Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Yankees Season thread

I'm warming up towards Darvish, it looks like he was tipping pitches during the playoffs, but I like him, he would an asset in the rotation

He’d be an asset for sure. Makes the CC signing puzzling, but it might give JMont a year to control his innings in the minors

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    He’d be an asset for sure. Makes the CC signing puzzling, but it might give JMont a year to control his innings in the minors
    You never can have enough pitching, this type of things sort themselves out. with 162 games in the season you are asking your rotation to start 32 games in average, that's next to impossible, I don't know how many SP reached that number in 2017. Anyway with 6-7 reliable options, you are asking your every pitcher in the rotation to start 22-27 games in average which is a more realistic goal in the last few years. Basically with only 5 SP you are asking every pitcher to absorb the workload of prime CC or 2017 version of Sale.

I get that, I’m also including the pups in AAA who are ready too. We’ve got 5 starters already and with Sheffield, Adams, Acevedo, German and Cessa, we’ve got 5 legitimate options to fill in already. If we need to start someone outside those ten, then we’ve had one hell of a bad season

With Drury in the fold, I expect the 2018 opening day lineup to look like this

1. Gardner LF
    2. Judge RF
    3. Stanton DH
    4. Bird 1B
    5. Sanchez C
    6. Gregorius SS
    7. Hicks CF
    8. Drury 2B
    9. Andujar 3B

By mid May, I expect Torres to usurp one of the roles above. I have been reading about Drury’s acquisition and I think he’s going to be more a super sub long term. He can play the corner OF spots as well as all over the infield. He’s got power and can hit for enough average to make his lack of walks somewhat palatable. Once Torres ascends, I think that’ll spell the end of Torreyes. I think Drury can carve out a Martin Prado style career with more power. That’ll be very useful on a team breaking in two top notch rookies and also provides big league insurance should one of the kids turn out not to be Yankee level caliber

I like the thought but I think Drury will most likely man third (Cash has said it's his best position) and Wade/Toe will platoon second until Torres is ready. Unless Andujar mashes and plays competent third base during the spring, I think he ends up back in AAA.

Yeah, I just read that today. Cash says no jobs are guaranteed, so Drury will have to win it, but they’re bringing him in as a 3b. Surprising since he posted a positive UZR/150 at 2b last yr. Either way, Drury at 3b and Wade at 2b to start the year. Andujar and Torres up in May or later and Drury playing the super sub role.

With Drury on board, our depth is definitely increased.

At C, we have Sanchez with Romine and Higashioka fighting it out for backup roles

At 1B, we have Bird. If he goes down, we have Andujar, Austin or Drury to back him up

At 2B, we have Wade, Torres, Drury and Torreyes for now

At SS, we have Didi with Torreyes, Torres and Wade able to back him up

At 3B, we have Drury with Andujar, Torres, Torreyes and Wade to back him up.

In the corners, we have Gardner and Judge with Stanton able to spell them from his DH role. After him, Drury is capable as is Ellsbury and Frazier

In CF, we have Hicks with Gardner and Ellsbury capable of spelling him if need be.

With Drury in the fold, I expect the 2018 opening day lineup to look like this

1. Gardner LF
    2. Judge RF
    3. Stanton DH
    4. Bird 1B
    5. Sanchez C
    6. Gregorius SS
    7. Hicks CF
    8. Drury 2B
    9. Andujar 3B

By mid May, I expect Torres to usurp one of the roles above. I have been reading about Drury’s acquisition and I think he’s going to be more a super sub long term. He can play the corner OF spots as well as all over the infield. He’s got power and can hit for enough average to make his lack of walks somewhat palatable. Once Torres ascends, I think that’ll spell the end of Torreyes. I think Drury can carve out a Martin Prado style career with more power. That’ll be very useful on a team breaking in two top notch rookies and also provides big league insurance should one of the kids turn out not to be Yankee level caliber
    I like it, the only two changes I'd like to do is Toe at 2B and Drury at 3B

So Drury moves to 3b. Wade probably starts the year at 2b. I’d think they’d want Torres game seasoned come his debut and that can only happen if he starts in AAA. That’ll also delay his clock. Drury at least adds some offensive stability to the projection and with his considerably upside in the power department, might surprise beyond his expected .270/.320/.450 slash. Wade will be a pesky player if he can get accustomed to big league pitching. He’s a great defender who will steal lots of bases, take walks and have some pull side power, which will play very well in Yankee stadium. He’s very much akin to a young Gardner in terms of what he displays offensively

If Andujar keeps mashing this spring I don't see how they can leave him off the team. I can see Andujar/Wade/Drury making the team with Toe getting sent down to AAA. 3B time split of Andujar/Drury 75/25 and 2B Drury/Wade of 50/50

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    If Andujar keeps mashing this spring I don't see how they can leave him off the team. I can see Andujar/Wade/Drury making the team with Toe getting sent down to AAA. 3B time split of Andujar/Drury 75/25 and 2B Drury/Wade of 50/50
    I think the player out will be Wade at the beginning and eventually Torreyes will be gone, only if Drury is as good as advertised.

I see a combination at the start of the season between Drury(75%)/Torreyes(25%) for 3B and Wade(75%)/Torreyes(25%) with Andujar and Torres down in AAA

When they call up Andujar the combinations will be Andujar(75%)/Drury(25%) for 3B and Drury(75%)/Torreyes(25%) for 2B sending Wade to AAA

When Torres is up the combinations Andujar(80%)/Drury(20%) for 3B and Torres(80%)/Drury(20%) for 2B, Drury will be the primary utility guy, for me this is the ideal setup for our IF (don't know if Drury can play SS to handle the occasional day off for Didi)

Andujar has a very quick bat and generates strong exit velocities. He’s a hitter, period. If he played defense like Torres, we wouldn’t have gotten Drury. If the kid can show improvements with the glove, he’ll be manning the hot corner for a long, long time in NY

Andujar has a very quick bat and generates strong exit velocities. He’s a hitter, period. If he played defense like Torres, we wouldn’t have gotten Drury. If the kid can show improvements with the glove, he’ll be manning the hot corner for a long, long time in NY
    I saw a video yesterday with some fielding practice and he looks sharp, I know is only practice but he has the right approach. I expect him to be in the Bronx by May at the latest

Andujar just hit his 3rd HR in as many games, he wants the job!!!!!!!!

Andujar is taking this seriously. Drury might be the 2b out of spring