Register now to remove this ad

Page 56 of 400 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    They are so loaded with depth. Depth in the starting rotation and depth with their position players too. This is a team that can't find at bats for Swilhart, and they will eventually get Pedroia and Bogaerts back from injury. Lin is a valuable asset--good glove and he has a little Brett Gardner to his offensive game with his patience at the plate. Moreland provides awesome depth.
    When Bogey returns, we'll probably send down Lin.

When Pedey returns, it's Holt vs Swihart. I'd keep Swihart and send Holt to AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm against the idea. I'd just try to give Sale more rest by yanking him earlier than last year and taking advantage of more days off during the season schedule by not skipping lesser pitcher's starts.
    This plan sounds reasonable to me.

When Pedey returns, it's Holt vs Swihart. I'd keep Swihart and send Holt to AAA.
    The Red Sox can't risk losing Swihart.

I also think once all the pitchers are healthy (Thornburg, Wright, Maddox, Poyner...) we'll have some minor league depth for the bullpen.

This is fun team to watch right now.

Once we get Dustin and Xander back, I can't imagine us not scoring and there will be games we'll just blow open the game as we've done the last two games.

We now have 7 guys with an OPS over .780:

1.249 Betts
    1.111 Bogey
    1.025 Moreland
    .921 JMart
    .912 HRam
    .838 Devers
    .792 Nunez
    .782 Beni

.668 Holt
    .663 JBJ
    .595 Vaz
    .261 Leon

Funny how a 15-2 record has completely silenced the Catcher Offense critics. I suppose when we hit a slump, calls for Swihart to catch will resume.

But will a 15-2 record and a 1.025 OPS completely silence the Moreland Signing critics?

Funny how a 15-2 record has completely silenced the Catcher Offense critics. I suppose when we hit a slump, calls for Swihart to catch will resume.

this is exactly my point in the JBj thread. when the players you are paying to hit the ball actually...hit the ball. you can have your #9 hitter be a #9 hitter. defense is the primary matter for catcher and CFer.
    other names i have posted under: none

Does anyone support the Red Sox going to a 6 man rotation, not necessarily for the entire regular season, but maybe for a 2-3 month stretch?

Sale
    Price
    Porcello
    Rodriguez
    Pomeranz

Options for 6th starter:
    Wright
    Johnson
    Velaquez

I want to keep Price healthy. I want to keep Sale strong for October. The Red Sox have so much SP depth, why not use it to their advantage?
    i am not opposed to this idea at all. in fact, i support this idea.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    But will a 15-2 record and a 1.025 OPS completely silence the Moreland Signing critics?
    For now.
    \

Deity
    We have obviously not seen everybody yet so this is a way premature comment. But I think the starting pitching relative to the teams we are facing is a huge difference. In fact it is likely the dif has been large the last couple of years and Farrell simply did not know how to take advantage of it.

Our starting pitching is so good on a relative basis. Been seeing it over and over again. Maybe its the concentration on power pitching. But we see guys that either:
    - throw 0-0 meatballs because they are so afraid of getting behind in the count which is their general state of being on the mound. This is where the Farrell approach really became outdated
    - then we also see starters that either see their velo fall of a cliff edge at about the 50 pitch mark or loss command of their off speed stuff at about the 40 pitch mark

Skaggs last night was a perfect example of the latter case. He started the game with a decent curve, fairly tight, deep. By 40 pitches the thing was already flattening out, was neither as tight nor as deep and it was getting tagged. A decent weapon at the start of the game had turned into a meatball inside of 50 pitches. If that is what the rest of the league calls starting pitching these days, I am not sure they can keep the Sox under 100 wins.

We are not going to have an .882 winning % at the end of the season. Even 80% is a 130 win season.

We will have some struggles, but this team looks deep and strong. We have enough players coming off the DL soon to help fill any gaps that might open up as the season goes forward or players get hurt.

Gotta love this team right now!

We are not going to have an .882 winning % at the end of the season. Even 80% is a 130 win season.

We will have some struggles, but this team looks deep and strong. We have enough players coming off the DL soon to help fill any gaps that might open up as the season goes forward or players get hurt.

Gotta love this team right now!

There's going to be competition in the pen when everyone returns.

The Red Sox can't risk losing Swihart.
    Sounds like the plan.

Unless they trade Swihart.

Now the big dicks on this site will point out that Swihart has very diminished value and he won't draw much attention or much in return.

I say this is fucking bullshit. The other teams know that the kid has talent. They just need to see that he is healthy.

Several teams could use Swihart right now from what I have see on MLBTV.

I don't want him gone but if he is just going to be a late inning filler just trade his ass and let him have a chance at flourishing elsewhere.

I have no idea what the Sox could get for him.

I would take a decent prospect who is producing at lower levels.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!1!11!
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Sell high on him for a top of the rotation starter!
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    There's going to be competition in the pen when everyone returns.
    Indeed.

Here's how I see our pen, if fully healthy:

(Assuming Pom & Wright are back and healthy as well)

Closer- Kimbrel
    Set-up- Thornburg
    Set-up- C Smith
    RP4- Kelly
    RP5- Barnes
    RP6- Wright (out of options)
    RP7- Johnson (out of options)

Odd man out: Hembree (out of options)

AAA: Velazquez, Poyner, Walden, Maddox, Workman, Scott & Elias