Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Yankees get Drury

Yankees get Drury

3 team trade. Steven Souza and Taylor Widener to the Diamondbacks. Nick Solak and Anthony Banda to TB. Brandon Drury to NY. May be other pieces. Drury is a 25 yr old right handed hitter who plays an adequate 2b and has some pop. He does have a high K rate to this point with a low walk rate. His power should improve with time likely capping out as a 20HR player. I wonder if he will ever develop patience. This is a deal that acquires a low rent place holder. I liked Solak and Widener a lot and think we might end up regretting this deal, but right now this allows us the opportunity to hold a place for the Torres or Andujar. Drury can play both places.
    Last edited by jacksonianmarch; 02-20-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    Hal sucks

I don't know what to think about this, they are obviously dealing from the depth they have. I don't like to lose Widener but I have to trust Cashman and his scouting department, the last time I felt this puzzled was with the Didi trade and it was a huge win for us

Something else should be coming, they need to clear a roster spot for him

All-Star
    I'm not a fan of the deal to be honest. I was hoping Andujar would play 3B and Wade 2B to start the season buuuuut Cashman has built credit for me to wait this deal out a little.

I think this is a good deal. Obviously time will tell, but at this moment it's a good deal for the Yanks. Solak is our 4th best infield prospect and we're pretty flush with right handed pitching prospects, especially ones who likely project as backend bullpen pieces. So losing Widener is not that big of a loss imo. We dealt from our strengths. As for Drury, he's a solid piece who can play 2nd or 3rd (both big league positions of need) and who is still young and has more upside. It gives us more flexibility with our infield if Andujar/Torres/Wade are not ready to take on a bigger role.

I'd give this trade a B.

If Drury takes off and hits to his potential, then this deal is a homerun. But I think Solak has the potential to be a solid #2 hitter and Widener looks the part of a closer long term. If both those guys hit their ceilings and Drury continues on replacement level without rising, we’ll regret the deal

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    If Drury takes off and hits to his potential, then this deal is a homerun. But I think Solak has the potential to be a solid #2 hitter and Widener looks the part of a closer long term. If both those guys hit their ceilings and Drury continues on replacement level without rising, we’ll regret the deal
    We just have to trust Cashman and his recent track record.