Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training 2018 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I know I keep harping on it but Jesus has Holt porked out. It similar to what Robert De Niro went through in Raging Bull.

Holt was a speedy athletic type. Now he is about half a Panda.

I think his mobility will be impaired.
    I try not to get too worked up about how players look in ST t shirts in the FL wind.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Marrero has an above average glove. If he could put it together at the plate, that would be a huge problem solved for us.
    If he "could put it together" at the plate, he'd be the starting SS.

Legend
    Cashner's K-rate fell through the floor last year. Liriano has been shaky - but there is reasonable upside for the cost. Lynn is probably the most reliable of that level of guy - but you have to be okay with him turning in 2017 Porcello sort of work ... where the value is in the bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Sounds like Mitch is really happy to be back.

http://www.weei.com/articles/column/...er-free-agents

Listen to how the first baseman's 6-year-old son responded upon his father landing for another spring training at JetBlue Park. "He's fired up," Moreland said in a sit-down interview Tuesday afternoon. "Yesterday, as soon as I got on the phone with him he said, 'Have any of the guys asked about me?' He's excited about it."

"I just told my agent that if we get close, I'm ready to do it. It's just nice to have the security of knowing everybody here and not having to learn a new organization. Being somewhere where my family is comfortable and somewhere that is a winning environment. All of those things factor into something like free agency. This is a great place to be, so obviously, it was my first choice."

"I knew I had a good time here. Obviously, all of our conversations with staff and front office were good heading out. I guess the way everything has been going the last few years, you never know what's going to happen. This year has been a prime example of that even more. I really didn't know what to think. Just keep an open mind and let them know I had fun playing being part of this organization and playing for the Red Sox. I would love to come back, but I also understand it's a business. That's kind of the way I approached it. Obviously, when the time rolled around and we started talking a little bit, I was happy to come back. I wanted to be here.

"I told my agent, 'Listen, man, I want to be somewhere I'm going to be happy and somewhere I'm going to win.' I loved playing here last year. So when the opportunity came about, it checked all the boxes. I've got to take care of my family. I'm not worried about the market part of it. When I saw the opportunity, with something I was happy with, and my family was happy with, I jumped at it."

"I go to the field ready to go every day," Moreland said. "That's what I do. I try and be ready to go when my number is called, whether it's in the first inning, fifth inning, whenever. That's what I shoot for. Last year I was supposed to be part-time and I got more at-bats than I have ever had. I don't think you can look at a scheduled set-up of playing time because we're still two months away from the season right now and there is a lot of stuff that can happen. I'm going to be focused on getting ready to play every day and being ready to go when that time comes here."

"I got in yesterday and went and hung out with the guys the first night. I told my wife, "Hey, I got invited to hang out with the guys the first night.' Last year it took me a week before I hung out with the guys. It's nice," he said. "Just having familiar faces and knowing the situation. Everyone talks about how it helps having that comfort level in baseball whether you're on the field or off the field. It makes those adjustments easier. We had a blast, so I'm happy to do it a couple of more years."
    One of the reasons why I am happy to have Mitch back.

Good signing, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    One of the reasons why I am happy to have Mitch back.

Good signing, IMO.
    I fully agree.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I'd rather have LoMo, but if we end up with both or JD, I'm okay with it, but I still think we need more power from the 1B position.

Sounds like Cora has a plan for how he wants to run our team. So far I am liking what I am hearing.

Of course it is easy to talk a good game in spring training. Let’s see how he does during the crush of the regular season and hopefully a pennant race.

@jcmccaffrey

Northeastern lineup vs Red Sox: Koppens CF, McConnell RF, Burt SS, Perry DH, Lang 3B, Farrell 1B, Holzwasser 2B, Gealson C, Walsh LF. RHP Ennen

@jcmccaffrey

Red Sox lineup vs. Northeastern: Bradley Jr. CF, Benintendi LF, Devers 3B, Moreland 1B, Swihart C, Holt 2B, Marrero SS, Selsky RF, Rei DH, Beeks LHP

*insert it's happening gif*

@jcmccaffrey

Red Sox lineup vs. Northeastern: Bradley Jr. CF, Benintendi LF, Devers 3B, Moreland 1B, Swihart C, Holt 2B, Marrero SS, Selsky RF, Rei DH, Beeks LHP

*insert it's happening gif*
    Is it televised?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    It probably is a rare day that I can say this, but everything that Cora has said makes me think that he really could be a very good one for us. He isn't hung up on the whole concept of lefty, righty,lefty, righty ... A statement like - if you can hit you are going to hit - I like. His approach so far just seems to me to be one of common sense. Doesn't sound like much is going to be scripted. Put your best players on the field and do what it takes to win.

Is it televised?
    See here

Thanks. Watching. Retirement is good.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I feel bad for the Northeastern pitcher. He's a freshman and he looks like he is going to have a heart attack. He walked all 5 batters that he faced.

Deity
    wow actually watching some bb