Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2018 General Baseball Gamethread

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar

Official 2018 General Baseball Gamethread

Getting this up early because I am super-excited about the beginning of baseball season. I don't know why, but this offseason seemed longer than they usually do. Even the offseasons after the Sox had a bad year didn't seem to drag on like this. Maybe it's because baseball is all I have going, maybe it's because the weather keeps going nuts on us. 70 degrees for a week, then nine inches of snow less than two weeks later. I have no idea. All I know is that FUCKING BASEBALL IS ALMOST BACK and that's all that matters in the end.

This will be the first true "Opening Day" since 1968, in that all MLB teams will begin on the same day. No one-game opener on the West Coast the night before everyone else, no games in Japan or Mexico or Puerto Rico or Liechtenstein a few days ahead of time, just 15 games all on the same day. Fucking yes.

So this is our discussion thread for in-game happenings other than those of the Red Sox or the, uh, I forget their name. That team full of assholes with the fanbase full of even more assholes, plus Billy Crystal. Anyways, Go Sox! And Rockies! And Pirates! And...well, go everyone, baseball rules! Except, you know, that other team. Oh, and the Orioles, fuck those guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

I'm excited to see how the Rays starting rotation shenanigans works out.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I'm excited to see how the Rays starting rotation shenanigans works out.
    I think Cash is going to look stupid on this idea.

But who really knows? Somehow the Rays can be good. They usually have talent show up each season.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I think Cash is going to look stupid on this idea.

But who really knows? Somehow the Rays can be good. They usually have talent show up each season.
    I haven't really read the stories about Cash's 4 man rotation that closely, but on the surface, it just doesn't make any sense to me. We'll see.

Can't wait for the season to start. Two more weeks!

Forget that March Madness stuff. Go baseball!

I’m down for anything new. It may not work, but is another thing to discuss and ponder.

Deity
    A couple seasons ago, both Cash and Ned Yost were experimenting with the idea of minimizing starter innings and relying heavily on the bullpens. Our wad actually working out very well as the teams were 1 and 2 in ERA and 14 and 15 in starter innings in the AL...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I haven't really read the stories about Cash's 4 man rotation that closely, but on the surface, it just doesn't make any sense to me. We'll see.

Can't wait for the season to start. Two more weeks!

Forget that March Madness stuff. Go baseball!
    You can either run out a 5th starter who will get his teeth bashed in or you can have multiple looks once a turn. I understand the rationale. This was more a necessity due to circumstance as they dealt Odorizzi then lost their top two pitching prospects with arm injuries
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    You can either run out a 5th starter who will get his teeth bashed in or you can have multiple looks once a turn. I understand the rationale. This was more a necessity due to circumstance as they dealt Odorizzi then lost their top two pitching prospects with arm injuries
    Well, if you don't have a #5 starter, there's not much of a choice. But you're also going to burn your pen out a lot quicker.

Well, if you don't have a #5 starter, there's not much of a choice. But you're also going to burn your pen out a lot quicker.
    That is true. I anticipate the Rays will be running their 25th man down every 5 days to get fresh arms.
    Hal sucks

If you're not looking to win, it's easy enough to rely heavily on a taxi squad.

Every day MLB.com has one game free to watch. Opening Day, the first Opening Day in decades where every team is playing, everyone has been waiting on the edge of their seats after an offseason full of big moves, and what do they choose as the free game of the day for Opening Day? San Diego and Milwaukee. That'll certainly be the one to entice people into buying MLB TV
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    Every day MLB.com has one game free to watch. Opening Day, the first Opening Day in decades where every team is playing, everyone has been waiting on the edge of their seats after an offseason full of big moves, and what do they choose as the free game of the day for Opening Day? San Diego and Milwaukee. That'll certainly be the one to entice people into buying MLB TV
    Hey, I got Chase Anderson starting in fantasy. Speak for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

First pitch of the season is a HR, love it!

I honestly had no idea Gardenhire was managing the Tigers this year. What part of his managing career with the Twins made the Tigers' ownership say "Yeah, that's the guy we want!"? The multiple last-place finishes? Repeatedly getting swept out of the first round of the postseason?

Marlins just beat the Cubs in a 17 inning game.