Register now to remove this ad

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: R.I.P.Bobby Doerr

  1. #1

    R.I.P.Bobby Doerr



    BOSTON —
    Legendary Red Sox second baseman Bobby Doerr passed away Monday in Oregon at age 99, the team said.
    "Born on April 7, 1918 in Los Angeles, Doerr was the oldest living major league player prior to his passing," the team said. "He is the only member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame to live to be 99 years old."

    Doerr began his Red Sox career in 1937 at only 19 years old. He batted .288 with 2,042 hits, 381 doubles, 89 triples and 223 home runs in his career.

    He spent each of his 14 years as a player in Boston, before retiring at age 33 due to a back injury. A few years later, he returned as a scout for the team and then as a first base coach and hitting instructor.
    He spent a total of 27 years in Boston.

    Doerr was also the hitting coach for the Toronto Blue Jays in the first five years of that franchise's existence.

    “He set the standard for what it means to be a good teammate through abiding friendships with Ted Williams, Johnny Pesky, and Dom DiMaggio, all while realizing legendary status on the diamond," Red Sox Chairman Tom Werner said. "He touched us all with his class and dignity, and will remain an example and an inspiration for generations of players to come.”


    Doerr was immortalized in bronze as one of the four players in the "Teammates" statue outside Fenway Park, along with Dom DiMaggio, Johnny Pesky and Ted Williams.
    “Bobby was a special player, to be sure, a Hall of Famer, but he also commanded universal respect from all those fortunate enough to have crossed his path," said Red Sox President and CEO Sam Kennedy." We celebrated his return every time he came back to us here at Fenway Park, and we now mourn his passing, grateful for the wonderful memories he left.”

    Doerr is survived by his son, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. The family asks that any donations be made to one of the following organizations:
    Junction City Retirement and Assisted Living Community: 500 East 6th Ave., Junction City, OR 97448
    PeaceHealth Hospice Care: 677 East 12th Ave., Suite N-110, Eugene, OR 97401

    http://www.wcvb.com/article/red-sox-legend-bobby-doerr-dies-at-age-99/13570302
    Last edited by a700hitter; 11-14-2017 at 11:16 AM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  2. #2
    Doerr was one of the good guys. There is no denying that. My friend's Dad grew up in Massachusetts. I don't remember the town, but his biggest thrill when he was in grade school was an unannounced visit by Ted Williams and Bobby Doerr. Can you imagine that!
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This is true. Baseball is such a random sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Doerr was one of the good guys. There is no denying that. My friend's Dad grew up in Massachusetts. I don't remember the town, but his biggest thrill when he was in grade school was an unannounced visit by Ted Williams and Bobby Doerr. Can you imagine that!
    He was one of my favorite players and a member of my favorite team in 1949. Thats when players often stayed with their teams throughout their careers.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    He was one of my favorite players and a member of my favorite team in 1949. Thats when players often stayed with their teams throughout their careers.
    Due to unfair labor practices that vastly underpaid employees.
    Fire Farrell - fucking check mark!
    Trade Pedroia
    Sign JD Martinez to play 1B/DH
    Sign Alex Cora for MGR - check plus!

  5. #5
    RIP.
    looking forward to hearing firsthand stories about Doerr from Mal.
    other names i have posted under: none

  6. #6
    RIP. I need to give the Teammates book another try.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Hate will fuel your rage, drugs will get you high, money buys respect, love will get you by.

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •