Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Starting Rotation Mega Thread

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    With Wright gone for 15 games to begin the season it is particularly encouraging to see Johnson look good again today.

He threw 77 pitches today and never looked like he was in trouble. Against a real Yankee lineup.
    I'm surprised that the jackman hasn't posted a response to you already. Imagine this - he has been trying to educate the likes of me with respect to how little spring training means. We all know those Yankmees weren't really trying. I think that it means quite a bit to Johnson though. He likely could be just what we have been looking for!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'd probably give Wright 2-3 more starts before calling him up.
    Could we just stash him in AAA ? Please

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    BRIAN JOHNSON - might just be his time!
    This is what many here hope is exactly what happens ...love the high FB today he looked really confident .

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    So Velazquez can stay up?

I thought you judged players by ST'ing numbers.

Pomeranz and Rodriguez will start he year on the dl. Wright to start the year on the suspended list.

Sale
    Price
    Porcello
    Johnson
    Velasquez

Very tough to strive with that rotation. Let’s hope the bats are hot for the first two months of the season.

I think he is out of options.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Pomeranz and Rodriguez will start he year on the dl. Wright to start the year on the suspended list.

Sale
    Price
    Porcello
    Johnson
    Velasquez

Very tough to strive with that rotation. Let’s hope the bats are hot for the first two months of the season.
    It's not that bad.

We start out playing the Rays and Marlins - all the way to April 8.

And we have off-days on April 4, 6, and 9.

Plus we shouldn't be without Pomeranz for long from the sounds of it.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It's not that bad.

We start out playing the Rays and Marlins - all the way to April 8.

And we have off-days on April 4, 6, and 9.

Plus we shouldn't be without Pomeranz for long from the sounds of it.
    While the Sox early schedule is nice, that is a pretty bad rotation to start the year. Because as the season wears on, more pitchers get hurt than get healthier...

Deity
    No options left. He can do a rehab outing and then a decision has to be made...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    While the Sox early schedule is nice, that is a pretty bad rotation to start the year. Because as the season wears on, more pitchers get hurt than get healthier...
    I don't know - it's not a bad rotation if Johnson pitches decently and Pomeranz is back quickly.

Which is not to say I'm not aware that our rotation depth could be a problem over the long haul.

I don't know - it's not a bad rotation if Johnson pitches decently and Pomeranz is back quickly.
    The real "ace-in-the-hole" could be ERod.

He's been nagged by this knee injury for years. Maybe the surgery will, once and for all, help him become the pitcher we all hoped he'd be.

Deity
    If those 5 are our starters at the beginning of the season, I'm not sure that it is bad at all. Two potential aces at the top - who else has that. I expect Porcello to be what he is - a solid innings eating mid rotation kind of guy. I just like Johnson. If he is healthy, I just don't think that it is like throwing some bum out there just to fill a spot. I think that he can pitch. I'm not buying into what the negative Nellies are serving.

Deity

Every team has a good rotation if the pitchers are healthy and pitch well. But the issue is - what happens when everything doesn't go your way?

Deity
    Which is not to say I'm not aware that our rotation depth could be a problem over the long haul.
    At least I finally get why Dombrowski ignores pitching depth.

In his last 6 seasons in Detroit, he rarely had any pitching injuries. He only had one season where more than 6 starters started add many as 5 games. It looked like he put 3 or 4 starting pitchers on the DL in that stretch, which is a crazy low number for a team that has Drew Smyly... l