Register now to remove this ad

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: The Depth Argument

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    This is another reason why you need a basher. It will help you win and it will help your team sell tickets.
    It's hard to say this for sure, because I can't put any reliance on the ticket sale numbers prior to 2013. For the most part, Fenway is pretty full. Their home attendance last year was 36,021 per game. The capacity is 37,731. At 81 games, there would be at most an additional 138,510 tickets you could add (and attendance is probably not total tickets sold). At $200 per ticket (most likely would be far less), that's still only an increase of $27M. There isn't enough meat on the bone for a FA signing to make a financial difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    I personally can't do 3-4 hour games anymore. it's just too much everyday. I welcome a pitch clock for pitchers like Tanaka, Price, doesn't spend a minute shaking off signs and frequent mount visits.
    Baseball is the perfect sport to leave on in the background while you are on your phone telling other people how much smarter you are than them on some random message board.

For the most part, I don't typically watch the full game. After putting the kids to bed, NESN isn't turned on until 8-8:30. I'm usually off to bed by 11 at the latest on a work night, so it's usually only about 2 hours of watching for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    It's hard to say this for sure, because I can't put any reliance on the ticket sale numbers prior to 2013. For the most part, Fenway is pretty full. Their home attendance last year was 36,021 per game. The capacity is 37,731. At 81 games, there would be at most an additional 138,510 tickets you could add (and attendance is probably not total tickets sold). At $200 per ticket (most likely would be far less), that's still only an increase of $27M. There isn't enough meat on the bone for a FA signing to make a financial difference.
    There are TV ratings to consider. It is my understanding that those have not been good in the last few years. That translates into big bucks.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

There are TV ratings to consider. It is my understanding that those have not been good in the last few years. That translates into big bucks.
    Those aren't coming back though. Even the ratings for Papi's retirement tour were down. If your beloved power hitting DH is having a renaissance season and can't increase NESN's ratings in a season where the Sox won the division, nothing else can.

I think more people are cutting the cord, using streaming services and just finding alternate ways to entertain themselves 162 days a year.

Try watching the games on tape. Fast forward all the commercials.
    Who watches sports on delayed? lol

I stream most of my games.

Those aren't coming back though. Even the ratings for Papi's retirement tour were down. If your beloved power hitting DH is having a renaissance season and can't increase NESN's ratings in a season where the Sox won the division, nothing else can.

I think more people are cutting the cord, using streaming services and just finding alternate ways to entertain themselves 162 days a year.
    My son followed the Sox religiously until he was out of college & got married. Now that he's got work & family responsibilities he waits until the next day and sometimes watches the game on Hulu.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Baseball is the perfect sport to leave on in the background while you are on your phone telling other people how much smarter you are than them on some random message board.
    Baseball is the perfect game for friends to watch together. There's enough action to keep the interest and enough dead time to discuss anything and everything else. And drink beer.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

http://www.weei.com/blogs/alex-reime...ear-top-league

Even though the Sox were down another 15% this year, it actually was in the top 5 for programming. This means less overall eyeballs even though it's a relatively popular show.

They’re not nearly as big as they were 10 years ago, but that’s probably more of a commentary on baseball than the team itself. In comparison to other clubs, the Red Sox remain at the top in terms of fan interest. They drew more than 2.9 million people to Fenway Park this year, too, ranking fourth in the American League in attendance.

The problem isn't directly due to the Red Sox, but the overall popularity of the game (which has been discussed a ton on here).

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Baseball is the perfect game for friends to watch together. There's enough action to keep the interest and enough dead time to discuss anything and everything else. And drink beer.
    Approximately 80% of the viewership is for people above the age of 35, not necessarily the types that are hanging with their friends 162 times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Who watches sports on delayed? lol

I stream most of my games.
    Kimmi.

All-Star
    I almost always watch delayed if I'm back in the UK. Get up early, throw on last nights ball game as I get ready to think about work. Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Not many Sox fans down here in Sugar Land, TX.

I usually time it, so I watch most of the game by fast-forwarding commercials and end up watching the last inning or two live.

I couldn't ever dvr a Sox game. I would just fast forward until runners get on base and would probably miss half the game. My FFWD button would get worn out.

I couldn't ever dvr a Sox game. I would just fast forward until runners get on base and would probably miss half the game. My FFWD button would get worn out.
    I mostly fast forward between pitches. I've got it down to a science.

It's all the commercials that kill me.

TV ratings, advertising money etc. Ticket sales are probably less than half of their yearly income