Register now to remove this ad

Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training 2018 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I'm not concerned one way or the other about Hanley's option. It's a non factor for me, as it should be for Cora. I trust Cora to do the right thing.
    A vesting Hanley option may close the window earlier or with a slam.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    If everybody slows down for a minute and just thinks about the ramifications of what happens if Hanley comes up 10 or 20 at bats shy of the magic number, it just doesn't look very good for the home team. No one is going to care about 22 million and very few will take the stand that Hanley didn't earn it and that they are all over paid to begin with. It would become a social media nightmare I'm afraid in this day and age. If he is injured or just isn't playing well, that is another matter. I'm predicting that one way or another it won't be close if he doesn't get enough at bats. Most people me included do not want his option to make it but for us to say no way is one thing and the reality I think is something entirely different.
    If we have a legitimate argument for benching HRam enough to prevent a vest, I'm fine with any ramifications. If it's a close call, it could get messy.

He has already under performed for two of his three years here. I don't care how it looks even if he is having a monster year. There is no way the Sox let this vest. By the way, does anyone know if he gets released say 1 AB short and another team picks him up for just one game does his option vest for that team?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    There has been no indication that Hanley will be grumbling about anything. He understands the situation.
    Whenever I hear the statement "X understands the situation" in a business context, X is invariably about to get screwed, and consequently does not accept the 'situation' in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    JBJ would have to have a ridiculously awful year at the plate for him to be benched. His defense alone will always allow for him to stay in lineups.
    Hitting .200 would probably do it.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    Hitting .200 would probably do it.
    As long as he provides a decent OBP, plays his usual elite defense and flashes some pop, I don't really care about his average. He only hit .245 last year and was a 3 WAR player.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbo-Diem View Post
    He has already under performed for two of his three years here. I don't care how it looks even if he is having a monster year. There is no way the Sox let this vest. By the way, does anyone know if he gets released say 1 AB short and another team picks him up for just one game does his option vest for that team?
    I'm fairly certain no one posting here cares how it looks. You can feel and you can say anything you choose to say about any professional baseball player here it looks like to me. It is your opinion as it is everybody elses. We don't speak for the owners of the Boston red Sox. I'm pretty sure that whether he has under performed in the past or not, if it appears that they are making an attempt to keep him from getting those at bats, they are going to care greatly. I honestly hope that it doesn't come to that. It will be a very bad day for everyone involved. If it happens this way, do you think that anyone would accept a contract with a vesting option similar to this from the Red Sox ever again. I don't want to see Hanley get those at bats either but if they pull the kind of shit here that some are suggesting I predict that they will be in a world of hurt. It is not my problem for sure but that is my opinion and it is one reason why I don't like this kind of contract. It makes no difference whether anyone here likes or dislikes Hanley Ramirez.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I'm fairly certain no one posting here cares how it looks. You can feel and you can say anything you choose to say about any professional baseball player here it looks like to me. It is your opinion as it is everybody elses. We don't speak for the owners of the Boston red Sox. I'm pretty sure that whether he has under performed in the past or not, if it appears that they are making an attempt to keep him from getting those at bats, they are going to care greatly. I honestly hope that it doesn't come to that. It will be a very bad day for everyone involved. If it happens this way, do you think that anyone would accept a contract with a vesting option similar to this from the Red Sox ever again. I don't want to see Hanley get those at bats either but if they pull the kind of shit here that some are suggesting I predict that they will be in a world of hurt. It is not my problem for sure but that is my opinion and it is one reason why I don't like this kind of contract. It makes no difference whether anyone here likes or dislikes Hanley Ramirez.
    I don't see how the Sox will be "in a world of hurt". They will be free of a mediocre player and can apply the 22 million to extending any number of players that are actually worth that sort of money. I also doubt that a team would accept his contract from the Sox, my question pertained to if he was released. The whole discussion may be moot since he will most likely be injured tripping over his helmet running down to 1st.

Deity
    We have a first baseman who hasn't played the field for 3 straight games since 2016, and people are worried about his option vesting?

Raking or not, Hanley is 34 years old and not as durable as he used to be. Which was never all that durable...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    We have a first baseman who hasn't played the field for 3 straight games since 2016, and people are worried about his option vesting?

Raking or not, Hanley is 34 years old and not as durable as he used to be. Which was never all that durable...
    Good points, but this time of year is all about "what ifs...?"

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbo-Diem View Post
    Not if he clears waivers, which he will do of he gets released...

Got a different take on Hanley ...I hope he is so damn good he makes the All star team he vests ...because if we have "That" Hanram ? We have a World Series team without making moves at the midway .JT and "That" Hanram plus Devers ??? Plus a beefed up Benny ? A year of Blake instead of a dinged up Holt ? Mookie freaking Betts having a bounce back season inspired ???? Shhhhhhh oooooot folks just hand that Trophy over now .Not even including Nuney for an entire year ???? Yeah I'll take Hanley Vesting .
    Last edited by Natick to NC; 03-21-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Not if he clears waivers, which he will do of he gets released...
    A DFA with 1 AB to go would be radical!
    Last edited by moonslav59; 03-21-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    A vesting Hanley option may close the window earlier or with a slam.
    You do have a flair for hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    Got a different take on Hanley ...I hope he is so damn good he makes the All star team he vests ...because if we have "That" Hanram ? We have a World Series team without making moves at the midway .JT and "That" Hanram plus Devers ??? Plus a beefed up Benny ? A year of Blake instead of a dinged up Holt ? Mookie freaking Betts having a bounce back season inspired ???? Shhhhhhh oooooot folks just hand that Trophy over now .Not even including Nuney for an entire year ???? Yeah I'll take Hanley Vesting .
    Yes, this. I've spent a lot of time scratching my head and wondering why so many posters seem to be almost hoping Hanley will fail.
    The more successful Hanley is the more successful the Sox are and conversely (or is it inversely?) the less successful Hanley is the less successful the Sox are.

It would seem like we should all be hoping Hanley has a monster season with the attitude that if he fails we at least won't have his contract for another year...doesn't it?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully