Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedroia undergoes microfracture surgery

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    Betts back at second base. Stanton in right. 18 wins from Sale. We're good to go.
    St. Louis also has a glut of middle infielders. One intriguing name there is Kolten Wong.

Wong does have 3 years / $21.7mill left on his deal, which could make him expendable since Matt Carpenter was not a success at first and Jedd Gyorko seems to have found his groove in St. Louis. So Wong is basically a pricey utility player.

As a temporary solution, he's probably too expensive. But the real issue becomes - what would the Cardinals want for him anyway?

Washington is desperate for bullpen help.

We could send them Kimbrel for turner, feddee and Robles.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post

Perhaps one year of Craig Kimbrel straight up for six years of righthander Erick Fedde, a Top 100 prospect who was the Nats' first-round draft pick in 2014.

No way would Washington part with shortstop Trea Turner, whom FanGraphs ranked seventh in trade value among all baseball players:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2017...value-1-to-10/

Likewise, the Nationals would not trade 20-year-old Victor Robles, the second-ranked prospect in all of baseball:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=prospects

Three years of Kimbrel cost the Red Sox only the 25th- and 76th-ranked prospects (Manuel Margot and Javier Guerra) and change:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015/
    Last edited by harmony; 10-26-2017 at 11:37 AM.

That never happens, ever

Let's not forget entirely about Tzu-Wei Lin. He's got no power, none at all, but he had a very good rookie campaign and showed a bit of promise as a contact hitter. I expect him to be in the utility mix this Spring fighting with Marrero and Holt if he comes back. I wouldn't want to count on him as Plan A, but he's got to be in the mix somewhere, he did a solid job for the team this year.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

"it's not me....it's them"
    other names i have posted under: none

MVP - you nailed it in 2016 season "trade pedroia". credit where credit is due.
    other names i have posted under: none

Legend

Let's turn the tables for these clubs that won 97 and 93 games this year en route to their respective East divisional titles.

With Dustin Pedroia's knee surgery, let's assume the Red Sox are desperate for a second baseman.

Compare the merits of these trade proposals:

1. One year of Craig Kimbrel for five years of Trea Turner, six years of Victor Robles and six years of Erick Fedde.

2. One year of Daniel Murphy for five years of Andrew Benintendi, six years of Rafael Devers and six years of Trey Ball.

The 29-year-old Kimbrel, who is owed $13 million in the final year of his contract, has posted 6.0 fWAR over the past three seasons, including 3.3 fWAR this year.

The 32-year-old Murphy, who is owed $17.5 million in the final year of his contract, has posted 12.3 fWAR over the past three seasons, including 4.3 fWAR this year.

The 23-year-old Benintendi has posted 2.8 fWAR in 185 MLB games while the 24-year-old Turner has posted 6.4 fWAR in 198 MLB games. Turner ranked seventh on the FanGraphs midseason trade value list while Benintendi was unranked.

Devers, who just turned 22 years old, was ranked sixth in Baseball America's midseason prospect rankings while Robles, who is seven months younger than Devers, ranked eighth:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...Hs9tRqA2cR2.97

The 23-year-old Ball was selected out of high school in the first round of the 2013 draft while the 24-year-old Fedde was taken out of college in the first round of the 2014 draft. Fedde ranked 70th on BA's midseason prospect list while Trey Ball went unranked.

So, would the Red Sox trade five years of Andrew Benintendi, six years of Rafael Devers and six years of Trey Ball for one year of Daniel Murphy?

That trade would be less lopsided than the proposed five years of Trea Turner, six years of Victor Robles and six years of Erick Fedde for one year of Craig Kimbrel.

But neither proposal is realistic.
    Last edited by harmony; 10-26-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    They're still performing the surgery because its the last resort before telling an athlete that their career is over. If it works, then the players career continues. If it fails, their career is over
    The point is that the team cannot count on Pedroia ever being a regular second baseman again, especially with his style of play. Sure, its worth a try-if not for his playing career just to try to delay the need for a new knee. Management is going to have to find a different solution at 2B for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Yeah, but he's been saying it forever. That wipes out the credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Broken clock
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yeah, but he's been saying it forever. That wipes out the credit.
    #fakenews

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    #fakenews
    #nocredit

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    #nocredit
    You don't have to give me credit, just don't act like I've been saying it "forever."

2014 - negative WAR offensive player
    2015 - injured and couldn't stay on the field and his defense had taken a step back (the year I started harping on him)
    2016 - had a great season which I gave him credit for and said that it was the right time to move him as it would be selling high
    2017 - negative WAR offensive player and couldn't stay on the field due to injuries

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    You don't have to give me credit, just don't act like I've been saying it "forever."

2014 - negative WAR offensive player
    2015 - injured and couldn't stay on the field and his defense had taken a step back (the year I started harping on him)
    2016 - had a great season which I gave him credit for and said that it was the right time to move him as it would be selling high
    2017 - negative WAR offensive player and couldn't stay on the field due to injuries
    I think you're trying to make far too much gravy with the 'negative WAR offensive player'. He's not a DH. It's total WAR that matters.