Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Case for signing Shohei Otani

Thanks for the sox international cap update. Yes, 400k is not a lot too offer in terms of a bonus. Can the Red Sox trade in money from next year to this year to sign Ohtani?

There is one article that suggested the Red Sox could do something like that to sign the released Braves prospects:
    https://www.overthemonster.com/2017/...ave-dombrowski

And as someone mentioned Scouts believe that Ohtani has 3 plus pitches, his fastball and 2 offspeed pitches.

I feel like AL is best fit because you can just slide him to DH to get him some at bats easily.

Red Sox actually need a good DH/power bat so if Otani develops he could be a 2 for 1 deal! The kid hit for over 900 ops in each of the past 2 years in Japan although it's a lower league, if we saw those numbers in triple A or even double A we would be pumped about that hitting prospect!

I hear Fred's concern about Matsuzaka. But DiceK never had the velocity this kid does. Over in JP DiceK was hitting around 94 mph with his fastball.
    Meanwhile Otani, who is now 6-5 btw, has hit 102mph on the radar gun! He averaged nearly 12 K's per 9 in JP.
    So he is not going to have to nibble around the corners to get outs and hope his breaking ball hits, he can be the flamethrower type who gets a lot of outs with his fastball first, and then use his breaking stuff to get nasty cos they are afraid to swing late on the heat.
    Because of this I project Otani to more of a Darvish type, who is a 4 time all-star in the AL, thus more likely to make it in the MLB.
    Last edited by vjcsmoke; 11-28-2017 at 05:26 PM.

If signing Ohtani required giving him a big contract, I'd say he isn't worth the risk. But since he will be playing or league minimum there's no harm in trying to nab him. I think the Sox should make a big push for him, not that I think it will matter. IMO, Ohtani is headed for the Evil Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    If signing Ohtani required giving him a big contract, I'd say he isn't worth the risk. But since he will be playing or league minimum there's no harm in trying to nab him. I think the Sox should make a big push for him, not that I think it will matter. IMO, Ohtani is headed for the Evil Empire.
    If I had to bet the west coast field vs the Yanks, I'd take the west coast.

Quote Originally Posted by vjcsmoke View Post
    Thanks for the sox international cap update. Yes, 400k is not a lot too offer in terms of a bonus. Can the Red Sox trade in money from next year to this year to sign Ohtani?

There is one article that suggested the Red Sox could do something like that to sign the released Braves prospects:
    https://www.overthemonster.com/2017/...ave-dombrowski

And as someone mentioned Scouts believe that Ohtani has 3 plus pitches, his fastball and 2 offspeed pitches.

I feel like AL is best fit because you can just slide him to DH to get him some at bats easily.

Red Sox actually need a good DH/power bat so if Otani develops he could be a 2 for 1 deal! The kid hit for over 900 ops in each of the past 2 years in Japan although it's a lower league, if we saw those numbers in triple A or even double A we would be pumped about that hitting prospect!

I hear Fred's concern about Matsuzaka. But DiceK never had the velocity this kid does. Over in JP DiceK was hitting around 94 mph with his fastball.
    Meanwhile Otani, who is now 6-5 btw, has hit 102mph on the radar gun! He averaged nearly 12 K's per 9 in JP.
    So he is not going to have to nibble around the corners to get outs and hope his breaking ball hits, he can be the flamethrower type who gets a lot of outs with his fastball first, and then use his breaking stuff to get nasty cos they are afraid to swing late on the heat.
    Because of this I project Otani to more of a Darvish type, who is a 4 time all-star in the AL, thus more likely to make it in the MLB.
    One big concern with Dice-K was how many pitched he had thrown in Japan before coming here.

What's the scoop on S. O. in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    If I had to bet the west coast field vs the Yanks, I'd take the west coast.
    I hope you're right.

Legend
    One big concern with Dice-K was how many pitched he had thrown in Japan before coming here.

What's the scoop on S. O. in that area?
    Shohei Ohtani, who turned 23 in July, has pitched 543 career innings for the Nippon Ham Fighter of Japan's Pacific League:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=otani-000sho

Daisuke Matsuzaka had pitched 1,493.2 innings for the Seibu Lions of the same league before joining the Red Sox at age 26:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...atsuda01.shtml
    Last edited by harmony; 11-28-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Shohei Ohtani, who turned 23 in July, has pitched 543 career innings for the Nippon Ham Fighter of Japan's Pacific League:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=otani-000sho

Daisuke Matsuzaka had pitched 1,493.2 innings for the Seibu Lions of the same league before joining the Red Sox at age 26:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...atsuda01.shtml
    Thanks.

I was hoping for pitch counts, but

SO 543 in 85 games (6.4 IP /game)
    DK 1424 in 209 games (6.8 IP/game)

@PeteAbe

No surprise, but Dave Dombrowski says the #RedSox will indeed get in the Ohtani race … Also, all-arb eligibles will be tendered on Friday as of now.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Jeremy Barfield
    @BarfontheField

I’m glad the @RedSox realized there’s no need to sign Shohei Ohtani when they already have me in the system. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Jeremy Barfield
    @BarfontheField

I’m glad the @RedSox realized there’s no need to sign Shohei Ohtani when they already have me in the system. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Gotta like a man with a sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Gotta like a man with a sense of humor.
    I'm a fan. Hope he can at least get a shot at a September call up someday.

Overhyped.

Will not come as advertised. Will not be given a serious opportunity to hit and pitch. Pitching arms are investments and are worth too much. How would the team that signs him ever explain why their 30 million dollar pitcher hurt his arm making a throw from the outfield when he is nothing more than a .220 hitter?

Hideki Irabu was their "Roger Clemens"
    Hideki Matsui was their perennial all star home run champion.
    Dice-K threw a Gyroball. The Gyroball doesn't exist. And he sucked.

None ever produced anywhere near the hype.

Ichiru is the only player that backed up the hype, and he just might be the greatest singles hitter in baseball history, replacing Pete Rose. Plus, an all time defender with plus speed.

We'll see.

We'll see.
    Yup, We will see. We'll see that once again, Japanese players are not even worth their posting fee, let alone long term contract.

Not signing ohtani is probably desperate dave’s Biggest failure to date.

I swear desperate dave could not get laid in a women's Prison even if he had a hand full of get out of jail free cards on him.