Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Martinez vs Hosmer vs Santana

I think you DH JD Martinez and look for a platoon partner for Hanley at 1b. That would keep Hanley's option from vesting.

It's not a "deathnail", but when counting the luxury tax, it's enough to prevent us from signing a very significant player or holding off an extension for a year.
    I want the Red Sox to sign Machado next year for SS. I don't want Hanley's contract to get in the way of paying Machado.

I would keep away from Santana. I don't like his body and he is a little older than JD Martinez. Wow, he is much older, he played at Woodstock before JD Martinez was ever born.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 11-21-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    I think you DH JD Martinez and look for a platoon partner for Hanley at 1b. That would keep Hanley's option from vesting.

I want the Red Sox to sign Machado next year for SS. I don't want Hanley's contract to get in the way of paying Machado.

I would keep away from Santana. I don't like his body and he is a little older than JD Martinez. Wow, he is much older, he played at Woodstock before JD Martinez was ever born.
    LOL.

Then, sign JD Martinez, Lucas Duda and a decent pitcher and call it a successful winter.

JD plays 20 games in the OF- mostly in NL Parks or to rest an OF'er. He plays 135 games at DH.

HRam plays 1B for 100-130 games.

Duda plays 1B for the remainder and a little DH.

Not a bad idea. At least if Machado is playing for the Red Sox he's not putting Red Sox players on the DL and/or shortening their careers. It'll be players on other teams.

JUST SAY NO to Manny Machado.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Pass on Hosmer. He isn't enough of an offensive upgrade-I think his career OPS+ is just 111 or so, vs JD's 130. JD can DH; HanRam can either play 1B or be traded for a can or two of beans and sign Santana as well.
    I'm pretty sure Moon made a typo there. He is dead set against getting Hosmer if anything.

For the record, so am I. He is not a big enough upgrade from Moreland to justify the expense and he does not offer enough of what the Sox need to fortify their offense.

Nice, guy, good player, just not what the Sox need.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Playing Hanley at first base would probably mean his contract would vest for 2019. I certainly hope we can avoid being tied down for another $22 million for an ageing player of average skills.
    I am with you on this.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

He kicked ass at Woodstock. Many saw him for the first time and were in awe.

It all comes down to the price tag, mainly in terms of years. My first choice is Martinez, but I wouldn't sign him for a 6+ year deal. Santana is actually a better fit for us, but he has a QO attached to him, which IMO, is no small thing.

If we do sign Martinez, I hope it's to play 1B/DH, with an occasional start in the OF. I really do not want to break up the OF that we have.

Yes, dead set against Hosmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It all comes down to the price tag, mainly in terms of years. My first choice is Martinez, but I wouldn't sign him for a 6+ year deal. Santana is actually a better fit for us, but he has a QO attached to him, which IMO, is no small thing.

If we do sign Martinez, I hope it's to play 1B/DH, with an occasional start in the OF. I really do not want to break up the OF that we have.
    I don't want to break up the OF either.

JD at DH with maybe 20 games in the OF is fine with me. He'd be a very expensive DH, but we need power, and he's not a QO free agent.

I'd also sign Duda. With about 180 games available at DH/1B, Duda would complement HRam nicely and be there to take over, if HRam stumbles or gets injured.

Hasn’t Martinez missed significant tim with injury in four of the last five years?

Did either hosmer and Santana receive a qo?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Hasn’t Martinez missed significant tim with injury in four of the last five years?

Did either hosmer and Santana receive a qo?
    Hosmer & Santana got QOs.

JD has missed some time (elbow and ankle), but I believe he was not really a FT player until 2014 or so.

If we sign him, he should be our DH.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 11-21-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Lucas Duda since 2014

Duda vs RHPs since 2014....

ISO
    .260 (9th in MLB)
    (JD Martinez is 19th at .259/Bryce Harper is 8th at .261.)

OPS (800+ PAs)
    .861 (27th out of 271 players)
    22nd out of all players with 1400+ PAs

Duda has averages 32 HRs per 650 PAs vs RHPs since 2014.

I'd like to see us get Duda to compliment HRam at 1B and cover for any injury to HRam or Martinez.

Deity

If you want Machado, maybe the key is to sign Yonder Alonso to play 1b for a few years...

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Duda vs RHPs since 2014....

ISO
    .260 (9th in MLB)
    (JD Martinez is 19th at .259/Bryce Harper is 8th at .261.)

OPS (800+ PAs)
    .861 (27th out of 271 players)
    22nd out of all players with 1400+ PAs

Duda has averages 32 HRs per 650 PAs vs RHPs since 2014.

I'd like to see us get Duda to compliment HRam at 1B and cover for any injury to HRam or Martinez.
    Doesn’t Duda strike out about 200 times more than Napoli per season?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Doesn’t Duda strike out about 200 times more than Napoli per season?
    Who cares: just hit .850 with 28-30 HRs for about $6M/ 1 year.