Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees managerial search

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    What's the knock on Randolph? He turned a 91 loss Mets team around in short fashion, but they slumped badly in his third season. Googling gives me Keith Hernandez insinuating that Latin players didn't like him for some reason. Whether that's true or not, there must be something against him because it took him years to get a managing gig and no one's given him a second opportunity for almost ten years now.
    He presided over an epic collapse in 2007.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Cashman is also stealth. There’s a good chance that he already knows who will be managing, but isn’t ready to share it yet

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I keep hearing about the Yankee getting an analytical manager. Girardi was an analytical manager. He had his binder which had every split known to man and up until we got all those relievers. I’m anticipating that we will get a manager with Yankee minor league experience
    Girardi was not analytical. Having a binder with splits does not make one analytical.

The Yankees top priority is to find someone who can relate better to the youngsters, but another priority is to find someone who embraces analytics. I'm hearing your AAA coach (I think) is a top candidate.

It would make sense to go with Tony Franklin. It also shows our direction, which will be a patient one. We have one more season before the absolutely epic 2018-2019 free agent class. We need to see which kids are ready and which ones aren’t.

We also HAVE to make trades. We have 9 guys per scout.com who we need to protect from the Rule 5 with 4 more we’d like to protect and only 5 slots as of now. This is going to be a bonkers offseason for the Yankees and it’s fitting that it starts with the manager

Legend
    Rosenthal is saying Jerry Hairston Jr, is in play.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    He presided over an epic collapse in 2007.
    I think there has to be more to it than that.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Francona "presided" over an epic collapse in 2011 (in that he was the manager), but he found another job easily, and is now the manager of one of the best teams in baseball and seems poised to bring them back to the postseason for at least a few more seasons. I agree that there has to be something more to Randolph's lack of a job, but we probably will never know exactly what it is. It could be a combination of reasons, or one large reason, it could even be that he has had the opportunity and simply doesn't want to manage anymore. God knows it probably does nothing positive for your stress levels or mental health.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Girardi has been whining about not getting the opportunity to finish the job. Guys like him never factor in that the douche factor shortens their shelf life.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Cashman is looking for someone more analytically minded. He is a smart man.
    I always thought Girardi was pretty analytical, though. The way he ran the bullpen, relying heavily on stats (rather than his gut) when making decisions. The Yankees were constantly using infield shifts, etc.

It was a curious move. Most importantly, Girardi is a good manager and I wonder if Cashman let his so-so relationship with Girardi get in the way of making the best baseball move, which would have been to bring back Girardi. Cashman has done some good things, but he also makes his fair share of mistakes. I think the Yankees will regret letting Girardi go--this will not end well for Cashman.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 11-02-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    I always thought Girardi was pretty analytical, though. The way he ran the bullpen, relying heavily on stats (rather than his gut) when making decisions. The Yankees were constantly using infield shifts, etc.

It was a curious move. Most importantly, Girardi is a good manager and I wonder if Cashman let his so-so relationship with Girardi get in the way of making the best baseball move, which would have been to bring back Girardi. Cashman has done some good things, but he also makes his fair share of mistakes. I think the Yankees will regret letting Girardi go--this will not end well for Cashman.
    I actually thought Girardi was a pretty good manager. I don't consider him to be analytical, but as far as managers go, there are a lot worse.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I actually thought Girardi was a pretty good manager. I don't consider him to be analytical, but as far as managers go, there are a lot worse.
    My conclusion too. I know you can't go by w/l alone, but that record speaks for itself.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Carlos Beltran
    • If Boone was an unexpected candidate, then the most recent possibility to be floated comes straight from left field — almost literally. Even as he announced the end of his playing career today, Beltran was generating buzz in relation to the Yankees managerial opening. In interviews with MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand and ESPN.com’s Marly Rivera, Beltran said he wants to manage (at least eventually) and suggested he’d have interest in the gig. Cashman did not commit to anything when asked to comment, saying that he’s “aware of [Beltran’s] interest in managing in the future” but declining to elaborate otherwise on the matter.

My source on this may be better placed than I thought.

The other name this source has given me is Brosius.

That's pretty cool, actually.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

The other name this source has given me is Brosius.
    Now that would be cool