Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Blake Swihart Thread

Cool The Blake Swihart Thread

With Brock at 2B day-to-day (sic) and Nunez 3B dinged up from the rundown play at the plate, did I read somewhere that Swihart, along with being a potential fill-in in LF, has played some 3B?

After watching J.D. make some nice catches in RF tonight, particularly the catch he made running face first into the wall, it got me to thinking. After this weekend, the Sox play 3 games against the cellar-dweller Orioles who are having a fire sale and no one knows who they'll have available on the field. Now might be the ideal time for a bit of a shakeup to give those dinged up a chance to fully recover. And against the lowly Orioles, what could possibly go wrong?

Betts 2B
    Benintendi LF
    Martinez RF
    Pearce DH
    Moreland 1B
    Bogaerts SS
    Swihart 3B
    Leon C
    Bradley CF
    Last edited by dustcover; 07-21-2018 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dustcover View Post
    With Brock at 2B day-to-day (sic) and Nunez 3B dinged up from the rundown play at the plate, did I read somewhere that Swihart, along with being a potential fill-in in LF, has played some 3B?

After watching J.D. make some nice catches in RF tonight, particularly the catch he made running face first into the wall, it got me to thinking. After this weekend, the Sox play 3 games against the cellar-dweller Orioles who are having a fire sale and no one knows who they'll have available on the field. Now might be the ideal time for a bit of a shakeup to give those dinged up a chance to fully recover. And against the lowly Orioles, what could possibly go wrong?

Betts 2B
    Benintendi LF
    Martinez RF
    Pearce DH
    Moreland 1B
    Bogaerts SS
    Swihart 3B
    Leon C
    Bradley CF
    With Swihart being needed as our back up catcher, the Sox will not play Swihart at other positions unless absolutely necessary.

Besides, Devers is being activated from the DL tomorrow.

If the Sox were to play Swihart at another position and he was needed as the backup catcher during the game, Cora could always do a double switch, ala National League, for instance by pinch hitting for Leon and switching Swihart from 3B to catcher while inserting the pinch hitter to 3B. Or if Leon were injured in a game, heaven forbid, a similar switch in positions could be made.

But as you have pointed out, with Devers coming off the DL, my machinations with the roster are not yet necessary. However, it's not beyond the realm of plausibility that this roster experiment might be kept on the back burner in the event that further injuries keep mounting as the season winds down.

Deity
    But then if Swihart gets hurt while playing 3b, it does put the Sox in a potentially precarious position. There is a reason teams rarely pinch hit for even the weakest hitting of catchers...

Haven't seen any real update on the depth of Holt's contusion, but as others said, probably a week or so assuming no structural damage or laceration. Nunez has played extensively all year mostly at full speed for him and that rundown was another shot at his legs, but he did get the out. Swihart is limited to the bench as Leon's Backup. Lin is a backup's backup. Among Pearce, Bradley, Martinez and Moreland , one has to be sitting in a given game, and it won't likely be JDM. This is a "short" bench with 2 of the guys being AAAA'ers.

My point is that DD and Cora need to take a hard look at the 13 pitchers, including the PawSox fill-ins and get down to 12 and put another functional player on the bench. Brandon Phillips will likely get this chance soon. Nunez and Holt should have been the ones to provide veteran utility presence playing 2 or 3 times a week but have become full time infielders due to Pedroia's lingering problems. Still the team is set for it's 70th win, with no other team beyond 65.

The answer to the question is yes.

But he has not done so since high school.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    The answer to the question is yes.

But he has not done so since high school.
    Me either.

If Michael Chavis hadn't gotten himself suspended, he'd probably be up here right now. We might see him anyway if things get desperate.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    If Michael Chavis hadn't gotten himself suspended, he'd probably be up here right now. We might see him anyway if things get desperate.
    That is a thought, although he is talked about as trade bait.

Legend
    While we are on the subject of Blake Swihart, since June 30 he has been playing regularly and not only has he played reasonably well behind the plate but in an admittedly small sample size he is hitting .421/1.003-and he has stolen at least one base. I have been advocating that he get his chance for a long time, not knowing if he would succeed. So far he has.

I have absolutely no problem with SWI catching. From what I've seen he's done quite well. I do have a problem with Nunez playing 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    I have absolutely no problem with SWI catching. From what I've seen he's done quite well. I do have a problem with Nunez playing 2nd.
    The best solution for the SOX, both defensively and offensively, IMHO, is to platoon Devers and Nunez at 3rd and have Lin play 2nd, at least until Holt returns. After Holt returns, I never want to see Nunez at 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    The best solution for the SOX, both defensively and offensively, IMHO, is to platoon Devers and Nunez at 3rd and have Lin play 2nd, at least until Holt returns. After Holt returns, I never want to see Nunez at 2nd.
    This alignment makes a lot of sense since Devers would still get the most AB's (vs RH'ers). Nunez gets off his feet/knees for a couple days at a time. Can Holt sit on days Price pitches so the 1-4-3 DP won't risk Holt on a throw from Price, assuming David can handle the ground ball.

Not a Swihart cheerleader , but I wonder how many guys out there who have not played meaningful MiLB nor MLB games at catcher in 3 years can step in with very few reps and handle the mental and physical aspects of a MLB catcher ? Not many. It takes smarts, strenth, versatility, quick thinking, pitcher and hitter knowledge (with bench help), a good arm and oh BTW, you are expected to hit also. Swihart gave up an entire season due to his unfamiliarity with the ridiculous quirk known as the LF roll up door at Fenway.

Anyone is free to rip Nunez and Swihart , like I rip Carson Smith, Joe Kelly and Matt Barnes (forget Thornburg now) but right now you are dependent on these sub/scrubs for 2 critical positions 2B and catcher. Just IMO.

Devers learning ( or not) the game at the MLB level reminds us of Shaw and Middlebrooks, plus the seecond year struggles after a quick intro late the previous season of Benetendi and Bogaerts. It will be boom or bust going forward.
    Last edited by vegasbob; 07-22-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    This alignment makes a lot of sense since Devers would still get the most AB's (vs RH'ers). Nunez gets off his feet/knees for a couple days at a time. Can Holt sit on days Price pitches so the 1-4-3 DP won't risk Holt on a throw from Price, assuming David can handle the ground ball.

Not a Swihart cheerleader , but I wonder how many guys out there who have not played meaningful MiLB nor MLB games at catcher in 3 years can step in with very few reps and handle the mental and physical aspects of a MLB catcher ? Not many. It takes smarts, strenth, versatility, quick thinking, pitcher and hitter knowledge (with bench help), a good arm and oh BTW, you are expected to hit also. Swihart gave up an entire season due to his unfamiliarity with the ridiculous quirk known as the LF roll up door at Fenway.

Anyone is free to rip Nunez and Swihart , like I rip Carson Smith, Joe Kelly and Matt Barnes (forget Thornburg now) but right now you are dependent on these sub/scrubs for 2 critical positions 2B and catcher. Just IMO.

Devers learning ( or not) the game at the MLB level reminds us of Shaw and Middlebrooks, plus the seecond year struggles after a quick intro late the previous season of Benetendi and Bogaerts. It will be boom or bust going forward.
    Go ahead and rip Smith for his stupidity and Kelly for his mediocrity, but Barnes has an ERA of 2.30 with an ERA+ of 192- and has pitched very well. Care to take him off your shit list?

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Go ahead and rip Smith for his stupidity and Kelly for his mediocrity, but Barnes has an ERA of 2.30 with an ERA+ of 192- and has pitched very well. Care to take him off your shit list?
    No thanks. His stats do not make a difference when he throws the ball over the lot trying to find the strike zone. I cringe when he comes in because he basically is a thrower , not a smart pitcher. I am glad that his inabilities have not yet caught up to his stats when he throws another 25 pitch 7th inning and K's a .200 hitter on a 3-2 pitch with the bases loaded that went into the opposite batter's box.