioritizes winning and even playing the outfield?

My guess is he is not going to care about what position he plays as long as he get the biggest payday. And if the Yankees are not going after him his best current shot at this is with the Sox. He knows that. Borass knows that, too.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Since Holt, Lin and Swihart can play LF, I doubt we seek a replacement for Brentz, who is out of options. We can look for a 4th OF'er next summer, if needed.

The 2B situation is more urgent, but with Hernandez, Holt, Marrero, Lin and Quiroz on the roster, I think we wait on that position as well. Signing Nunez is an option, since he can keep playing, if and when Pedey returns.
    If Nunez is healthy and looks to recover fully without any lingering issues to his knees or legs I say sign the motherfucker up as soon as possible.

I would prefer him at 2nd to start the season than my binky Holt or Hernandez.

The man "plays offense" and this team could use that.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    For all we know Boras can accurately tell other teams that Martinez has an offer of X years and X dollars from other club.

He could deceptively tell teams falsehoods or exaggerations.
    And a front office could falsely tell an agent that another player wants to sign a contract that represents a better value for the team.

Agents and front offices earn their reputations ... and a bad reputation is bad for business.

I suspect Scott Boras is doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    And a front office could falsely tell an agent that another player wants to sign a contract that represents a better value for the team.

Agents and front offices earn their reputations ... and a bad reputation is bad for business.

I suspect Scott Boras is doing fine.
    True, but it's not like agents have never played GMs and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I am baffled by this. I can only surmise that Boras is trying to squeeze the last dime for J.D. and that the rest of the plan depends on that move. DD should make J.D. his best and final offer and give him a week to accept or he will go in another direction.
    I think Dombrowski and the Sox are willing to pay what it will take to sign JD, but they are waiting the market out to make sure they have it gauged correctly. Encarnacion's price came way down. If Dombrowski signs JD quickly, he could end up giving JD more years and dollars than he might have to.

Dombrowski has probably asked Borass to give him a chance to beat his best offer before JD signs with another team.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I think Dombrowski and the Sox are willing to pay what it will take to sign JD, but they are waiting the market out to make sure they have it gauged correctly. Encarnacion's price came way down. If Dombrowski signs JD quickly, he could end up giving JD more years and dollars than he might have to.

Dombrowski has probably asked Borass to give him a chance to beat his best offer before JD signs with another team.
    Hope that this is true. It almost sounds like it might be a little too good to be true. I hope that Dombrowski and Borass have that type of relationship. I'd be happily surprised.

Deity
    Boras will listen to every offer.

But JD's stated to desire to not DH might put the Sox lower on his list or it might mean the Sox need to pay more money to sign him. ..

Who else is going to offer JD close to $150M/6?

San Francisco?

I can't think of others now that STL got Ozuna.

If there are no other serious bidders we may luck out like CLE did with Encarnacion. The EE case may spur Bore-A$$ to mover more quickly than he previously has.

Boras will listen to every offer.

But JD's stated to desire to not DH might put the Sox lower on his list or it might mean the Sox need to pay more money to sign him. ..
    OTOH his poor ratings as a fielder should make him less appealing to an NL team.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    OTOH his poor ratings as a fielder should make him less appealing to an NL team.
    Certainly any team looking at defense would be hesitant.

But the market for Martinez may not be as big as Boras likes. I've only heard 4 linked to him, and I usually find that the rumors double the actual number of interested teams. So are there only 2 teams in on Martinez?

Certainly any team looking at defense would be hesitant.

But the market for Martinez may not be as big as Boras likes. I've only heard 4 linked to him, and I usually find that the rumors double the actual number of interested teams. So are there only 2 teams in on Martinez?
    StL should be out of the running. AZ cannot afford him. To me, it's us or SF, who just cleared some salary space by dumping Moore.

Legend
    I think something happens this week, with at least 1 of Darvish, Martinez, or Hosmer. Nice to have a great Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post

Hope that this is true. It almost sounds like it might be a little too good to be true. I hope that Dombrowski and Borass have that type of relationship. I'd be happily surprised.
    I have no clue what type of relationship they have, but Boras would be doing his client and himself a disservice not to allow any team the opportunity to beat the best offer. Especially a team like the Red Sox, have the money to do it.