Register now to remove this ad

Page 21 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox To Sign J.D. Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    People in love with Holt probably was sad to see Buchholtz go. But, but, but it'd only cost us $12M. I'm glad you don't manage my money.
    Mark me down as a Buchholz fan too. (Has he been signed yet? And if not, what are you waiting for Dave?) I was not sad to see him go, but I was also not eagerly pushing him out the door.

You should want me managing your money. I'd save you tons.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Nonsense.

It can be a good deal or a bad deal.

You guys keep ignoring the possibility of him not performing well and deciding to stick around for 5 years.

Pete Abraham calls me a pessimist. Well, to only talk about the good that COULD come from this deal while ignoring the potential pratfalls of another big money long term contract is optimistic.

I am a realist.
    IMO, there really is no such thing as a 'good' long term deal.

That said, in terms of the way contracts go for free agent players like JD, it's a good contract, relatively speaking. Yes, it could end up being horrific, but without the benefit of hindsight, I'd call it a good deal. Again, I'm speaking in relative terms compared to other long term deals.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Well the medical staff is in Boston, and Martinez has had a couple of major injuries in the past ... and this is a lot of money. If anything, I'd think there might be some extra haggling on injury clauses and such. But I don't think this deal is getting derailed.
    I don't think the deal will get derailed either, but I do believe the Sox must have found something in the medicals that is giving them cause to delay the official announcement. I don't think it's just a logistical thing at this point.

I just read a report that there are medical concerns holding up the JD signing.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Well the medical staff is in Boston, and Martinez has had a couple of major injuries in the past ... and this is a lot of money. If anything, I'd think there might be some extra haggling on injury clauses and such. But I don't think this deal is getting derailed.
    Speaking of the Sox medical staff, is anyone else scratching their head over what's going on with Marco?

He was supposed to be ready by ST'ing, then maybe not.

Then he has a "set back".

Then he goes to have the pins removed from his shoulder.

In that order.

Am I missing something by not being in the Boston media market anymore?

MLBTR reports...

Latest on J.D. Martinez, Red Sox
    By Kyle Downing | February 24, 2018 at 1:28am CDT

1:28pm: Both sides are being cautious, but the Red Sox and Martinez’ camp still expect to finalize the deal, Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reassures. He adds that the delay mainly stems from “a desire to make sure the exact language of the contract is right in light of these potential red flags.”

10:01am: The Red Sox and slugger J.D. Martinez recently agreed to terms on a five-year, $110MM pact, but an official announcement has yet to come from the team, even though a press conference was expected as far back as Thursday. Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston shed some light on the situation today, reporting that the two sides are sorting through a “medical matter” following Martinez’ physical.

There’s a belief that the matter will not have any effect on the outfielder’s ability to take the field in the immediate future. At this time, there’s no further clarity as to what the issue is, but Drellich writes that “a better understanding between the parties” could come at some point today. There are apparently some additional medical experts involved, including a few consultants referred by agent Scott Boras.

It doesn’t seem as though the contract itself is in any real jeopardy. The process of ironing out the issue is reportedly “thorough and cooperative”. Yesterday, in a more speculative piece on the subject, Drellich suggested that a collapse of the contract at this point would be a “wildly unexpected scenario”. It’s entirely possible that the agreement will proceed untouched or be revised in only a slight way. Nevertheless, whatever snag the two camps have hit regarding Martinez’ physical only serves to delay the slugger’s spring training debut.

There are more questions than answers surrounding the situation at the moment, but we’ll be sure to provide updates as they come.

[QUOTE=moonslav59;1120218]Speaking of the Sox medical staff, is anyone else scratching their head over what's going on with Marco?

In that order.

[/QUOTE

Moon I have see almost nothing about Marco until yesterday or the day before when it was revealed that he was complaining of pain. They decided the hardware installed in his shoulder is the culprit and must be removed. There is no time table for his return. It is mostly up to how much discomfort he can withstand while playing.

Prior to this I saw only mention of him as one of several possible fill-ins for Pedroia. I believe that no one in our media see him as a valuable piece. I only see positive stuff about him on talksox.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

[QUOTE=Spudboy;1120220]
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Speaking of the Sox medical staff, is anyone else scratching their head over what's going on with Marco?

In that order.

[/QUOTE

Moon I have see almost nothing about Marco until yesterday or the day before when it was revealed that he was complaining of pain. They decided the hardware installed in his shoulder is the culprit and must be removed. There is no time table for his return. It is mostly up to how much discomfort he can withstand while playing.

Prior to this I saw only mention of him as one of several possible fill-ins for Pedroia. I believe that no one in our media see him as a valuable piece. I only see positive stuff about him on talksox.
    It puzzled me that the pins were not removed already, but I guess the original plan was to leave them in.

I've always liked Marco, but admit my good feelings were not based on anything concrete.

MLBTR reports...

Latest on J.D. Martinez, Red Sox
    By Kyle Downing | February 24, 2018 at 1:28am CDT

1:28pm: Both sides are being cautious, but the Red Sox and Martinez’ camp still expect to finalize the deal, Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reassures. He adds that the delay mainly stems from “a desire to make sure the exact language of the contract is right in light of these potential red flags.”

10:01am: The Red Sox and slugger J.D. Martinez recently agreed to terms on a five-year, $110MM pact, but an official announcement has yet to come from the team, even though a press conference was expected as far back as Thursday. Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston shed some light on the situation today, reporting that the two sides are sorting through a “medical matter” following Martinez’ physical.

There’s a belief that the matter will not have any effect on the outfielder’s ability to take the field in the immediate future. At this time, there’s no further clarity as to what the issue is, but Drellich writes that “a better understanding between the parties” could come at some point today. There are apparently some additional medical experts involved, including a few consultants referred by agent Scott Boras.

It doesn’t seem as though the contract itself is in any real jeopardy. The process of ironing out the issue is reportedly “thorough and cooperative”. Yesterday, in a more speculative piece on the subject, Drellich suggested that a collapse of the contract at this point would be a “wildly unexpected scenario”. It’s entirely possible that the agreement will proceed untouched or be revised in only a slight way. Nevertheless, whatever snag the two camps have hit regarding Martinez’ physical only serves to delay the slugger’s spring training debut.

There are more questions than answers surrounding the situation at the moment, but we’ll be sure to provide updates as they come.
    Thankyou for posting this Moon ....it's all making since now .Tonight will be announcement and Monday will likely be introductions .....beyond that .....Houston we have a problem.
    Last edited by Natick to NC; 02-24-2018 at 06:02 PM.

It's 930 Saturday now ....still nothing ? Not good

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    It's 930 Saturday now ....still nothing ? Not good

Why? If he still isn't signed at midnight does he revert back into being a Diamondback?

If there's something wrong, it's good we found it while there's still some good FA options out there.

If it's minor, the signing will be announced soon.

Deity
    If there's something wrong, it's good we found it while there's still some good FA options out there.

If it's minor, the signing will be announced soon.
    The guy has averaged about 120 games played per season for his entire career. Think they found anything that wasn't minor?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The guy has averaged about 120 games played per season for his entire career. Think they found anything that wasn't minor?
    Some of the early season low game totals were not injury related.

Some of his injuries have been minor.

I'm not saying I know what the issue is now, but I'm glad we're giving it due diligence.

Legend
    Some of the early season low game totals were not injury related.

Some of his injuries have been minor.

I'm not saying I know what the issue is now, but I'm glad we're giving it due diligence.
    There may be a reason that teams, armed with more inside information than most fans, shied away from J.D. Martinez.

Or not.