Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Depth Argument

passed balls? really? thats what you are going to come back with for suspect quality. ok. i'll live with the PB's.

prior to 2016? really? oh yeah. lets go back to living in the 20th century when you actually had parades.

pretty sure Cora has HanRam penciled in for 1b at the moment.

Red Sox: 19 BSv / 83 Hold / 28 IS%
    MFY: 23 BSv / 71 Hold / 27 IS%

one team won the division because of RP. the other was the WC.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Farrell ruined his career.
    I thinks so.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Legend
    The rotation depth thing is worth exploring ... there will probably be a "Fister-esque" name or two who will shake out and be available for a 1-year deal.

Brett Anderson, bringing John Lackey back, Andrew Cashner ... Porcello is sort of what he is - can soak up a ton of innings, and if he can keep the ball in the ballpark - he can be very good.

Good thread.

Jacko, next we should start one about the Yankees tremendous depth. And then one about how the Yankees have already locked up the East until 2020

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Good thread.

Jacko, next we should start one about the Yankees tremendous depth. And then one about how the Yankees have already locked up the East until 2020
    What is funny is that if I didn't know better - I'd have forgotten that the Red Sox won the division with a pretty young core as far as these things go.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    What is funny is that if I didn't know better - I'd have forgotten that the Red Sox won the division with a pretty young core as far as these things go.
    I was being jocular. A Yankees fan starting a thread on the Red Sox board about the shortcomings of the Red Sox.. why stop there??

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Love you too slasher. The sox catching defense is above average. Vasquez and Leon are top 12 in pitch framing. They also put together the second best CS% and the 3rd toughest team to run on in baseball. But their defense isnt without its warts. They were tied for 7th in errors at the C position and were 3rd in passed balls. When Gary Sanchez is considered the biggest passed ball liability in baseball and your team is only 2 behind his team, that is saying something. On offense, your catchers combined for 22nd in baseball in OPS. When you consider Vasquez put up his numbers with a .348BABIP, it makes you wonder how back your catching offense really is.

JBJ never platooned? Prior to 2016, he was definitely a platoon player. In 2016, he went off and shook the platoon. By season's end 2017, he was platooning again as Beni proved he could hit and JBJ wasn't, plus JBJ had a late thumb injury. Regardless, he may not have been in a full on platoon the past 2 yrs, he was definitely the odd man out much more often in 2017 than in 2016 when a lefty was on the hill

Sam Travis is your opening day starter, right now. Can you read? I honestly wonder if we need to send you a packet from Hooked on Phonics.

Your relief pitching has a lights out closer. The other guys in front of him were quality, but nowhere near "lights out". Look at the names and the numbers. Barnes had a good season, Kelly a good season, Hembree a deceivingly low ERA hidden by poor performance. Robby Scott was a HR machine. You have one guy who was good and left in Reed. You have only one guy in the pen beside Kimbrel whose FIP is lower than his ERA. Everyone outperformed their expected performance. I wouldn't consider that "lights out".
    JBJ was never platooned. He was benched, demoted and jerked from MLB to AAA, but never came close to an actual platoon with anybody.

He only started 26 games in 2013 (21 vs RHPs and 5 vs LHPs)

2014 starts: (team 113 to 49- 70% RHPs)
    vs RHPs: 45 (68.2%)
    vs LHPs: 21
    Difference: -1.8% (NOT a platoon, since he faced a higher percent of RHPs than the team average)

2015 starts: (team116 to 46- 71.6%)
    vs RHPs: 74 (66.7%)
    vs LHPs: 37
    Difference: -4.9% (Not a platoon at all- not even close. He faced about 5% less RHPs than the team average!)

2016 starts: (team 125 to 37- 77.2%)
    vs RHPs: 119- 82.1%
    vs LHPs: 36
    Difference +4.9% (Maybe a slight platoon, but more like they gave him his normal days rest vs LHPs.)

2017 starts: (team 125 to 37- 77.2%)
    vs RHPs: 104- 79.4%
    vs LHPs: 27
    Difference: +2.2% (Not a platoon)

There is zero evidense JBj was ever platooned.

Career splits:

.735 vs RHPs
    .703 vs LHPs

He's probably got one of the closest career splits on the team.

Hah, I totally forgot about Wright. I am not sure how much of an impact he has due to this legal troubles, but I also don't think he is that good.
    if he was wearing pinstripes certainly you would have started a thread stating he has #1 stuff but because the yankees pitching staff is so stacked with #1 pitcher after #1 pitcher he gets moved down to #5. but only for this season because the new york yankees have 273 kids down on the farm that are Aces and should be up this season or next.

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    I was being jocular. A Yankees fan starting a thread on the Red Sox board about the shortcomings of the Red Sox.. why stop there??
    Full marks for dressing it up with a fancy title like 'The Depth Argument', too.

I called it the depth argument because I was discussing depth and I knew it would be an argument, lol
    Hal sucks

The Yankees don't scare me.

With two wild cards up for grabs, they shouldn't. You still have an avenue to the postseason!
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The Yankees don't scare me.
    At least someone sees it like I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

It's not about being scared. It's about wins and losses and run differential.

With two wild cards up for grabs, they shouldn't. You still have an avenue to the postseason!
    right. he is not a troll. all you OG talksox members keep telling yourselves that.......