Register now to remove this ad

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Ortiz for Benchitting coach!

  1. #1

    Ortiz for Benchitting coach!

    Big Papi is stealing the FOX pre-game show. We need a new coach. Hers are two in one body! (We did not need a new word, but I couldn't resist!) Benchitting coach would be oerfect for him

  2. #2
    I don't get this push for Papi as a coach. He was a leader as a player but there's a big difference between that and being able to do the same thing as a coach.

    Besides, nothing tarnishes a great player's legacy like failing as a coach. Is the risk really worth it from Ortiz's perspective?

    How much are Marco Hernandez and Christian Vazquez supposed to learn about hitting from a guy who hits in a completely different way? Ortiz made a big study of how to hit his way, but has he really got stuff to share with guys who have to get on base in a completely different way? Not sure. And neither are you.

    And the idea of putting a guy in at bench coach with no prior coaching experience is absurd. You want a guy there who can run the team if the manager is ejected. It's not a figurehead position, the bench coach is the XO of the whole damn team, often handles more of the nitty gritty decisions than the manager does. You absolutely want a veteran, experienced coach there. As in experienced *at being a coach.* Especially if we're going to have an untried manager running the show.
    Last edited by Dojji; 10-26-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I don't get this push for Papi as a coach. He was a leader as a player but there's a big difference between that and being able to do the same thing as a coach.

    Besides, nothing tarnishes a great player's legacy like failing as a coach. Is the risk really worth it from Ortiz's perspective?

    How much are Marco Hernandez and Christian Vazquez supposed to learn about hitting from a guy who hits in a completely different way? Ortiz made a big study of how to hit his way, but has he really got stuff to share with guys who have to get on base in a completely different way? Not sure. And neither are you.

    And the idea of putting a guy in at bench coach with no prior coaching experience is absurd. You want a guy there who can run the team if the manager is ejected. It's not a figurehead position, the bench coach is the XO of the whole damn team, often handles more of the nitty gritty decisions than the manager does. You absolutely want a veteran, experienced coach there. As in experienced *at being a coach.* Especially if we're going to have an untried manager running the show.
    I agree the idea of Ortiz coaching or managing is a non starter. Those who make the suggestion also forget another reason, why would Ortiz want to? He certainly doesn't need the money. He is beloved by virtually everyone in baseball, red sox fans or not. Why would he risk that? He has got one of the best deals going doing what he is doing. I just don't see him wanting to do anything else.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    I agree the idea of Ortiz coaching or managing is a non starter. Those who make the suggestion also forget another reason, why would Ortiz want to? He certainly doesn't need the money. He is beloved by virtually everyone in baseball, red sox fans or not. Why would he risk that? He has got one of the best deals going doing what he is doing. I just don't see him wanting to do anything else.
    Yeah I have said about the same in other threads.

    I think Fox Sports should make a new show called "Lunch With Big Papi". There is so much that could be done with that idea.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    I agree the idea of Ortiz coaching or managing is a non starter. Those who make the suggestion also forget another reason, why would Ortiz want to? He certainly doesn't need the money. He is beloved by virtually everyone in baseball, red sox fans or not. Why would he risk that? He has got one of the best deals going doing what he is doing. I just don't see him wanting to do anything else.
    It's certainly all about what he wants to do himself. Some ex-players really enjoy managing or coaching, but it sure isn't for everyone.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It's certainly all about what he wants to do himself. Some ex-players really enjoy managing or coaching, but it sure isn't for everyone.
    Can't believe he would welcome the daily grind of the job or the travel. An advisory rule seems best for him.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Can't believe he would welcome the daily grind of the job or the travel. An advisory rule seems best for him.
    More likely just an easy NESN spot.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  8. #8
    Generally, the new hitting coach (not Big Papi) will go along with Cora, who probably holds the view of the current Astro's. They are aggressive and may appreciate the idea of launch angle associated with home run hitting, etc. Watching the big swingers on both the Astro's and the Dodgers, they tend to loop their swings to achieve the high launch angles. Their timing has to be nearly perfect and against front line pitching the runs have been hard to come by in some of the games. It seems to be an all or nothing approach, strikeout versus power hit.

    I prefer Ted Williams old approach where during the swing, the bat maintained and angle that would describe the path of the ball as it naturally dropped. That way, the bat stays in the plane of the ball as it drops and the chances of making solid contact improve. I will like it if our batters get more aggressive but not if he go to these longer looping swings.

  9. #9
    I benchit you not.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Hate will fuel your rage, drugs will get you high, money buys respect, love will get you by.

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •