Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you could sign any NBA player to play for the Red Sox, who would it be and why?

Jordan, on the other hand, had relative success in professional baseball. He didn't reach the majors but he did play in AA and hit 3 HRs. He might not of had the sexiest stat line but when you consider he had not played the sport in over a decade at 31 and jumped over rookie ball, low A and high A it was actually pretty impressive.

It makes you wonder what could have been if he pursued a baseball career and got some prime development during his younger years. It's hard to argue he didn't make the right choice however.

Deity
    If you're looking at an NBA player for an MLB team, hitting shouldn't even come up. Even the most athletic players have very large strike Zones they would struggle to protect. I'd think teams would be better off getting someone like Tyson Chandler or Alex Len who could generate significant moment with longer arms and get some serious velocity on a fastball, not to mention would have a huge stride cutting their release point down to maybe 50 feet from home plate.

Amir Garrett of the Reds isn't as tall but basically does the same thing. As the most common physical attribute associated with basketball players is height, that is where you should look for the advantage.

I would think very few NBA players can hit MLB pitching, And the ones who actually can are probably not the big name basketball superstars you think of. ..

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If you're looking at an NBA player for an MLB team, hitting shouldn't even come up. Even the most athletic players have very large strike Zones they would struggle to protect. I'd think teams would be better off getting someone like Tyson Chandler or Alex Len who could generate significant moment with longer arms and get some serious velocity on a fastball, not to mention would have a huge stride cutting their release point down to maybe 50 feet from home plate.

Amir Garrett of the Reds isn't as tall but basically does the same thing. As the most common physical attribute associated with basketball players is height, that is where you should look for the advantage.

I would think very few NBA players can hit MLB pitching, And the ones who actually can are probably not the big name basketball superstars you think of. ..
    I suppose this is a highly subjective question that everyone might interpret differently. I took it as imagining the MLB equivalent of an NBA player, you're taking on a physical tools level, which immediately probably better serves the original question better than I did.

From that perspective, you bring up a good point that many NBA players might struggle, BUT a lot of MLB players got height too. Stanton is 6'6" JDM and Machado are 6'3" Miguel Cabrera is 6'4" and Aaron Judge is 6'7" and that was just 2 minutes of research. I'm sure I could find a few more sluggers past and present who are tall.

Russel Westbrook and Kyrie Irving are only 6'3" You don't have to be 6'10" to be elite in the NBA....unless perhaps you're a C C/F.