Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: When will Pedroia debut for BOS in 2018?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • He'll be ready to go on opening day

0 0%
  • He'll be ready to go by the end of April

2 13.33%
  • He'll be ready to go by the end of May

7 46.67%
  • He'll be ready to go sometime in June

5 33.33%
  • He'll be ready to go after July 1

1 6.67%
  • He will either be out all year or traded before debuting

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Timetable for Pedroia's Return

Deity
    First week of May for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It means giving him a day off more often than he's had in the past, but it doesn't mean he'll be a bench player. I'd rather Pedroia take a day off here and there and be able to get through the season in pretty good health, than try to play almost everyday and be done in August.
    Nice idea but it is unrealistic with the amount of scar tissue on that guy.

Stick a fork in him.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Well, a lot of Pedroia's issues are contact related (with the ground, a cleat, a base, etc.). I'm not sure resting Pedroia will prevent him from hurting himself while diving for a ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Well, a lot of Pedroia's issues are contact related (with the ground, a cleat, a base, etc.). I'm not sure resting Pedroia will prevent him from hurting himself while diving for a ball.
    Sure, but it's not uncommon for guys coming off surgery to have some extra rest days either. I'm sure our crack medical staff will figure it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Sure, but it's not uncommon for guys coming off surgery to have some extra rest days either. I'm sure our crack medical staff will figure it out!
    Sure, he's going to get more rest days going forward. I'm not sure it will be more likely to prevent him from getting injured though.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

All-Star
    Methinks he'll return at end of April.

My compliment to the poll-maker for a poll that has intelligible and reasonable choices.

Why rush back ??? I don't give a rip when he comes back if he's not healed completely ...Sorry but Pedey is reminding me of a scrappy player who just can never stay healthy than rushes back time and time again ...Let the Chavis time start next year ....maybe even September if Pedey is once again dinged up like he always is .

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    Why rush back ??? I don't give a rip when he comes back if he's not healed completely ...Sorry but Pedey is reminding me of a scrappy player who just can never stay healthy than rushes back time and time again ...Let the Chavis time start next year ....maybe even September if Pedey is once again dinged up like he always is .
    Chavis can barely handle 3B and you want to move him to a position that requires more mobility?

Dombrowski did buy Pedroia more recovery time this week by signing Nunez, so this is no longer the issue it has been all off-season...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Chavis can barely handle 3B and you want to move him to a position that requires more mobility?

Dombrowski did buy Pedroia more recovery time this week by signing Nunez, so this is no longer the issue it has been all off-season...
    With Nunez available, I would delay him until July. No need to rush him back.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    No need to set any sort of timetable.

If he's ready in July, he comes back in July.
    If he's ready in May, he comes back in May.
    If he isn't ready until September, he comes back in September. ...

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Let's hope that our crackerjack medical team gave him a thorough exam and that Nunez will be healthy to start the season. It wouldn't be the first time that we signed a wounded duck.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Let's hope that our crackerjack medical team gave him a thorough exam and that Nunez will be healthy to start the season. It wouldn't be the first time that we signed a wounded duck.
    I have not heard anything new about this "signing". Has he taken the physical? If so, I hope they took lots of advanced images of his fucked-up knee and that someone competent reviewed them.

If he does pass or has passed the physical, is he ready to start camp and participate in normal ST activities right away? He was still rehabbing in December so it could reasonably be assumed that he is not ready yet.

If that knee is not ready to go now I say pass on Nunez. We need a healthy bat and placeholder for Pedroia now.

Of course, if all goes well, he comes on board and rakes until Pedroia returns and rakes himself. Nunez can spell not only Devers at 3rd as Moon has suggested, but he can give X a blow at short. X has stated as recently as this week that he tires in the second half. Nunez can help keep him fresh if things go well. Of course Nunez can sub for Pedroia as needed too. I don't want to see him in the outfield unless it is a true emergency.

Overall, Lots of things have to break right for the Sox.

We'll see.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I have not heard anything new about this "signing". Has he taken the physical? If so, I hope they took lots of advanced images of his fucked-up knee and that someone competent reviewed them.

If he does pass or has passed the physical, is he ready to start camp and participate in normal ST activities right away? He was still rehabbing in December so it could reasonably be assumed that he is not ready yet.

If that knee is not ready to go now I say pass on Nunez. We need a healthy bat and placeholder for Pedroia now.

Of course, if all goes well, he comes on board and rakes until Pedroia returns and rakes himself. Nunez can spell not only Devers at 3rd as Moon has suggested, but he can give X a blow at short. X has stated as recently as this week that he tires in the second half. Nunez can help keep him fresh if things go well. Of course Nunez can sub for Pedroia as needed too. I don't want to see him in the outfield unless it is a true emergency.

Overall, Lots of things have to break right for the Sox.

We'll see.
    Dombrowski would not comment today on whether Nunez passed or has even taken his physical.

Nunez said there's no deal yet.

I'm not sure what to make, if anything, on those comments.

Reportedly, the deal has a player option for the 2nd year, with a buyout, so it essentially becomes a 2 year deal. No word yet on the dollar amount.

Micro fracture surgery .....for any athelete is pretty much the kiss of death for mobility cutting ,jumping ,pivoting like he was use to doing .I love Pedey he's a legend ....his time as an elite player has been over awhile now ...this puts an explanation point on an amazing player and career .

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    Micro fracture surgery .....for any athelete is pretty much the kiss of death for mobility cutting ,jumping ,pivoting like he was use to doing .I love Pedey he's a legend ....his time as an elite player has been over awhile now ...this puts an explanation point on an amazing player and career .
    Really? Micro fracture surgery is drastic, but guys have come back from it. Maybe not 100 percent, but 95 percent of pedroia is still a pretty good second basemen.