Register now to remove this ad

Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training 2018 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Yes, this. I've spent a lot of time scratching my head and wondering why so many posters seem to be almost hoping Hanley will fail.
    The more successful Hanley is the more successful the Sox are and conversely (or is it inversely?) the less successful Hanley is the less successful the Sox are.

It would seem like we should all be hoping Hanley has a monster season with the attitude that if he fails we at least won't have his contract for another year...doesn't it?
    That is a good attitude, yes.

We can rattle on all we want about Hanley's option (and we will), but I'm quite sure the Sox FO and Cora have already discussed this at some length and have a sensible plan in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You do have a flair for hyperbole.
    If it keeps us from signing Pom or replacing him in kind and/or moves our draft pick down 10 slots, it MAY close the window earlier or more forcibly.

Maybe mild hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    If it keeps us from signing Pom or replacing him in kind and/or moves our draft pick down 10 slots, it MAY close the window earlier or more forcibly.

Maybe mild hyperbole.
    OK, that seems fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    OK, that seems fair.
    I said "may" in my original post.

If [Hanley's vesting] keeps us from signing Pom or replacing him in kind and/or moves our draft pick down 10 slots, it MAY close the window earlier or more forcibly.

Or to put a more positive spin on it, Hanley's having a year which allows him to vest may take us deep into the playoffs.

If Hanley has 550 PA"s & an .850 OPS year and we lose in the WS are we going to be wishing his option hadn't vested?

I'm not. I want this team to go just as far as they can and I'll worry about this alleged "cliff" after the season is over.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

I'm not a big believer in the cliff anyway. When I think of the cliff I see Wiley Coyote plummeting into an abyss with an anvil in his arms. I don't see that happening. IMO as long as John Henry is at the helm this "cliff" will consist of battling for 3rd place for a couple of years while the team is reloading. That certainly won't be my favorite thing but OTOH I survived consecutive last place finishes and we're now in the thick of things again. It's not like we're going to become Seattle.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

If Hanley has 550 PA"s & an .850 OPS year and we lose in the WS are we going to be wishing his option hadn't vested?

For me, most likely yes.

It depends on whether I think we had similar options along the way.

.850 will likely be way better than Moreland, Swihart or Travis, so it might be a clear choice to keep him playing. I get that, but if he's .950 vs LHPs and .800 vs RHPs, that's pretty close to Moreland vs RHPs, and since Moreland is a better fielder, I might still limit HRam's ABs even if he's at .850. Or, wish I did later.

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I'm not a big believer in the cliff anyway. When I think of the cliff I see Wiley Coyote plummeting into an abyss with an anvil in his arms. I don't see that happening. IMO as long as John Henry is at the helm this "cliff" will consist of battling for 3rd place for a couple of years while the team is reloading. That certainly won't be my favorite thing but OTOH I survived consecutive last place finishes and we're now in the thick of things again. It's not like we're going to become Seattle.
    It's hard to imagine a team spending $39M over the luxury limit having quality roster issues, but if you look at the timing of contract expirations of our best players and the state of our farm right now, a "cliff" is a real and to me, a probable happening.

We may debate what "a cliff" means, but it's very probable we will not be high competitive in 2021...maybe even 2020.

Legend
    Poyner looking good, wonder if he goes North?

@PawSox

Brock Holt is batting .345 (10-for-29) and
    leads the @RedSox with a .472 OBP. Holt has also only struck out twice this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Poyner looking good, wonder if he goes North?
    Since he has options, I'd hold him off until we get an injury in the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @PawSox

Brock Holt is batting .345 (10-for-29) and
    leads the @RedSox with a .472 OBP. Holt has also only struck out twice this spring.
    He's feeling all that heat from Marrero!

He's also pissed from reading Talksox.

http://m.mlb.com/player/571918/deven-marrero

Ice cold. DFA Marrero!