Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanton: I KNEW there was a reason I didn't like Jeter!

Stanton: I KNEW there was a reason I didn't like Jeter!

Let me preface: I have always hated the Yankees. Even before I learned that the Phil/KC A's served as a fucking AAA team for them for decades, I hated them. But in recent years as they slid into suckage I found myself going soft; actually pulling for them to do better.

Well, that shit is over. Jeter is a fucking mole for the Yanks and I can't believe there is so little about that discussed by the taking heads. Is NY paying off every sports writer in America???

So what are you guys gonna do to keep pace in the East

Jeter defends himself: "I'm just a patsy!"

Legend
    Despite the anticipated widespread criticism, the Miami front office made the right business decision.

I suspect the Marlins will exceed modest expectations on the field next year.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Despite the anticipated widespread criticism, the Miami front office made the right business decision.

I suspect the Marlins will exceed modest expectations on the field next year.
    Depends how you define 'modest' I guess.

So what are you guys gonna do to keep pace in the East?

Put out a hit on him?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Jeter defends himself: "I'm just a patsy!"

Bullshit...Jeter says nothing, shows up for nothing and does nothing... except MOLE.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Carter; 12-15-2017 at 03:51 PM.

I can understand fans not getting basic business sense, but the Stanton thing isn't on Jeter. Jeter had two deals in place, one with StL and another with SF. He accepted the packages and all he needed was Stanton to waive his NTC. He didn't. He came back with a list of 4 teams. The Cubs couldn't afford him as they had their own issues with payroll (especially the ridiculously bad contract of Heyward out there). The Astros are too busy trying to save cash to re-sign their impending FA's after 2018. The Dodgers are really trying to cut payroll in response to a likely opt out of their star pitcher. The Dodgers offer was amusing. AdGon and Kazmir for Stanton and $30 mil. No prospects, just dead contracts from players who probably aren't ever playing again plus $30 mil. When you consider the two viable options were the garbage LA offer and the Yankees offer, you see why Stanton is in pinstripes
    Hal sucks

Jeter only has a 4%, or 1/25th, shareholding of the team, I'm not sure how many people realize this.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I can understand fans not getting basic business sense, but the Stanton thing isn't on Jeter. Jeter had two deals in place, one with StL and another with SF. He accepted the packages and all he needed was Stanton to waive his NTC. He didn't. He came back with a list of 4 teams. The Cubs couldn't afford him as they had their own issues with payroll (especially the ridiculously bad contract of Heyward out there). The Astros are too busy trying to save cash to re-sign their impending FA's after 2018. The Dodgers are really trying to cut payroll in response to a likely opt out of their star pitcher. The Dodgers offer was amusing. AdGon and Kazmir for Stanton and $30 mil. No prospects, just dead contracts from players who probably aren't ever playing again plus $30 mil. When you consider the two viable options were the garbage LA offer and the Yankees offer, you see why Stanton is in pinstripes
    He had to cut $30M.

Trading Gordon, Ozuna, Vargas and Prado could have done that. He probably could have traded Stanton with 51 HRs at the deadline for more than he got from Cashman.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He had to cut $30M.

Trading Gordon, Ozuna, Vargas and Prado could have done that. He probably could have traded Stanton with 51 HRs at the deadline for more than he got from Cashman.
    Yes, they had to cut $30 mil, but what would they have been left with? They were a sub .500 team with a great offense, absolutely awful pitching staff, no farm system and no money to spend. Would you rather it be Giancarlo Stanton and the bumbling Marlins rumbling into stadiums losing 100 games but having Giancarlo hit 60 bombs? That's ridiculous. Once they determined that they had to trade off assets rather than add, they had to rebuild. Their farm was something like #28 in the game. It wont be after the rest is burnt to the ground for sure
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Yes, they had to cut $30 mil, but what would they have been left with? They were a sub .500 team with a great offense, absolutely awful pitching staff, no farm system and no money to spend. Would you rather it be Giancarlo Stanton and the bumbling Marlins rumbling into stadiums losing 100 games but having Giancarlo hit 60 bombs? That's ridiculous. Once they determined that they had to trade off assets rather than add, they had to rebuild. Their farm was something like #28 in the game. It wont be after the rest is burnt to the ground for sure
    Isn't that what they are now?

They dealt two of their 3 best players and got two minor league pitchers, only one of whom is remotely MLB-ready.

They could have waited to deal Stanton in July. They would pay only one half his salary this year, and Stanton might have expanded his acceptable teams. It's not like his list had any thought in it; all he did was name the four teams that played in the LCS last year.

By rushing the whole process, the Marlins let Stanton dictate everything and they dealt a reigning MVP for less prospects than it takes to get a half of a season of a closer...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    They could have waited to deal Stanton in July. They would pay only one half his salary this year, and Stanton might have expanded his acceptable teams. It's not like his list had any thought in it; all he did was name the four teams that played in the LCS last year.

By rushing the whole process, the Marlins let Stanton dictate everything and they dealt a reigning MVP for less prospects than it takes to get a half of a season of a closer...
    Waiting to deal him would have entailed some significant risk. He could have gotten hurt or off to a bad start.

And in the history of baseball how many teams have made a deadline trade for a $275 million contract?

Remember they put him on waivers this year and no one claimed him.

This way at least they were guaranteed to dump most of the contract.

Exactly. His stock was never higher coming off a 59 HR season

I can see why Jeter is now dumping everyone: they suck.

However, with Stanton's long term contract, they could have cut $30M elsewhere. They already have, actually.

Keeping Stanton could have done 3 things:

1) Keep some semblance of entertainment value for the team, at least until they trade him later.
    2) If the team rebuilds and can contend in 2,3 or 4 years, Stanton is still there.
    3) Stanton's trade value might be higher in July, and he might have expanded the teams he'd play for to just about anyone contending.

(I get the fact that he could have lost value due to injury or only having 15 HRs at the deadline, but I'd play the odds.)

Just because he hit 59 HRs this year, doesn't mean his trade value was highest and a rush trade had to be made. There was no rush. The $30M had already been slashed with other trades.

Exactly. His stock was never higher coming off a 59 HR season
    His stock fell when he named just 4 teams, and 3 had little interest.

Had Jeter told Stanton, "Look, we already cut $30M, I'm keeping you here, GS would have folded and expanded the list. He'd probably be in SF right now or within a month. .