Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Hall of Fame Class

With all the stats available to us now, someone who has never watched a game can do as good a job handing out the awards and honors as anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Papi won't get in then.
    He might not get in. The voters will have to decide if he really failed that test or if that info was incorrect. If he really failed the test, they should keep him out.

But Ortiz's candidacy is an issue for several reasons--the DH thing too. To be sure, he won't make it in his first year of eligibility. He will be a controversial candidate.

Manny might not even get enough support to make the ballot the second time. That's the key for me--getting these guys off the ballot ASAP so that we don't have to talk about it every year (I think that happened to R.Palmerio).

Bonds and Clemons were always in that grey area because they were great players prior to juicing. In fact, they would both be in the HOF if they didn't cheat the game. Of course, take away steroids and Bonds doesn't turn into Babe Ruth at the age of 35 (and wouldn't be the all time HR leader) and Clemons would have fewer Cy Youngs, and so keeping them out is now the only acceptable course of action.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 12-26-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    All Former players and managers should vote. No sportswriters and absolutely no geeks. People who played the game are in the best position to judge greatness.
    No, people who played the game are not in the best position to judge recipients of these awards. They are biased and vote largely based on reputation. Would they do a better job than sportswriters? Perhaps. But they would not do a better job than the geeks.

Managers have voted on the Gold Gloves for ages, and that award is considered probably the largest joke of all the awards. Managers have gotten it very, very wrong. It is only recently that the Gold Gloves have gained an ounce of respectability, after they added the sabermetric component.

The geeks would get it right, as is evidenced by the Fielding Bible Awards.

They are also a very biased source.
    !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    With all the stats available to us now, someone who has never watched a game can do as good a job handing out the awards and honors as anyone.
    They could do a better job. Guaranteed.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    I agree with you, but the problem is with the ones who were never caught or those who were very popular among the press will get in.

For example Rickey Henderson & Mike Piazza were never caught and are already in the HOF, basically the "best cheater" will be rewarded. I agree that there are no solid reports of them linked to PED's but in the Henderson case he was with the A's when almost everybody in that clubhouse was using for me is very suspicious; and with Piazza you just need to see the numbers in his peak years and those were huge in a very demanding position during the PED rampage

Using this logic, Roger Maris was clearly using steroids despite many of them not being invented and all ofthem ccompletely absent from baseball during his career. ..

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    No, people who played the game are not in the best position to judge recipients of these awards. They are biased and vote largely based on reputation. Would they do a better job than sportswriters? Perhaps. But they would not do a better job than the geeks.

Managers have voted on the Gold Gloves for ages, and that award is considered probably the largest joke of all the awards. Managers have gotten it very, very wrong. It is only recently that the Gold Gloves have gained an ounce of respectability, after they added the sabermetric component.

The geeks would get it right, as is evidenced by the Fielding Bible Awards.
    The argument for players and managers voting should have died completely when they awarded a Gold Glove to a player who spent the overwhelming majority of the season as a DH and played only 28 games in the field...

Isn't that what all the veteran's committee bullshit is? They went years and years without electing anyone. Back in the day, players just selected their buddies for the HOF.
    It is their club. They should decide. There need to be standards which I am pretty sure would be enforced. They don't want to dilute their own accomplishments. The veterans committee has been far from a free pass. Very few players have made it that way and some very deserving players have not made it -- like Gil Hodges imo.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

The argument for players and managers voting should have died completely when they awarded a Gold Glove to a player who spent the overwhelming majority of the season as a DH and played only 28 games in the field...
    current players and managers should not get a vote. Only HOF members should get a vote. They would not dilute their own accomplishments. That HOF next to their signatures carries a hefty $. Less players would make it if the HOF members voted, imo.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    current players and managers should not get a vote. Only HOF members should get a vote. They would not dilute their own accomplishments. That HOF next to their signatures carries a hefty $. Less players would make it if the HOF members voted, imo.
    Isn't that essentially the Veteran's Committee? They almost never vote anyone in.

Santo was elected by the Golden Era Committee or Golden Age Committee or something like that, and I'm not sure who's on that one. Electing Santo was the first thing thry did upon formation...
    Last edited by notin; 01-01-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Deity
    It is their club. They should decide. There need to be standards which I am pretty sure would be enforced. They don't want to dilute their own accomplishments. The veterans committee has been far from a free pass. Very few players have made it that way and some very deserving players have not made it -- like Gil Hodges imo.
    Arguably it's a museum and not really a club, although elected members do apparently feel different. I think it gets too personal at that point. Although I also think the BBWAA has made some really questionable selections as well.

Not sure why the Hall itself can't handle the process internally...

HOF members are the sole reason the worst of the worst got into the Hall in the first place. It was an old boys club that allowed their buddies to get in over far deserving players.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I can't recommend this book enough: https://www.amazon.com/Cooperstown-C.../dp/1250071216

Even if you don't agree with who he wants selected, the first few chapters are invaluable to any discussion concerning how players have voted into the Hall.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

HOF members are the sole reason the worst of the worst got into the Hall in the first place. It was an old boys club that allowed their buddies to get in over far deserving players.
    I disagree.

Deity
    I can agree with that.

They kept out Gil Hodges and Luis Tiant and Carl Mays but let in Bill Mazeroski and Dave Bancroft...
    Last edited by notin; 01-13-2018 at 09:32 AM.