Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Hall of Fame Class

2018 Hall of Fame Class

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/11/06/...ballot-is-out/

Modern Baseball Era Committee has released the 10 names they are considering:

Steve Garvey
    Tommy John
    Don Mattingly
    Marvin Miller
    Jack Morris
    Dale Murphy
    Dave Parker
    Ted Simmons
    Luis Tiant
    Alan Trammell

Trammell deserves to be in. Marvin Miller, the long time MLBPA Executive Director, probably should be in. Maybe Tiant? I don't think any of the other guys are really deserving. The fact that Bobby Grich and Lou Whitaker isn't on this list is a travesty. They are far more deserving than Parker, Murphy, Morris, Mattingly or Garvey.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

i dont think the veterans committee has ever voted someone in?

I will be up at Cooperstown for this year's induction as my 12U boys will be at a tournament that week. will be my first time visiting the HoF.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    i dont think the veterans committee has ever voted someone in?

I will be up at Cooperstown for this year's induction as my 12U boys will be at a tournament that week. will be my first time visiting the HoF.
    There have been numerous different committees that have voted players and executives in. Guys like Ron Santo have been voted in posthumously. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_Committee

https://www.amazon.com/Cooperstown-C.../dp/1250071216

I just started reading this last week. The Hall of Fame is basically a shit show.

1. Luis Tiant
    2. Tommy John Surgery

IMO, the HOF should be reserved or the truly, truly elite. Someone once said that if people have to debate about whether a player should get in or not, then he probably shouldn't get in. Makes sense to me.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    IMO, the HOF should be reserved or the truly, truly elite. Someone once said that if people have to debate about whether a player should get in or not, then he probably shouldn't get in. Makes sense to me.
    Agreed. Once the lowest guy is in, that becomes the new benchmark, and before long, we've got the Hall of the Very Good. You can't set specific targets, because that will affect how guys play the game, putting their stats first.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Luis Tiant should be in, I think. His WAR is high enough.

Jack Morris is right on the cusp. Baseball reference has him above the average HOFer in grey ink, but below in black ink. He's over by a lot in the Hall of Fame monitor but below in the standards. Also, his memorable moment throwing a 10 inning CG SO in game 7 of the world series
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    Agreed. Once the lowest guy is in, that becomes the new benchmark, and before long, we've got the Hall of the Very Good. You can set specific targets, because that will affect how guys play the game, putting their stats first.
    Like it or not, every Hall of Fame ends up as a Hall of the Very Good. It's more fun to have more inductees and more ceremonies, so the bar does get dropped a bit.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Like it or not, every Hall of Fame ends up as a Hall of the Very Good. It's more fun to have more inductees and more ceremonies, so the bar does get dropped a bit.
    Yep. Same with retired numbers for a lot of teams.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

For a period of time, Dale Murphy was one of the most dominant players in the game. I'm not sure if I see the argument for letting Jim Rice in but not Dale Murphy.

If you let Phil Rizzuto in, you probably need to let Trammel in as well. With that said, Rizzuto never should have made the HOF and I'm not sold on Trammel either, not enough offensive output. Take away Trammel's 1987 season and there isn't enough power numbers or high batting averages for me. He was great in 1987 but I may need a few more seasons like that one before letting him in.

Thank you, Joe Morgan. This will hopefully keep Bonds and Clemons out.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ball-hall-fame

The HOF needs to pass a rule: if evidence surfaces that a HOF took PEDs, the HOF should be able to take executive action of some sort and immediately remove that player from the HOF. The fear is that conclusive evidence will surface of PED use by guys like Piazza, Bagwell, and Ivan Rodriguez. If that happens, you remove that player from the Hall. It's that simple.

It'll be interesting to see the % of vote that Bonds and Clemons receive this year. I think their support will go down. That will be a bad sign for drug addicts like Manny and A-Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    Thank you, Joe Morgan. This will hopefully keep Bonds and Clemons out.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ball-hall-fame

The HOF needs to pass a rule: if evidence surfaces that a HOF took PEDs, the HOF should be able to take executive action of some sort and immediately remove that player from the HOF. The fear is that conclusive evidence will surface of PED use by guys like Piazza, Bagwell, and Ivan Rodriguez. If that happens, you remove that player from the Hall. It's that simple.

It'll be interesting to see the % of vote that Bonds and Clemons receive this year. I think their support will go down. That will be a bad sign for drug addicts like Manny and A-Rod.
    I agree with you, but the problem is with the ones who were never caught or those who were very popular among the press will get in.

For example Rickey Henderson & Mike Piazza were never caught and are already in the HOF, basically the "best cheater" will be rewarded. I agree that there are no solid reports of them linked to PED's but in the Henderson case he was with the A's when almost everybody in that clubhouse was using for me is very suspicious; and with Piazza you just need to see the numbers in his peak years and those were huge in a very demanding position during the PED rampage years.

There might be a few cheaters already in the HOF which we don't know about, there's no way that the voting will ever be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    I agree with you, but the problem is with the ones who were never caught or those who were very popular among the press will get in.

For example Rickey Henderson & Mike Piazza were never caught and are already in the HOF, basically the "best cheater" will be rewarded. I agree that there are no solid reports of them linked to PED's but in the Henderson case he was with the A's when almost everybody in that clubhouse was using for me is very suspicious; and with Piazza you just need to see the numbers in his peak years and those were huge in a very demanding position during the PED rampage years.

There might be a few cheaters already in the HOF which we don't know about, there's no way that the voting will ever be fair.
    Agree 100%.

I would also note there have been some articles criticizing Morgan's letter as inappropriate.