Register now to remove this ad

Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Prospect Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    This guy is such an underestimated prospect. MLB had him ranked as the Red Sox's 15th best prospect going into the season. He could turn into a valuable trade chip. Then again, I'm not sure if I want the Red Sox to move him. Beeks is a little older than Chase Adams but is he really much worse than Chase Adams, a guy who made the top 100 list?
    Beeks is not the prospect Adams is as they are completely different pitchers. Beeks is a small statured lefty with velocity that doesn't hold in his starts. In short stints, he can top out at 95, but as a starter, he sits right around 90mph and his velo will drop into the 87-88 range later in games. Both Adams and Beeks have a deep arsenal, yet Adams actually has the hammer breaking balls and the command to control all of his pitches. Adams will top out at 100mph and can sit in the 95-96mph range deep into games. Even the most pink hatted prospect website run by jsinger has Beeks a reliever in the majors.
    Hal sucks

Mata with a rough day today. 6 walks, 4 hits and 2 runs.

Cole sturgeon with his third tater on the season. Now hitting over 400.

Dalbec with another tater tonight. He may be hitting well under 200, but he does have 4 taters thus far this season!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Dalbec with another tater tonight. He may be hitting well under 200, but he does have 4 taters thus far this season!
    Quiroz has 4 taters and is hitting .400!

Travis is now batting .350.

At some point this year, I would expect the Red Sox to move Beeks to the bullpen with the idea of promoting him to the major leagues as a one inning shutdown lefty reliever. He could be very good in that role, better than any bullpen upgrade through the trade market.

Even if the Red Sox move Beeks to the bullpen this year, I would continue to develop him next year as a SP.

At some point this year, I would expect the Red Sox to move Beeks to the bullpen with the idea of promoting him to the major leagues as a one inning shutdown lefty reliever. He could be very good in that role, better than any bullpen upgrade through the trade market.

Even if the Red Sox move Beeks to the bullpen this year, I would continue to develop him next year as a SP.
    I'm not sure we'd want to jerk him around in the midst of his development.

We have Pom due to become a FA, Wright's career in a sort of limbo and Johnson/Velzquez not really proven, yet. Price's health is another reason to keep possible starters stretched out.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Cole sturgeon with his third tater on the season. Now hitting over 400.
    Sturgeon is a 26 year old repeating AA. I want to see what he does at AAA before I start to think about him too hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I wouldn't advocate jerking any guy around but moving a guy from starting to the bullpen is perfectly normal. Even if you think his place is in the bullpen, you let him start as long as he can, maybe he proves you wrong but if nothing else he logs more innings and lets his stuff develop more.

Beeks seems destined for the bullpen, he just doesn't seem to have the size to endure a full season nor the strength to go deep into games, and his stuff is better in short bursts. Nothing wrong with that, we have holes in the pen too and he could be really good there.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    I wouldn't advocate jerking any guy around but moving a guy from starting to the bullpen is perfectly normal. Even if you think his place is in the bullpen, you let him start as long as he can, maybe he proves you wrong but if nothing else he logs more innings and lets his stuff develop more.

Beeks seems destined for the bullpen, he just doesn't seem to have the size to endure a full season nor the strength to go deep into games, and his stuff is better in short bursts. Nothing wrong with that, we have holes in the pen too and he could be really good there.
    I don't doubt your opinion. I'm just still a little worried that Price will go down injured and we may need extended starter depth, this year.

Maybe as the end of the season nears, we can try him out of the pen a few times.

A lot depends on how Johnson and Velazquez progress this year. They're both off to a nice start, but the ML season is a long one.

Can we find one prospect, drafted under Dombrowski (Red Sox tenure) that is excelling right now? I can't find one.

Can we find one prospect, drafted under Dombrowski (Red Sox tenure) that is excelling right now? I can't find one.
    How many GMs have players drafted in 2016 and 2017 that are excelling right now?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    How many GMs have players drafted in 2016 and 2017 that are excelling right now?
    A whole lot
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    A whole lot
    I think that is a little unfair. 2017 draftees mostly have a couple weeks of sample sizes right now and the 2016 draft was all about Groome. As weak as our system is, I still think Groome has a lot of potential with a high ceiling. However, he does have a long way to go.

A lot of the picks from our 2016 draft are also already gone, Guys like Anderson and Nogosek left to bring in Nunez and Reed. Others like CJ Chatham, Dalbec, and Shawaryn have showed potential too. Chatham lost some time recovering from an injury but he's off to a hot start and Dalbec has the best raw power in our system. Yes, those guys are far off and not big candidates to be stars but how many teams end up drafting more than one high ceiling prospect who puts himself in that stratosphere every year? and like I said that draft was all about Groome.

The 2017 draft is just ridiculously too soon to even talk about.

Also, I think drafts are more of an indictment on a team and it's scouting department than a G.M. although I think a G.M. probably does have his hands all over the first round pick. So lets see what Groome and Houck do. Houck who was drafted in 2017 doesn't even have 11 innings yet this year.