Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanton: I KNEW there was a reason I didn't like Jeter!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Jeter is a 4% owner - what makes you think he's the one calling the shots?
    My point exactly. he may appear as the face of the org. but really I doubt seriously his voice is as powerful as some think it is.

He negotiated his terms as president of baseball operations. He is technically the baseball ops guy

Jeter is a 4% owner - what makes you think he's the one calling the shots?
    He's not the one saying they need to cut $30M, but he's the one doing it (and then more).

That’s how a hierarchy works. The owners including Jeter set the budget. It’s on Jeter to execute the budget

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He's not the one saying they need to cut $30M, but he's the one doing it (and then more).
    Some of the stories I'm finding say they planned to cut the payroll by as much as $60 million.

The consensus of the stories seems to be they planned to cut the payroll by 30 million if they couldn't trade Stanton, but that they were going to try to trade him as well, bringing the total slash up to 55 or 60 million.

Here’s the rub. The team was hemorrhaging money. If they were to be good, they’d need to spend another $40+ mil on their rotation. The Marlins fans have proven that they don’t come out for winners or losers, so there’s be literally no ROI on a further monetary commitment. Once they decided they had to slash payroll, a full on rebuild is all they could do. I’d deal everyone. I’d lose for three or fours years, nab high picks, use the extra INTL money and do a full on rebuild. All the while enjoying a positive ROI after spending an obscene amount for the acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    That’s how a hierarchy works. The owners including Jeter set the budget. It’s on Jeter to execute the budget
    seriously...it's bad enough to read all the fucking "Yankees are the best at everything" posts on a Red Sox board....now we have to read your sucking off Jeter / Marlins bullshit as well???
    awesome..
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    seriously...it's bad enough to read all the fucking "Yankees are the best at everything" posts on a Red Sox board....now we have to read your sucking off Jeter / Marlins bullshit as well???
    awesome..
    Well, I wonder if you can read at all. You don't seem to listen or care about reality, but I'll try one more time. The former president of the Marlins was on the baseball show on XM radio. He said the Marlins lost money 3 years running, and by lost money, he insinuated it was 8 figures annually. The 2017 Marlins team was not good. It had good hitting and no pitching whatsoever. They were already getting more expensive. The new owners decided that they didn't want to lose every penny spent beyond their current commitments since they weren't going to increase revenue. They decided to sell. I am not defending anyone. I am just trying to point out that baseball is a business and expecting business owners to lose tens of millions of dollars a year is asinine
    Hal sucks

Based on our current President of Operations i do not judge that position to be truthful so i dont believe a word of the "lost money 3 years running" nonsense. there are dozens of stories by dozens of writers of dozens of newspapers that all say the same thing....Jeter got fleeced or was in cahoots with the NYY. google it.....
    everyone on the planet when the contract was signed knew that Giancarlo would be traded due to the backend $ increase of the contract. Jeter gave him to the yankees. perhaps is was retribution for allowing him to play ss after he threw the hissy fit when arod was traded for. whatever the reason...it's a bad look for derek.
    other names i have posted under: none

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Well, I wonder if you can read at all. You don't seem to listen or care about reality, but I'll try one more time. The former president of the Marlins was on the baseball show on XM radio. He said the Marlins lost money 3 years running, and by lost money, he insinuated it was 8 figures annually. The 2017 Marlins team was not good. It had good hitting and no pitching whatsoever. They were already getting more expensive. The new owners decided that they didn't want to lose every penny spent beyond their current commitments since they weren't going to increase revenue. They decided to sell. I am not defending anyone. I am just trying to point out that baseball is a business and expecting business owners to lose tens of millions of dollars a year is asinine
    The former president of the Marlins certainly has reason to say they were losing money while running the grift of tax payers and largely pocketing competitive balance money.

Given that the ownership group got greenlighted - that they would want to clear payroll does make sense. What makes less sense was putting the baseball operation in the hands of somebody with no background in any of the work such as Yeah Jeets - aside from brand recognition (which is something).

The bigger question was how MLB greenlighted a sale to a group with so comincally uncapitalized that their first move after buying the team was firing or selling off everybody who fans might want to see for 35 cents on the dollar despite having a new stadium more or less built for them.

sk, you win the day. I cannot begrudge the decision to sell. I cannot begrudge Jeter for what he had to do. But I can begrudge the Marlins from asking Jeter to run an organization with no front office experience
    Hal sucks

All along, I've been saying Stanton will not bring as big of a return as most think, but this was ridiculous. Jeter blew it by rushing the decision and allowing Stanton to narrow the choice to basically 1 team as the other 3 on GS's list were not serious bidders.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    All along, I've been saying Stanton will not bring as big of a return as most think, but this was ridiculous. Jeter blew it by rushing the decision and allowing Stanton to narrow the choice to basically 1 team as the other 3 on GS's list were not serious bidders.
    How many serious bidders were there that Stanton wanted to play for? The Dodgers apparently made a worse offer than the Yanks.

How many serious bidders were there that Stanton wanted to play for?
    He'd have widened the teams, once he started the season in Miami.