Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Prospect Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The only former Sox player ranked is Kopech at 11.
    Many are post prospect, now.

@SPChrisHatfield

Jay Groome coming in at number 83 on the @BaseballAmerica Top 100 is the lowest the club's top prospect has ever ranked in that publication's ranking, dating back to 1990.
    Wow!

Not to worry, the cliff naysayers claim our farm will be "replenished" in no time.

(Losing Flores did not help.)

Legend
    The prospect-mania of the past decade is dying down.

Top prospects were overvalued for years as the low floors of many distant prospects offset their decent ceilings.

Many teams now place more value on an MLB-ready player with years of team control regardless of whether the player fits the arbitrary definition of prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Many are post prospect, now.
    As are Devers and Beni.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    The prospect-mania of the past decade is dying down.

Top prospects were overvalued for years as the low floors of many distant prospects offset their decent ceilings.

Many teams now place more value on an MLB-ready player with years of team control regardless of whether the player fits the arbitrary definition of prospect.
    It does seem like teams prefer to trade for more ML- ready players thyan far-away ones, but GMs still value high ceiling prospects.

We got 2.5 seasons of Pomeranz for Espinoza.

From soxprospects.com

Mexican Pacific League

http://news.soxprospects.com/2018/01...velazquez.html

They Mayos de Navojoa trotted out game one winner Hector Velazquez (pictured) in the fifth game of their semifinal series against Jalisco. Despite a very strong effort by the righty, Navajoa dropped a 3-0 decision. Velazquez allowed just one run on three hits in five innings, striking out three without issuing a walk, and inducing eight groundball outs. Overall, Velazquez surrendered only two runs in 10 innings in his two starts in the semi-final series. Navojoa prevailed in game six to advance to the league championship series against Culiacan.

Velazquez is likely to start in game three on Tuesday if Navojoa holds to its rotation, with los Mayos in a 2-0 hole.

@SPChrisHatfield

Jay Groome coming in at number 83 on the @BaseballAmerica Top 100 is the lowest the club's top prospect has ever ranked in that publication's ranking, dating back to 1990.
    Thanks Dave!

How far away is Chavis in you're opinion ? Would it be out of the realm of possibility he replaces pedey ? And when.

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    How far away is Chavis in you're opinion ? Would it be out of the realm of possibility he replaces pedey ? And when.
    Chavis might be ML ready by summer...

as a DH.

He might be ready by fall to play 1B.

I seriously doubt anyone in the organization is even thinking of Chavis playing 2B.

His defense was so bad at 3B, they are trying him at 1B. He's not playing 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Thanks Dave!
    And Ben, for forcing Dave to trade so many prospects for pitching.

Yes, Dave could probably have traded less of them, but still, he had no choice but to make some trades for pitching.

Chavis needs to prove he can hang in AA before you move him to the bigs. He was an all everything in the Carolina league but on promotion to AA, he was a power dependent low OBP hitter. If he can show the high OBP and power combo he showed in A ball, then he will be an asset. As his defense is poor, he is going to need to show the ability to hit and continue to be a plus hitter to make it to the bigs. He was more enticing as a possible 3b than he will be as a 1b
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Thanks Dave!
    I'd rather have Sale, Kimbrel and Pom than the guys we gave up.

Chavis might be ML ready by summer...

as a DH.

He might be ready by fall to play 1B.

I seriously doubt anyone in the organization is even thinking of Chavis playing 2B.

His defense was so bad at 3B, they are trying him at 1B. He's not playing 2B.
    Never say never. Devers was fast tracked last year. Chavis would have to continue his onslaught on AA pitching and maybe have a few weeks at AAA. Devers had a clearer path last year because of the gaping hole at 3b. They have the option to let Chavis mature a little more before bringing him up since DH/1b can be filled easier.

Devers kicked the door down. He wasn't fast tracked as much as he made them fast track him. His AA numbers were bonkers for a 20 yr old then he went supernova in 9 games in Pawtucket right around the time the Pablo adventure ended. It was the perfect storm. I think, to a man, Dombrowski would have loved to have kept Devers down in the minors last yr and brought him up this year in May to set his clock back. I think the kid is going to be a star. I don't have the same feeling around Chavis. I wonder if Chavis' power is real, and with his skills, his new power is his only solid trait
    Hal sucks

Never say never. Devers was fast tracked last year. Chavis would have to continue his onslaught on AA pitching and maybe have a few weeks at AAA. Devers had a clearer path last year because of the gaping hole at 3b. They have the option to let Chavis mature a little more before bringing him up since DH/1b can be filled easier.
    Yes, Chavis could be fast-tracked, if HRam or Moreland bomb or get hurt.

I can't see Chavis playing 3B or 2B this year in Boston.