Register now to remove this ad

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: The Depth Argument

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    TV ratings, advertising money etc. Ticket sales are probably less than half of their yearly income
    Seems to be just under half. https://www.forbes.com/teams/boston-red-sox/

Ticket sales $187M (43%)

Total revenue $434M
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Yankees ticket sales are approximately 47% of their annual revenue. Almost every other team is under 40%, so the Sox and Yankees probably value their ticket sales more than most franchises.

Least important ticket sales:

Marlins - 16%
    A's - 15%
    Rays - 14%
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Those aren't coming back though. Even the ratings for Papi's retirement tour were down. If your beloved power hitting DH is having a renaissance season and can't increase NESN's ratings in a season where the Sox won the division, nothing else can.

I think more people are cutting the cord, using streaming services and just finding alternate ways to entertain themselves 162 days a year.
    The Red Sox will find revenue streams. I don't doubt that.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Of course they will.

They still have not announced the official tampon of The Boston Red Sox.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I don't know where they'll come from. The next time you're in Fenway park take a few minutes and count the number of ads you see. I've sat in just about every area of the park and I can always count about 100 of them.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Of course they will.

They still have not announced the official tampon of The Boston Red Sox.
    LOL!!! Their marketing department could use your fertile mind.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I don't know where they'll come from. The next time you're in Fenway park take a few minutes and count the number of ads you see. I've sat in just about every area of the park and I can always count about 100 of them.
    At least the Red Sox and Yankees have not sold naming rights to the ballparks. We might be looking at Prudential Park and JP Morgan Chase Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    At least the Red Sox and Yankees have not sold naming rights to the ballparks. We might be looking at Prudential Park and JP Morgan Chase Stadium.
    Even thinking that is just plain wrong. :-(
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

That'll never happen.

Bank of America is the official bank of the Yankees, not Chase.

did it go in looking like Damon and come out looking like Tavares?

Try watching the games on tape. Fast forward all the commercials.
    This is what I usually do. It's not the actual length of the game, it's all the frappin commercials. I can typically watch a game in about 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Kimmi.
    !!!

It's the only way to go! You can then rewind and watch plays over again, which I often do.

Also, I can't 'watch' baseball games with a group of friends. I don't want the distraction.

Bowden says Sox offered groome and a player off the roster for Manny.

If that player is bogey, then I think Baltimore should have jumped on that trade.

If that player is a pitcher, then I see why Baltimore passed.

My question is.... has dave decided the bradley’s and bogey’s of our team have plateaued and is he trying to upgrade them with JD and manny?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post

If that player is bogey, then I think Baltimore should have jumped on that trade.

My question is.... has dave decided the bradley’s and bogey’s of our team have plateaued and is he trying to upgrade them with JD and manny?
    IMO it's not that DD thinks that they've plateaued. It's more that trading JBJ might be necessary to make a trade and JBJ is the most expendable of our outfielders. (I agree with everything I said there but I still hope they don't break up this outfield). Bogaerts could be dangled if we traded for Machado (UGHHH!) because XBo has been less than hoped for on both sides of the ball and trading him frees up a defensive spot for MM. Just thinking of this makes me want to insert a picture of Brian Griffin puking, but I lack the skills to do that.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post

I don’t think I’d jump if I were Baltimore at anything Groome related. I know he’s got great stuff, but his proximity is so far away and with the injury history and the off the field stuff, he’s lost the ability to be a headliner. That may change this year.