Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kluber won AL Cy Young

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar

Kluber won AL Cy Young

Wasn't even close, 28-2. That swoon to end the season really hurt.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Kluber deserved to win.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

good think JF blew out Sales arm to get those 300 k's. #personalgoals > #teamgoals
    enjoy the unemployment line JF!
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    good think JF blew out Sales arm to get those 300 k's. #personalgoals > #teamgoals
    There's nothing he could have done about it!!! It's Sale's fault for not being able to throw 300 innings.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Kluber had a 12.79 ERA against the Yankees. He must have also pitched too many innings. Nice work Tito!

FranCOMA
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    Kluber was magnificent. Sale sputtered down the stretch - I do think Farrell's options were limited here though. The non-Sale parts of the rotation had flaws in performance and/or bulk which forced a lot of bullpen usage.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Kluber was magnificent. Sale sputtered down the stretch - I do think Farrell's options were limited here though. The non-Sale parts of the rotation had flaws in performance and/or bulk which forced a lot of bullpen usage.
    Well said.

Congrats to Kluber. Well deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    There's nothing he could have done about it!!! It's Sale's fault for not being able to throw 300 innings.
    This. If your ace cant make it an entire season and play well in the playoffs he shouldn't be your ace...... It's that simple. Sale needs to put some weight on in the off season so he can last longer through the season. He looked burnt out as soon as the All Star Break was over. That just shouldn't happen when you are expected to be the Ace of a team. He played well as a reliever against Houston but outside of that his second half of the season was night and day to the first half...... and in my opinion that is not JF's fault what so ever.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    This. If your ace cant make it an entire season and play well in the playoffs he shouldn't be your ace...... It's that simple. Sale needs to put some weight on in the off season so he can last longer through the season. He looked burnt out as soon as the All Star Break was over. That just shouldn't happen when you are expected to be the Ace of a team. He played well as a reliever against Houston but outside of that his second half of the season was night and day to the first half...... and in my opinion that is not JF's fault what so ever.
    I think you missed the sarcasm. 300IP is 33 complete games.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Ummm... don't you have that backwards?

Farrell overused Sale when the Sox needed to win down the stretch. And that overuse likely cost Sale the Cy Young. I'm fairly certain this means it was for a team goal over a personal goal.

But I can see your complaint, if you prefer Cy Young winners over AL East winners....

It is possible to have both.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

Farrell overused Sale when the Sox needed to win down the stretch. And that overuse likely cost Sale the Cy Young. I'm fairly certain this means it was for a team goal over a personal goal.

But I can see your complaint, if you prefer Cy Young winners over AL East winners....
    In general I defended Farrell's use of Sale. But the complaints about Farrell using Sale for 8 innings and 111 pitches in the September 20 game where he reached 300 K's may well be justified, especially when viewed with the wonderful clarity of hindsight. Farrell could easily have removed Sale after 6 innings in that one. Sale pitching like crap in the next 2 games doesn't help Farrell's case.
    Last edited by Bellhorn04; 11-19-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

The idea of resting Sale more during the season has merit, but not in the last week of baseball when you are fighting for the division. IMO, that makes no sense. I know for a fact that if Farrell had rested Sale and the Sox ended up losing the division, we'd never hear the end of how stupid Farrell was for not starting his best pitcher.

Farrell got crucified for pushing Sale back one start before the west coast trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    In general I defended Farrell's use of Sale. But the complaints about Farrell using Sale for 8 innings and 111 pitches in the September 20 game where he reached 300 K's may well be justified, especially when viewed with the wonderful clarity of hindsight. Farrell could easily have removed Sale after 6 innings in that one. Sale pitching like crap in the next 2 games don't help Farrell's case.
    That's a fair point. OTOH, there's also the point of saving the pen arms when possible.

I can understand the argument for taking Sale out of that game, but I had no problem with leaving him in the game. He was breezing through that game.