Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kluber won AL Cy Young

I meant what's the difference with the fans and posters?

It took us to see if first hand rather than rely on the long-standing data?

That fits (in my eyes).

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

That fits (in my eyes).
    There's no simple answer, really. We didn't clinch the division till the second-last day of the season so it was no easy matter to give rest to our best starter.

We may get in the exact same bind again next year. Right now we're all optimistic that we'll be able to get him that extra rest - because the offseason is a time of optimism.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    There's no simple answer, really. We didn't clinch the division till the second-last day of the season so it was no easy matter to give rest to our best starter.

We may get in the exact same bind again next year. Right now we're all optimistic that we'll be able to get him that extra rest - because the offseason is a time of optimism.

That's the way I see it, anyway.
    There were a few chances to remove Sale from a game earlier without really risking a loss.

I think we should have done that this year. I think we have to do that next year.

With 5 more days off next year, we could give sale an extra day 5 more times plus yank him earlier maybe 5 times more than this year.

There's no way of knowing, if that's enough, but, to me, it's worth the risk.

(Personally, I'd do even more than that.)

Should have seen it this year.

For those who pushed back on the idea this year, whats dif'ferent about next year?
    I would have pushed some of his starts back this year, but not in the last 2 weeks of the season when it's crunch time. I was actually okay with Farrell choosing to start Fister over Sale to give Sale an extra day of rest earlier in the season.

That said, being able to give any pitcher an extra day of rest here and there, or being able to pull a starter from a game early depends a lot on the circumstances of the season to date. If the other starters are typically pitching less than 6 innings per start, that's a lot of work for the bullpen.

That fits (in my eyes).
    I have always agreed with a manager's philosophy of 'managing the marathon'. If it would serve the team better in the long run to give Sale an extra day of rest in July, then I would give it to him, even if it might cost us that game.

I think there are others here who are more in the 'every game counts' camp and that a manager should do whatever it takes to win every game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I would have pushed some of his starts back this year, but not in the last 2 weeks of the season when it's crunch time. I was actually okay with Farrell choosing to start Fister over Sale to give Sale an extra day of rest earlier in the season.

That said, being able to give any pitcher an extra day of rest here and there, or being able to pull a starter from a game early depends a lot on the circumstances of the season to date. If the other starters are typically pitching less than 6 innings per start, that's a lot of work for the bullpen.
    My biggest beef at the end of the year was that game JF kept him in for 8 innings of a blow-out vs BAL. There was another game in SEPT we were up 9-0 in the 3rd inning. I think JF yanked him after 6, but he could have taken him out after 4 or 5 innings.

I doubt those 4-5 innings combined makes a big difference, but it might have helped.

My biggest beef at the end of the year was that game JF kept him in for 8 innings of a blow-out vs BAL. There was another game in SEPT we were up 9-0 in the 3rd inning. I think JF yanked him after 6, but he could have taken him out after 4 or 5 innings.

I doubt those 4-5 innings combined makes a big difference, but it might have helped.
    I understand your point. I can see both sides to that argument.

At any rate, Farrell is gone. It will be interesting to watch Cora's style of managing.