Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox re-sign Mitch Moreland

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I hate the signing, but I'm happier it's not Hosmer.
    Solid defensive player with an average bat and at a reasonable price. It might indicate that the chances of landing Hosmer for a reasonable contract duration and price were low. Since we missed on Santana, who was one I thought made sense for us, I prefer Moreland to Hosmer. DD can't wait forever. Now we will probably shift focus to second base, the outfield and pitching.

No info is available on Pedroia's recovery but I expect nothing from him until the AS break. We need a solid backup there and maybe what we have is not enough at this point, based on not getting much lift out of 1st base.

If JD is still in play, it might mean we would trade one of our outfielders so he could be fit in. Probably be JBJ but that would impact our defense.

Pitching is an area we should expect some movement soon. Left hand reliever is the key need although there is a lot of uncertainty in the starter pitching depth.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Wright is a toxic asset right now. Nobody is buying him until the legal troubles disappear
    He's a throw-in or non inclusion.

I am wondering if the cap is playing into things a little more than DD let on.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Or keep the lineup as is and sign Darvish or Arrieta. ..
    I could see that.

So, this is it?

1) Bogey
    2) Betts
    3) Beni
    4) Devers-HRam
    5) Moreland-HRam
    6) HRam- JBJ
    7) JBJ- Pedey/Marco
    8) Pedey/Marco- Brentz DH (as HRam plays 1B and Moreland is on the bench)
    9) Vaz

SP1) Sale
    SP2) Darvish
    SP3) Price
    SP4) Pom
    SP5) Porcello

I am wondering if the cap is playing into things a little more than DD let on.
    The off season is not over.

We could still sign JD and trade JBJ or sign a big time pitcher and be $30+M over the limit.

It's just a speculation. With Moreland, they cross it, but not by much. I wonder how far they are willing to go and if that played into this move
    Hal sucks

It's just a speculation. With Moreland, they cross it, but not by much. I wonder how far they are willing to go and if that played into this move
    We shall see. Somehow I don't think Moreland was the 'one person' DD was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    We shall see. Somehow I don't think Moreland was the 'one person' DD was referring to.
    It doesn't make sense, though. You're not dealing Hanley as he has literally no value. You're not platooning Hanley and JD. Moving Moreland to 1b secures Hanley in the DH spot. You don't platoon Hanley and Moreland as Moreland is clearly the best defensive option. The only way you get Moreland and JD is if you fit JD into the OF.
    Hal sucks

It doesn't make sense, though. You're not dealing Hanley as he has literally no value. You're not platooning Hanley and JD. Moving Moreland to 1b secures Hanley in the DH spot. You don't platoon Hanley and Moreland as Moreland is clearly the best defensive option. The only way you get Moreland and JD is if you fit JD into the OF.
    I think Bradley is going somewhere.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

It would be very weird to go defense first at a non defensive position then subtract an elite defender from the middle of the field to fit in a shitty defender. If they were going to deal JbJ and maximize offense, then fine. But why do that then mail it in with Moreland at 1b?

Also, if JBJ needs to go to convince JD to sign (he didn’t like the RS since their OF was full) then why secure Moreland before dealing JBJ?

I have been championing this move for a while now.

I'd rather have Steve Kuburski than Sidney Wicks in this case.

It makes sense to sign Moreland on the cheap. It's good insurance if DD comes up empty handed in the JD chase. At least the Sox have what they had last year which is still going backwards compared to other teams but hey.

You can say what you want about Hosmer being able to get on base more. The Sox just avoided making a big mistake. Although the Yankees signed Swisher for first then swooped down on the Sox and nabbed Texiera The Horseface like they were Siamese twins.

Onward.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I have been championing this move for a while now.

I'd rather have Steve Kuburski than Sidney Wicks in this case.

It makes sense to sign Moreland on the cheap. It's good insurance if DD comes up empty handed in the JD chase. At least the Sox have what they had last year which is still going backwards compared to other teams but hey.

You can say what you want about Hosmer being able to get on base more. The Sox just avoided making a big mistake. Although the Yankees signed Swisher for first then swooped down on the Sox and nabbed Texiera The Horseface like they were Siamese twins.

Onward.
    I agree, it's basically an insurance. No doubt JD is still in play.

What if we sign JD to be the DH and our 4th OF? By limiting Hanley's at bats, Sox will save $20M for 2019. In reality we're saving NET $7M by signing Moreland.

Hanley’s option is for $22 mil. You’d save $9 mil

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree, it's basically an insurance. No doubt JD is still in play.

What if we sign JD to be the DH and our 4th OF? By limiting Hanley's at bats, Sox will save $20M for 2019. In reality we're saving NET $7M by signing Moreland.
    I agree.

I doubt DD is done.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."