Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stros get Cole

Stros get Cole

Colin Moran and Joe Musgrave for Gerrit Cole? They didn’t give up much
    Hal sucks

Moran had stalled up until last year where he broke out as a 25 yr old in AAA. Musgrove looks like a 5th starter with middling stuff. No Top 100 prospects. The fact that the Pirates asked for Torres and got this pile of shit is infuriating
    Hal sucks

Wow, seems like Pirates sold low.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Moran had stalled up until last year where he broke out as a 25 yr old in AAA. Musgrove looks like a 5th starter with middling stuff. No Top 100 prospects. The fact that the Pirates asked for Torres and got this pile of shit is infuriating
    When you have a guy they want, some GMs just don't back down from him.

The Yankees probably should have considered giving up Torres...

Really? Torres is a top 3 prospect in baseball who experts predict will be a perennial all star. You don't give that up
    Hal sucks

Deity
    The Pirates also got outfielder Jason Martin and RHP Michael Feliz.

Minorleagueball.com has Moran as the#5 prospect and Martin at #13.
    Last edited by notin; 01-13-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Deity
    Really? Torres is a top 3 prospect in baseball who experts predict will be a perennial all star. You don't give that up
    Corey Patterson was the #2 prospect. Sometimes maybe you do.

Bear in mind that the best GM in baseball gave Torres up for a rental...
    Last edited by notin; 01-13-2018 at 07:04 PM.

Deity
    Are you really getting upset by this? They gave up a lot more to get Cole than the Yankees did to get Stanton...

What's a comparative offer the Sox might have made to top this one?

Notin, Come doesn’t have a 10 yr contract attached

Looks like word is getting around on Clint Frazier. The Yankees tried to dump him on the Pirates for Cole and the Pirates found the Astros offer to be more attractive.

What's a comparative offer the Sox might have made to top this one?
    The Red Sox could have put together an offer with more minor league talent, but I suspect the Pirates wanted major league ready talent based on what they received from the Astros. As such, I'm not sure if the Red Sox/Pirates matched up very well.

You’re so misguided and so one note. The Pirates wanted Frazier and Andujar or Torres plus a pitcher. The Yankees offered Frazier plus a pitcher. Torres and Andujar are starters for us right now.

I cannot wait to see Frazier show you how misguided you are. Did the kid bang your sister or something?

To be honest with you, I think the Yanks are keen on keeping Frazier now. Gardner is in the final guaranteed year of his deal and at an option value of $14 mil as a 35/36 yr old in 2019, he’s likely not worth it. Frazier will be our insurance policy if Gardy falls off or if we don’t land Harper.

In the end, this is a head scratcher. Musgrove was dominant as a reliever for Houston as he saw a major velocity bump in short spurts, but as a starter, his stuff wasn’t special. He’s a back end starter. Moran is probably their best get, but he’s an older prospect who finally had a good minor league season as a 25 yr old. Feliz has a big arm, but he hasn’t proven to be reliable yet. Martin had a good 2017, but he’s not well regarded as of yet because he hasn’t proven much beyond A ball. They dealt Cole for quantity, not quality
    Last edited by jacksonianmarch; 01-14-2018 at 03:58 AM.

Rosenthal notes that the Pirates wanted Frazier as the centerpiece if they couldn’t have Torres but the hangup was on the other pieces. Frazier is a better get than anything the Pirates got for Cole. The interesting thing about PIT is that they are similar to the A’s. Their requests for their premium players are usually outside the box of big prospects and usually they deal for safe assets over High potential

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    Looks like word is getting around on Clint Frazier. The Yankees tried to dump him on the Pirates for Cole and the Pirates found the Astros offer to be more attractive.

The Red Sox could have put together an offer with more minor league talent, but I suspect the Pirates wanted major league ready talent based on what they received from the Astros. As such, I'm not sure if the Red Sox/Pirates matched up very well.
    So, how about ERod, Hembree and Beeks?

I like the Astros more and more everyday. If I weren't a Red Sox fan, I would jump on the Stros bandwagon.