Register now to remove this ad

Page 37 of 75 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox To Sign J.D. Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Or even imagine if David was insistent on playing first base. He could probably play first about as well as Miggy Cabrera. I assume it was his issues with his feet that prevented him from ever thinking too hard about that.
    Or imagine if he played LF? he'd be getting Giancarlo Stanton money. Or perhaps...Manny Ramirez money.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Or imagine if he played LF? he'd be getting Giancarlo Stanton money. Or perhaps...Manny Ramirez money.
    No, he'd have been on the DL half his career.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    No, he'd have been on the DL half his career.
    Which is not mutually exclusive from getting Manny Ramirez money. ...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Which is not mutually exclusive from getting Manny Ramirez money. ...
    He wouldn't have Manny like numbers being on the DL half the time.

Deity
    He wouldn't have Manny like numbers being on the DL half the time.
    Also very different from getting Manny money.

Carl Crawford made in excess of Manny money and spent plenty of time on the DL. ..

This is a thought exercise, I probably should have stated that with THAT particular point I'm assuming Ortiz could play LF. If he could play left field he'd probably have the body to play LF, and if he had the body to play LF he'd probably be less injury prone out there. In which case, Manny money would be an excellent comp as they played around the same time.

I think the main take away from this is if David Ortiz put up the same offensive numbers and was athletically gifted enough to sustain a job in the field even on an average level he could easily command the highest pay day in his day.

This is a thought exercise, I probably should have stated that with THAT particular point I'm assuming Ortiz could play LF. If he could play left field he'd probably have the body to play LF, and if he had the body to play LF he'd probably be less injury prone out there. ...
    My head hurts.

Deity
    This is a thought exercise, I probably should have stated that with THAT particular point I'm assuming Ortiz could play LF. If he could play left field he'd probably have the body to play LF, and if he had the body to play LF he'd probably be less injury prone out there. In which case, Manny money would be an excellent comp as they played around the same time.

I think the main take away from this is if David Ortiz put up the same offensive numbers and was athletically gifted enough to sustain a job in the field even on an average level he could easily command the highest pay day in his day.
    So essentially your argument boils down to - if Ortiz was an even better all around player, he could have made even more money. ..

My head hurts.
    Major lulz.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    So essentially your argument boils down to - if Ortiz was an even better all around player, he could have made even more money. ..
    Yeah I guess it sounds pretty dumb when you put it like that. I blame myself for conveying my point rather poorly. JDM value is highly tied up in his bat, which holds a lot of value. Pretty obvious point so I guess you can call me captain obvious.

Yeah I guess it sounds pretty dumb when you put it like that. I blame myself for conveying my point rather poorly. JDM value is highly tied up in his bat, which holds a lot of value. Pretty obvious point so I guess you can call me captain obvious.
    The point stands, though, that David Ortiz was relatively underpaid because he was a DH, and if he had been able to play first base, not necessarily even that well, he would have made a chunk more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The point stands, though, that David Ortiz was relatively underpaid because he was a DH, and if he had been able to play first base, not necessarily even that well, he would have made a chunk more money.
    The good old days, when you could sign a 1.000 OPS, 40+ HR 130+RBI guy for 4 years and $52 million dollars.

The good old days, when you could sign a 1.000 OPS, 40+ HR 130+RBI guy for 4 years and $52 million dollars.
    Yes, exactly, for pocket change.

Deity
    And you didn't even need to give him a no-trade clause, because in those days a $13mill salary was a no-trade clause...

Ortiz was passable at 1B. There were just better first basemen out there to be had. The Sox took advantage of getting the most from that (1B & DH) situation. Gotta remember, Ortiz was fighting for more playing time early in his career (& injuries in Min) with both the Twins & Sox. Twins had Mientkiewicz (‘nuff said), before that veterans. Sox had a bunch of 1B options, Jeremy Giambi, Millar, etc... From a team perspective it just made more sense to make him the primary DH. Did it hurt how much money he could ultimately make? Yes, definitely. But considering it took Pedro to get the Sox to sign him, and Pedro again to fight for him to get more playing time, I think Papi did ok money-wise compared to what his fate could’ve easily been (a 2003 retirement). I personally believe if Ortiz had a full career at 1B he’d been average or very slightly below average, but with his bat nobody would’ve cared.

So, no 1B for JDM? I would’ve liked to atleast see him get some reps there but that just me. I still can’t see him getting THAT much playing time in the OF. Again, from a team perspective... why?