Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 Bullpen Season Thread

Deity
    I think it is very important that the entire bullpen be evaluated by one inning.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I think it is very important that the entire bullpen be evaluated by one inning.
    Not only the entire bullpen, but the manager as well.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Our bullpen will be fine. Cora will be fine.

Those kinds of bullpen implosions happen.

That it happened in the opening game of the season makes it seem a lot worse.
    I hope so, but Smith looked shaky to me again yesterday. Relievers are trying to throw their best stuff every pitch and paint the corners. Makes you wonder if they think about how damaging a walk can be?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I hope so, but Smith looked shaky to me again yesterday. Relievers are trying to throw their best stuff every pitch and paint the corners. Makes you wonder if they think about how damaging a walk can be?
    What was so shaky about Smith yesterday? He faced 3 hitters. One hit, one k. Nothing spectacular, but certainly not shaky. ..

I was excited to get my first look at Bobby Poyner. Gotta say 89-90 MPH heater with little movement didn't impress, I felt that was before he gave up the bomb.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaz Fan Since '67 View Post
    I was excited to get my first look at Bobby Poyner. Gotta say 89-90 MPH heater with little movement didn't impress, I felt that was before he gave up the bomb.
    Barnes had his turn at being shaky. I just don't know why he thought to walk a guy when he had a 1 run lead and two out. If Barnes throws the ball hard and somewhere on the plate he has roughly a 25 to 30% chance of getting it hit. Even a home run only ties it and the likelihood of that is fairly small. By walking the batter, now he set into motion a potential steal, a run on a two base hit or a game loss on a home run. What was his follow up. Going 3 and 2 on the next batter to allow him to run on the pitch. No matter, he walks him as well, bringing up their best hitter. Good thinking Barnes. He then gives up a hit over the outfield for a run and only two good throws saved it from being a loss. Good that we wound up winning but it is like our pitchers, who are supposed to be pros, can't think of the logical conclusion of what they do. I don't buy that he couldn't throw a strike. More like his mind went blank and he thought it a better idea to try to get the batters to chase, which they didn't do. Pretty stupid approach to pitching.

Deity
    1. Not so sure Barnes' walks of Anderson and Bout were as intentional as you imply.
    2. Throwing strikes right down the middle to Justin Bour is a very quick way to end the game, but not with the result we all wanted.
    3. Cameron Maybin is the Marlins' best hitter? Hottest, maybe. But not their best or even close.
    4. If not for one bad inning on opening day, would this thread even exist?

1. Not so sure Barnes' walks of Anderson and Bout were as intentional as you imply.
    2. Throwing strikes right down the middle to Justin Bour is a very quick way to end the game, but not with the result we all wanted.
    3. Cameron Maybin is the Marlins' best hitter? Hottest, maybe. But not their best or even close.
    4 ER in 21 IP after throwing out that one bad inning.

1.71 ERA

Barnes was filthy as usual to the first batter ...then ok then bump in the road that derailed him ....how about looking at Kelly and Barnes as one at bat pitchers ? 2 tops but never 3 unless emergency .kelly pitches first two outs in 7 th Barnes last out and next out in 8th Hembre in for next two then big Red ? Mix and match as needed .
    Last edited by Natick to NC; 04-03-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    Barnes was filthy as usual to the first batter ...then ok then bump in the road that derailed him ....how about looking at Kelly and Barnes as one at bat pitchers ? 2 tops but never 3 unless emergency .kelly pitches first two outs in 7 th Barnes last out and next out in 8th Hembre in for next two then big Red ? Mix and match as needed .
    I'm thinking both look like perfect 1-2 IP type pitchers for the 6th to 7th innings (8th when Smith or Kimbrel need a day off.).

We need Smith to earn the 8th inning role.

Hembree might earn a vital role, too.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm thinking both look like perfect 1-2 IP type pitchers for the 6th to 7th innings (8th when Smith or Kimbrel need a day off.).

We need Smith to earn the 8th inning role.

Hembree might earn a vital role, too.
    What is the word on Thornburg's progress?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    What is the word on Thornburg's progress?
    I'm trying not to be too optimistic

The Boston Red Sox certainly could have used Tyler Thornburg out of the bullpen during their Opening Day loss, but he likely won't make his long-anticipated team debut until around the start of May.

Thornburg is continuing to work his way back from shoulder surgery, and Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski told WEEI on Friday that the reliever is still "maybe a month away" from coming off the disabled list.

The 29-year-old has been brought along slowly this spring and recently tossed a 15-pitch live batting practice.

Legend
    If the walks weren't the result of Barnes unwillingness to throw strikes and to nibble outside the strike zone, then we have a guy who can't throw strikes, which could be even worse.

How about Vaz taking some responsibility for that movement behind the plate ??? Jumping around sometimes not only screws the pitcher it screws up a shitty ump ...And continue to call for a pitch that wasn't even close ?? Sorry but I caught abit and if your pitcher is missing that bad with an ump that shitty it's time to call something else ...The movement by Vaz in regards to Barnes and Kelly who have a book out on them for being less than stellar With command ?? That's needs to be address today .Vaz is by far our best catcher but coach this kid my God his bat is Golden right now ....Chris Sale can hit a nats ass ....Kelly and Barnes are lucky to hit Vaz glove when it's dead center stationary never mind a foot inside while he's jumping ....Cut the shit and Vaz is an all star .
    Last edited by Natick to NC; 04-04-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    How about Vaz taking some responsibility for that movement behind the plate ??? Jumping around sometimes not only screws the pitcher it screws up a shitty ump ...And continue to call for a pitch that wasn't even close ?? Sorry but I caught abit and if your pitcher is missing that bad with an ump that shitty it's time to call something else ...The movement by Vaz in regards to Barnes and Kelly who have a book out on them for being less than stellar With command ?? That's Tard level to not address today .Vaz is by far our best catcher but coach this kid my God his bat is Golden right now ....Chris Sale can hit a nats ass ....Kelly and Barnes are lucky to hit Vaz glove when it's dead center never mind a foot inside ....Cut the shit and Vaz is an all star .
    Everytime you say "tard" it really invalidates any good point you are trying to make.