Register now to remove this ad

Page 42 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: The Alex Cora Managerial Decision Thread

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Look what JBJ went through after hitting .726 last year.

I can only imagine what Lin (or Holt) would go through had he played FT this year.

Also, Nunez is our best 4th OF'er, and it's not even close.
    JBJ had a long looping swing for much of last year. He continues to swing quite hard now and I don't see him reducing his swing even when he has two strikes. I really hope that he can improve his hitting but there has been a lot of time for that and his time is now or he may not be in the plans in the future.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Sox75 View Post
    Inexplicable!
    Cora is so dumb. 13-2 so far is no excuse for his innumerable incompetencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Cora is so dumb. 13-2 so far is no excuse for his innumerable incompetencies.
    Managers don't matter. It has been proven statistically.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    JBJ had a long looping swing for much of last year. He continues to swing quite hard now and I don't see him reducing his swing even when he has two strikes. I really hope that he can improve his hitting but there has been a lot of time for that and his time is now or he may not be in the plans in the future.
    OT ....this is where he is ...he's made no real change to the swing and continues to have a very troubling graph...Would I look to up grade him? No we have Mookie for that would I trade JBJ for a great return if offered ? I don't know that either ...the Redsox and myself see the potential still .

I firmly believe that our pitchers attacking opposing hitters more aggressively with Bradley patrolling center fielder, just because they are 100 percent confident that he has their back.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    I firmly believe that our pitchers attacking opposing hitters more aggressively with Bradley patrolling center fielder, just because they are 100 percent confident that he has their back.
    Betts, too, especially in the spacious RF of Fenway.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    How long was the delay? 45 minutes? I agree that's long, but MLB pitchers and their bodies have to be used to dealing with long long delays between innings routinely. So there's no magical point,is there, where you "tighten up." Any physiologists out there who know? (i.e., if say, something like 15-20 minutes is ok, but a half-hour or more is difficult to deal with?) The only tiring part might be the time required to warm up? not the pitching itself.
    Smoltz said on the MLB Network broadcast that 45 minutes was about the limit. I'll go with the 21 year vet's opinion on that.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Does anyone think the Sox would have this same record if JF was still the manager?

Max - you were the biggest supporter of JF right until the final game last season (and maybe his only supporter by that time). would love to hear your thoughts on this.
    I had been a big defender of his along with you up until late Spring/early Summer last year when i finally had enough. you, AFAIK, never reached that breaking point with JF. looking back, do you think you should have?
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Does anyone think the Sox would have this same record if JF was still the manager?

Max - you were the biggest supporter of JF right until the final game last season (and maybe his only supporter by that time). would love to hear your thoughts on this.
    I had been a big defender of his along with you up until late Spring/early Summer last year when i finally had enough. you, AFAIK, never reached that breaking point with JF. looking back, do you think you should have?
    They needed a whole new look and they got it. Farrell gone and Pedroia in the dugout for a little while = a damn good baseball team. Might even be as good as those Yankees! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post

I'm not Max but I'll respond too.

Things reached a point last year when I was ambivalent about JF. I don't have any major issues with how he managed, mostly because I believe he has more knowledge at his disposal than I do. I've also always thought that the most valuable thing(s) a manager does aren't on the field, they're in the clubhouse - the place where fans don't see what's going on.

I supported JF at the beginning of the season but by the time the season was over I had the feeling that there were unresolved issues within the clubhouse and I hold Farrell responsible for that. I'm not sure that's fair because I'm not sure anyone could have resolved those issues but I hold him responsible anyway for not finding something that worked. That may be unreasonable on my part and if so.... so what? It's what I think.

By the time the season was over I didn't care if he got rehired or not. I'd have been fine with giving him another shot at that clubhouse but - and here's where that 20/20 kicks in - I can now see that not giving him that second chance was a good move. Cora is a new face with new ideas, a new attitude and no 2017 baggage.

Of course, being 14-2 helps me in making that decision too.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

I think JF is a fine manager for a predominantly veteran team. I think what Betts & XB have alluded to about last season should carry some weight. They “could’ve had more fun”. Yeah, I know that might sound ridiculous. Players making millions doing what they love... fuck your fun, right? But it is what it is. Last season could’ve been more about atmosphere than anything. And who knows? Maybe they’ll be a better team for it in the long run. But I think Cora may be a better fit because of the youth on this team and him being maybe more relatable. Maybe more approachable even.

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post

Things reached a point last year when I was ambivalent about JF. I don't have any major issues with how he managed, mostly because I believe he has more knowledge at his disposal than I do. I've also always thought that the most valuable thing(s) a manager does aren't on the field, they're in the clubhouse - the place where fans don't see what's going on.

I supported JF at the beginning of the season but by the time the season was over I had the feeling that there were unresolved issues within the clubhouse and I hold Farrell responsible for that. I'm not sure that's fair because I'm not sure anyone could have resolved those issues but I hold him responsible anyway for not finding something that worked. That may be unreasonable on my part and if so.... so what? It's what I think.

By the time the season was over I didn't care if he got rehired or not. I'd have been fine with giving him another shot at that clubhouse but - and here's where that 20/20 kicks in - I can now see that not giving him that second chance was a good move. Cora is a new face with new ideas, a new attitude and no 2017 baggage.

Well said.

While I agree that JF had more knowledge at his disposal than I do, as well. That is not a criteria I use. Any good manager should know way more than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    I think JF is a fine manager for a predominantly veteran team. I think what Betts & XB have alluded to about last season should carry some weight. They “could’ve had more fun”. Yeah, I know that might sound ridiculous. Players making millions doing what they love... fuck your fun, right? But it is what it is. Last season could’ve been more about atmosphere than anything. And who knows? Maybe they’ll be a better team for it in the long run. But I think Cora may be a better fit because of the youth on this team and him being maybe more relatable. Maybe more approachable even.
    Doesn't sound ridiculous to me. All of us have likely worked at jobs that were 'no fun', and when that was the case, we didn't work as well or hard as we did in other jobs. When it's a drag going to work, all the money does is make you feel grimly that you really have no choice but to get on the damn train.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post

A far better answer than I would have mustered. I normally assume the manager knows a lot more than I, plus the Sox won the AL East in 2016 and 2017. But at the end of 2017 and especially the ALDS, I had no objection to Farrell being fired.

What I see now is a fresh start and a putting-behind of whatever bad stuff may have happened last year. As S5Dewey says, the results are dramatic and positive with Cora at the helm.

I would remind everyone that exactly the same thing happened in 2013 when Farrell replaced Valentine.

I also like the comment from someone about the game being fun. Yes, you need to be a professional, but you can do that and still have fun because it's game that we all loved playing when we were young (and not so young).
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 04-18-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Managers don't matter. It has been proven statistically.
    If that's the case, why didn't they keep Farrell?
    They can enjoy their record now, but when it comes to playoffs and big games, you need an aggressive coach that isn't afraid to lay down a bunt at the right time. Exactly what I would have done today, in the 9th when Oakland's pitcher was hurtin and couldn't run. I would have had Vasquez lay one down the 1st base line. If he gets on, you got Betts up next. Farrell was a passive coach as well. I was hoping Cora was different. Please don't say coaching don't matter. You can win some games without coaching, but you won't beat better teams without it, unless every team has bad/passive coaching.