Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Yanks v Sox, rivalry renewed

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    If you extrapolate the Yankees 5-0 record so far in spring training through the end of the year, they're going to win at least 173 games between the regular and postseason. Simple mathematatics!
    Makes as much sense as using WAR to project wins.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Makes as much sense as using WAR to project wins.
    When I average the last two seasons, the Yankees should wind up in second place. Those are the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Why not use the last 4 years

Why not use the last 4 years
    Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez weren't on the team 3-4 years ago. Duh!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I’m not sure there are many non sox fans who’d have the Sox ahead of the Yanks offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Rivalry? The Yankees can't even carry the BoSox jocks right now. The division is ours.
    !!!

End of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I’m not sure there are many non sox fans who’d have the Sox ahead of the Yanks offensively.
    no not really,this is something only a yankee fan would say.

Fangraphs currently has the two offenses dead even in terms of runs scored.

In all seriousness, I'd have to give the edge to the Yankees to win the division.

But I wouldn't rule out the good guys.

Both teams are pretty similar. It would not surprise me if either/both teams finished with 100+ wins. But it will take a lot of things to go right for both teams in terms of health, players playing to their potential, and live chicken sacrifices.

Both teams are pretty similar. It would not surprise me if either/both teams finished with 100+ wins. But it will take a lot of things to go right for both teams in terms of health, players playing to their potential, and live chicken sacrifices.
    Fangraphs also thinks Judge is going to turtle and barely reach an .800OPS. He was terrible from the ASB to the last week of August and still ended up with a .938OPS in the second half. The guy has superhuman strength and an incredible eye. I think the eye will come in handy to a ridiculous degree this season as umpires should start calling his actual strike zone
    Hal sucks

Legend
    I would agree with that assessment. I think the Yankees have more firepower in their lineup. If Thornburg can come back strong I would rate our bullpens about even. However, over the course of a 162 game season it is generally the starting pitching that rules the day, and IF our SPers can stay healthy I think the Sox have a decided edge over the Yankees in that department. Severino is good, but he is no Chris Sale; and assuming Price is healthy (yes, its a big assumption) he is easily better than Tanaka. Porcello is due for a much improved year; Pom had a great year last year and as a #3-4 SP he has to be one of the best. ERod, once healthy also has to be the best #5 in the league. We do need some depth, but only diehard Yankee fans would say that a healthy SP rotation for the Yankees would be better than a healthy SP rotation for the Red Sox.

Davenport projections has the Red Sox outscoring the Yankees 835 runs to 821 runs.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    I would agree with that assessment. I think the Yankees have more firepower in their lineup. If Thornburg can come back strong I would rate our bullpens about even. However, over the course of a 162 game season it is generally the starting pitching that rules the day, and IF our SPers can stay healthy I think the Sox have a decided edge over the Yankees in that department. Severino is good, but he is no Chris Sale; and assuming Price is healthy (yes, its a big assumption) he is easily better than Tanaka. Porcello is due for a much improved year; Pom had a great year last year and as a #3-4 SP he has to be one of the best. ERod, once healthy also has to be the best #5 in the league. We do need some depth, but only diehard Yankee fans would say that a healthy SP rotation for the Yankees would be better than a healthy SP rotation for the Red Sox.
    If all of them stay healthy

Rotation Sox > Yanks
    Lineup Yanks > Sox

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    If Carson Smith comes back strong, we may not need Thornburg. If both do very well, watch out Yanks!