Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top C prospect Daniel Flores dies

Rip. Thoughts with his family
    other names i have posted under: none

Damn. RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

@alexscherff23

Rest In Peace Daniel Flores...most talented catcher I have ever seen and such a joy to be around.

Lots of love from his Sox teammates that he played with in instructs. Everyone is heartbroken and he was a great human being. Very sad.

Yahoo sports reported he died from pancreatic cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Yahoo sports reported he died from pancreatic cancer.
    Wow. That is the kiss of death.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I am unsure if he actually died from pancreatic cancer at that age. Maybe Yahoo got it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    I am unsure if he actually died from pancreatic cancer at that age. Maybe Yahoo got it wrong.
    It said complications from medical treatment. Surgery gone wrong? Reaction to drugs he was given?

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    As I have said many times, two words one never wants to hear in the same sentence are "cancer" and "pancreas". Ugh
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

All-Star
    It's just a horrific story all around...I'm not sure I'd even want to know more details.

My nephew sent me a photo of Flores facing my Great Nephew last February. In the photo, Flores looked to be a big kid, physically very mature. He told me that DD was there to sign the kid. They were very high on him. Just so tragic.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Shocking.

Did anyone know he even had cancer?
    The announcement of his passing is the first I heard anything about him having cancer. From all I read he was a future star with a bright future. It really shocking when someone so young passes. RIP!

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    The announcement of his passing is the first I heard anything about him having cancer. From all I read he was a future star with a bright future. It really shocking when someone so young passes. RIP!
    There was an announcement that he had a serious illness was made very shortly before he died. I didn't see that release until after he died.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

He was diagnosed last month with metastatic, terminal testicular cancer. He only started to complain about back pain last month. Insane that he didn’t lose weight or have pain.

MLBTR reports...

Red Sox catcher prospect Daniel Flores passed away Wednesday over complications stemming from cancer treatment, but he was only diagnosed with the disease (testicular cancer) in late October, family friend Jose Salas Jr. told Alex Speier of the Boston Globe. “When we saw it was bad, we did CT scans, X-rays, and stuff, and it was way too late, it was already too late,” said Salas, who was also Flores’ trainer. “He was so strong that he wouldn’t feel pain. . . . There were no indications, nothing suspicious, no negligence, there was nothing. . . . I don’t know what to tell you.” Flores was playing in the Dominican Republic instructional league shortly before he received his diagnosis, which came after he complained of back pain, and teammate and pitching prospect Alex Scherff informed Speier that “you literally couldn’t have been able to see that he was in that condition at all. He completely dominates the game. He’s the best catcher I’ve ever seen, no doubt in my mind at all.” Speier’s piece, which further profiles Flores and includes more quotes from Salas and Scherff, is certainly worth checking out in full.