Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox re-sign Mitch Moreland

Love this move--it puts them in a better position to compete for Machado & Harper; whereas signing Hosmer would make it harder.

I could see the Red Sox signing JD Martinez and platooning Ramirez with Moreland at 1b. I'm guessing the Red Sox are pretty serious about not letting Hanley's option vest.

The only thing is L.Morrison--how much does he end up getting and should the Red Sox have signed him instead of Moreland? Then again, maybe Morrison gets more than Moreland and thus the Red Sox went with the cheaper option. It'll be interesting to see what happens with L.Morrison.

1b: Moreland/Ramirez
    2b: Hernandez
    SS: Bogaerts
    3b: Devers
    C: Vazquez
    LF: Benintendi
    CF: Bradley
    RF: Betts
    DH: Martinez

lineup:
    Betts
    Benintendi
    Martinez
    Moreland/Ramirez
    Devers
    Bogaerts
    Bradley
    Hernandez
    Vazquez
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 12-18-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Hanley’s option is for $22 mil. You’d save $9 mil
    goody, we can sign Holt again!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I think Bradley is going somewhere.
    I think that that is a good possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree, it's basically an insurance. No doubt JD is still in play.

What if we sign JD to be the DH and our 4th OF? By limiting Hanley's at bats, Sox will save $20M for 2019. In reality we're saving NET $7M by signing Moreland.
    But Moreland might be a moveable contract after this year. Hanley is basically a sunk cost--the Red Sox must take such measures as to make sure he isn't a sunk cost next year as well. We saw last year that the Red Sox prefer sitting Moreland against lefties. They will play Hanley against lefties, assuming they sign Martinez for DH.

I doubt the Red Sox are going to sign JD Martinez and then turn around and weaken their OF defense (trade Bradley) in order to secure a starting DH spot for a sunk cost like Hanley Ramirez. Hanley played himself into a platoon role last season.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 12-18-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    Love this move--it puts them in a better position to compete for Machado & Harper; whereas signing Hosmer would make it harder.

I could see the Red Sox signing JD Martinez and platooning Ramirez with Moreland at 1b. I'm guessing the Red Sox are pretty serious about not letting Hanley's option vest.

The only thing is L.Morrison--how much does he end up getting and should the Red Sox have signed him instead of Moreland? Then again, maybe Morrison gets more than Moreland and thus the Red Sox went with the cheaper option. It'll be interesting to see what happens with L.Morrison.

1b: Moreland/Ramirez
    2b: Hernandez
    SS: Bogaerts
    3b: Devers
    C: Vazquez
    LF: Benintendi
    CF: Bradley
    RF: Betts
    DH: Martinez

lineup:
    Betts
    Benintendi
    Martinez
    Moreland/Ramirez
    Devers
    Bogaerts
    Bradley
    Hernandez
    Vazquez
    Signing Hosmer would have been even dumber than signing Moreland.

Fire DD
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    But Moreland might be a moveable contract after this year. Hanley is basically a sunk cost--the Red Sox must take such measures as to make sure he isn't a sunk cost next year as well. We saw last year that the Red Sox prefer sitting Moreland against lefties. They will play Hanley against lefties, assuming they sign Martinez for DH.

I doubt the Red Sox are going to sign JD Martinez and then turn around and weaken their OF defense (trade Bradley) in order to secure a starting DH spot for a sunk cost like Hanley Ramirez. Hanley played himself into a platoon role last season.
    Hanley is NOT a SUNKEN cost. If he fails to reach 497 plate appearance in 2018, his 2019 contract is NOT vested. Do you know what you are talking about? That's a savings of $22M BOTH CASH and LUXURY TAX Payroll for 2019.

Sandoval's contract is SUNKEN. We're stuck unless he OFFICIALLY retires. (And why would he? He can sit on his ass and wait for a phone call).

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Clearly a sign of being out on Hosmer - and a low enough dollar amount that if a better solution came, they could address it.
    Thank goodness.

I really have nothing against Hosmer, but I am against paying him the kind of money he is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I hate the signing, but I'm happier it's not Hosmer.
    I kind of like it. Nice, short contract, and Moreland gives us insurance for Hanley in case he cannot get healthy.

Hanley is NOT a SUNKEN cost. If he fails to reach 497 plate appearance in 2018, his 2019 contract is NOT vested. Do you know what you are talking about? That's a savings of $22M BOTH CASH and LUXURY TAX Payroll for 2019.

Sandoval's contract is SUNKEN. We're stuck unless he OFFICIALLY retires. (And why would he? He can sit on his ass and wait for a phone call).
    Exactly. Nick, you are right on the money here. Hanley's contract ends if he doesn't reach 497 PAs in 2018. Now the union will take the sox to court if they hold Hanley out in the final weeks of September to keep the option from vesting. The best way for the sox to avoid that fiasco is to bring in a platoon mate for Hanley, then they wont have to worry about it. And if Hanley beats the competition and lights the world on fire, then the option vesting isn't a big deal. But the sox have to prepare a platoon partner from the getgo or risk paying $22 mil in 2019 for a DH with declining skills
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    This is not going to improve our chances next year.
    Maybe not, but it doesn't hurt our chances either.

Dombrowski will still sign a big bat, namely JD. I have no doubt.

The question then becomes whether he trades JBJ or not, which I certainly hope he doesn't. Let JD primarily DH, and let Hanley and Moreland fight it out for 1B playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Or keep the lineup as is and sign Darvish or Arrieta. ..
    !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Maybe not, but it doesn't hurt our chances either.

Dombrowski will still sign a big bat, namely JD. I have no doubt.

The question then becomes whether he trades JBJ or not, which I certainly hope he doesn't. Let JD primarily DH, and let Hanley and Moreland fight it out for 1B playing time.
    Forcing Hanley back into a 1b role might not be in your best interest either. But it might end up being the job going forward. That being said, JD has made inklings over the past few weeks that he wants to play the OF. Right now, the sox don't have an opening. This doesn't change that
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    We shall see. Somehow I don't think Moreland was the 'one person' DD was referring to.
    No, he isn't. A big bat is most definitely coming.

I agree, it's basically an insurance. No doubt JD is still in play.

What if we sign JD to be the DH and our 4th OF? By limiting Hanley's at bats, Sox will save $20M for 2019. In reality we're saving NET $7M by signing Moreland.
    I think this is the plan. Moreland was signed to be a guard against Hanley. At least I hope so. I don't want to trade Jackie.