Register now to remove this ad

Page 44 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: The Alex Cora Managerial Decision Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Cora is so dumb. 13-2 so far is no excuse for his innumerable incompetencies.
    Im assuming you were being sarcastic.....btw Boston has a good team and I think just about any coach in the league could have sat in the dugout and probably had the same record at that time.......to be honest, I really haven't seen Cora do much of anything unique or substantial explaining their successes as of yet....I hate to be so "negative", no im not perfect, but I could probably only point things out that need to be worked on.....

Quote Originally Posted by StephenCurry30 View Post
    there is no way david price should've faced khris davis today. he was tiring and carson smith was ready. davis is premiere power hitter in todays game.
    Agree. This was another rookie manager mistake. Trying to get the veteran pitcher through the inning in hopes to get him a W. He should have been pulled once 2 reached....
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    I don't mind that, it is a legitimate gripe, but the talk of Price being shitty, the team going nowhere in October, and Sale going to suck in playoffs, is just absurd.

For the record, the amount of off days our best player is getting is absurd, Mookie is good enough to win games by himself and he should be in lineup literally every day.
    I am a firm believer that good coaching wins championships. I think the only exception in sports might be basketball. But, then again,I think good coaching might be needed there too. I have seen teams in baseball win without much coaching(when Farrell won in Boston), but I think having aggressive coaching is best. As far as how far the team goes in October, I think, Boston has a good team, but I have not seen Cora do anything yet that would separate him from every other manager in baseball. Then again, it does seem like more and more managers in baseball are taking more of a passive managing approach. Like I stated in another post, I think the only thing Farrell lacked was aggressiveness and I was hoping they hired Cora to correct that. I know this sounds crazy, but I would have considered pitching Fister in Game 1 of the postseason last year against Houston. He was pitching very good at the tail end of the year, threw a 1 hitter against Cleveland. I'm not saying I would have been right but I know it can take ballzy moves as a manager to win. Sometimes making a move, no one else understands..........

Quote Originally Posted by Dalas21000 View Post
    I am a firm believer that good coaching wins championships. I think the only exception in sports might be basketball. But, then again,I think good coaching might be needed there too. I have seen teams in baseball win without much coaching(when Farrell won in Boston), but I think having aggressive coaching is best. As far as how far the team goes in October, I think, Boston has a good team, but I have not seen Cora do anything yet that would separate him from every other manager in baseball. Then again, it does seem like more and more managers in baseball are taking more of a passive managing approach. Like I stated in another post, I think the only thing Farrell lacked was aggressiveness and I was hoping they hired Cora to correct that. I know this sounds crazy, but I would have considered pitching Fister in Game 1 of the postseason last year against Houston. He was pitching very good at the tail end of the year, threw a 1 hitter against Cleveland. I'm not saying I would have been right but I know it can take ballzy moves as a manager to win. Sometimes making a move, no one else understands..........
    Why? He is a mediocre pitcher and when he did start in a playoff game he got rocked by the Astros, starting him in game 1 would of been idiotic. Fister was going to get rocked by Houston regardless of what game he pitch.

To everyone that thinks people are going overboard with their comments at this time of season, and "panicking"..... Despite the good start, I don't think you can be too critical about the team. We have a rookie manager that I think is making some of the same mistakes that Farrell did last year and as a sox fan we want to see improvement.....Not just a 13-2 start, but I think most of us would like to see them go further in the playoffs this year as well......

We don’t need ballzy moves. We need our best players to play. He treated this like a spring training game. I’m not calling for Cora’s head, but I’m scratching mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Why? He is a mediocre pitcher and when he did start in a playoff game he got rocked by the Astros, starting him in game 1 would of been idiotic. Fister was going to get rocked by Houston regardless of what game he pitch.
    I see what you're saying, he let up 3 runs early against Houston in game 3. I was not aware of that. I'm just trying to say lets bring in a manager that takes chances and doesn't just do the same thing that every other manager would do in the same situation. I believe in more of an aggressive approach as a coach in baseball. I have seen it work more times than not while I was playing.

I see what you're saying, he let up 3 runs early against Houston in game 3. I was not aware of that. I'm just trying to say lets bring in a manager that takes chances and doesn't just do the same thing that every other manager would do in the same situation. I believe in more of an aggressive approach as a coach in baseball. I have seen it work more times than not while I was playing.
    while I played*

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    We don’t need ballzy moves. We need our best players to play. He treated this like a spring training game. I’m not calling for Cora’s head, but I’m scratching mine.
    I disagree. Perhaps a ballzy move for Cora, would have been to play those players....

Deity
    Being aggressive is not over managing. Being aggressive is what separates the 10 other pretty good teams from Championship teams. But maybe that's just the norm in Professional baseball today? When I played, aggressive teams won championships
    When you start insisting the team bunt and steal home more, you're calling for overmanaging. The Sox do Need to execute properly and the fans need to accept the reality that the Sox are going to lose two games in a row once in a while. ...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    When you start insisting the team bunt and steal home more, you're calling for overmanaging. The Sox do Need to execute properly and the fans need to accept the reality that the Sox are going to lose two games in a row once in a while. ...
    +10

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Being truthful here, with an off day tomorrow, I didn’t see any real need whatsoever to rest that many starters when still winning the series after being no-hit was a definitel possibility. I’m starting to think Cora was the one who needed a day off, not Betts, Hanram and Nunez.
    I might be the only one who has noticed this judging by the bulk of the comments, but Cora's MO looks like he intentionally gives players the day off before an off day, probably too double the rest.

I also wonder if the unreasonable cold most of the country had been experiencing was a factor.

I do question leaving Price in for so long today, but those games happen. ...

All these days off should pay dividends later in the year and into the playoffs.

I've scrathed my head a few times, but I'm loving Cora, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    All these days off should pay dividends later in the year and into the playoffs.

I've scrathed my head a few times, but I'm loving Cora, so far.
    I say they don't...

I meant I do .....

I meant I don't think it matters..... well maybe ........ not sure really..... I think it comes down to the genes of a players family...... or maybe it's love that matters....

I have no idea and I don't think anyone will know until later in the season....... which is a bitch. Looks like we are going to see how this plays out. Or maybe not.
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    I say they don't...

I meant I do .....

I meant I don't think it matters..... well maybe ........ not sure really..... I think it comes down to the genes of a players family...... or maybe it's love that matters....

I have no idea and I don't think anyone will know until later in the season....... which is a bitch. Looks like we are going to see how this plays out. Or maybe not.
    My head was already spinning before i read this. Now, I'm going to bed.