Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 59 of 59

Thread: Sox Hire Tony La Russa

  1. #46
    I think the only years I really have a bone to pick with were 2005, 2012 and 2014.

    It makes sense that there would be a let down no matter what in 2005, but that rotation was really bad.

    They should have made more of an effort in 2012 to remove some of the clubhouse stink and BV shouldn't have been allowed through the door.

    2012 was hard to figure out. We had the rotation Ben was bashed for trading away. All had bad years at the same time, and everyday players were hurt and under performing as well.

    5.91 SP'er ERA
    4.82 Lester
    4.56 Buch
    4.86 Doubront
    5.23 Beckett
    8.28 Dice-K/6.22 Bard/5.65 A Cook

    .682 OPS by Ellsbury in just 74 games.

    Cody Ross was great signing, but he wasn't enough.


    2014 saw severe growing pains from ...
    JBJ .531
    Bogey .660

    and vets dropping...
    .712 Pedey
    .873 Papi

    and Middy (.522), Gomes (.683), Nava (.706) and AJP (.633) pretty much stinking up the place.

    Even the rotation had issues, especially when compared to 2013...
    4.72 Peavy
    5.34 Buch
    6.07 Doubront

    It's easy to look for "ifs", but if HRam and Porcello had their 2016 seasons in 2015, maybe things would have turned out much differently.

    The rotation is often criticized, but their numbers looked better than the great rotation on paper in 2012, yet the 2012 numbers were 80 point higher in ERA over 2015.

    4.46 Miley
    4.92 Porcello
    4.82 Kelly
    3.85 ERod
    3.26 Buch
    3.96 Wright
    4.57 Owens


  2. #47
    2012 just started with bad juju. There's no way that season was going to work out with the cast of characters they left in there.

    2014 was a wing and a prayer.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  3. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Might be an unusual thing for me to say but I really never suffered at all through all of those ever so close years. 86 hurt badly because I truly felt that we were the best of the bunch. It has always been about the season for me. i ran marathons and i believe that the baseball season is much like running one of those. it is about patience and just hanging in there - gutting things out. Winning championships is a fortunate bonus that came along for all of us to enjoy. Boston is the city of champions as far as I am concerned. I actually love the experience of the season much more than I do the playoff season to be honest with you. You have to get there first before you can win though. That is probably why I don't get too engaged when the talk turns to who performs better or best when the playoffs start. I will always take my chances with the guys who can get us there. I'm enjoying the Celtics right now but I will anxiously await the beginning of spring training. I like the cycle.
    I'm with you on this.

    It also helps to live near a major leagues city as we do.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  4. #49
    Never liked the guy, like, at all, but I hope he helps the Sox.

  5. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I think the only years I really have a bone to pick with were 2005, 2012 and 2014.

    It makes sense that there would be a let down no matter what in 2005, but that rotation was really bad.

    They should have made more of an effort in 2012 to remove some of the clubhouse stink and BV shouldn't have been allowed through the door.

    2014 was similar to 2005, but it really felt like just throwing shit at the wall and hoping every young player worked out. That was the year Xander was moved to 3b, brought in Rusney, and Middlebrooks was given his last chance. The opening day roster included Pierzynski, Nava, Grady Sizemore, Mike Carp and Jake Peavy. There's no way that would work long term.
    I realize that some of those teams didn't work out as planned, but to my knowledge, every one of the teams were projected to get into the postseason. I also realize that projections don't mean anything and that the games still have to be played, but my point is that the GMs did their jobs in the offseason. I have felt excited entering every season.

    That, to me, is different than knowing you have a bad team and won't make the playoffs even before the season starts.

  6. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I realize that some of those teams didn't work out as planned, but to my knowledge, every one of the teams were projected to get into the postseason. I also realize that projections don't mean anything and that the games still have to be played, but my point is that the GMs did their jobs in the offseason. I have felt excited entering every season.
    You're right, since 2002 there haven't been any teams you knew were toast before the season even began. That's a pretty impressive run.

  7. #52
    Until the awful Cliff Years starting in 2021, of course. It'll be the end of an almost 20-year run.

  8. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Until the awful Cliff Years starting in 2021, of course. It'll be the end of an almost 20-year run.
    Well, that was kind of my point, but I didn't want to dwell on it any more.

    At least with Ben's last place finishes, the teams were expected to contend. If we do indeed hit a cliff, then we may have years where the team is projected to finish in last place.

  9. #54
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/preview15/st...015-mlb-season

    In 2015, only 3 out of 15 ESPN people thought they'd get into the postseason.

    It was harder to find rankings for years prior to that.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  10. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/preview15/st...015-mlb-season

    In 2015, only 3 out of 15 ESPN people thought they'd get into the postseason.

    It was harder to find rankings for years prior to that.
    2014: https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2...t-predictions/

    1 out of 4 had us at 1st place (2 of 4 in second)


    Bleacher Report had us winning the wild card.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...nd-predictions

  11. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    This board is tough on any move or change made. LaRussa is a proven baseball man and having him to advise and support on acquisitions, both of coaches and players, can be seen as a plus. Perhaps he will have additional roles as well. Glad to see him join the team.
    LaRussa was behind the Shelby Miller fiasco. Now, that might be the only thing I've got on him, but it's not in the Plus column.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Hate will fuel your rage, drugs will get you high, money buys respect, love will get you by.

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  12. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Examiner View Post
    Never liked the guy, like, at all, but I hope he helps the Sox.
    by resigning immediately.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Hate will fuel your rage, drugs will get you high, money buys respect, love will get you by.

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  13. #58
    Is Larussa going to be the Cora whisperer? I can not figure out what he brings to the table???

  14. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Is Larussa going to be the Cora whisperer? I can not figure out what he brings to the table???
    I think he will be a DD whisperer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •