Register now to remove this ad

View Poll Results: When will David Price return to the Hill?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • He makes his next scheduled start

10 50.00%
  • He misses his next start

6 30.00%
  • He goes on 10 Day DL and returns mid May

1 5.00%
  • Diagnosed with UCL strain returns after All Star Break

0 0%
  • TJ Surgery returns July 2019

0 0%
  • Tingling continues Thoracic Outlet Syndrome is diagnosed --Returns April 2019

3 15.00%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: When will David Price Return to the Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I'm not concerned about Pedey's abilities on the field. He's not 23 years old any more but at his age he's better than many 23 year olds. My concern is more about the residual effect of "It's not me, it's them" in the clubhouse. I see three ways this could go down.

1. Pedey sees himself as somewhat of a leader and he may carry some animosity forward because he (apparently) wasn't "followed" after the Machado incident.
    2. The players from last year's team may look at Pedey and think "This guy doesn't have my back. This is all about him. We went to bat for him and he threw us under the bus."
    3. Everyone comes back a year older and wiser with the attitude that "shit happens" and they put it behind them. This is what I hope happens but I'm not so naive that I think it's guaranteed. People are people and egos are egos and sometimes a perceived slight can open a lasting wound.

Or maybe my concerns are unfounded. We'll see.
    excellent points. dammit. i think it will be a combo of 1 & 2.
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    Oh, I don't know. Maybe because they've been getting their asses kissed for so long, the kids have forgotten what it's like to have someone tell them the truth for a change?
    But is hearing the harsh realities necessary to having a winning attitude?

This isn't about whether Eck was right or wrong. Your supposition was that Price was a poison to the team's winning attitude. While Price might be a very unpleasant human being, is he really so toxic? Is he an issue at all? The Sox have been immensely successful since he arrived. Is that a coincidence? Would the Sox, coming off back to back last place finishes, been the same, better, or worse without him?

That last part is obviously subjective and conjecture. But do you see where I'm going here?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If there was still a residual effect from that, we'd be seeing it right now. He's with the team day in and day out. He's a fixture in the dugout. If he was a rotten apple, the barrel would've been spoiled this year.
    I think that it has been great that Pedroia has has to sit in that dugout and watch this team win without him. It should motivate him. Used to use an old trick with the prima donnas - put your hand in a bucket of water and watch the ripples build - take your hand out of the bucket and watch how fast everything gets back to normal. No one is indispensable - they can be replaced. I'm thinking that he comes back and helps this team.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    But is hearing the harsh realities necessary to having a winning attitude?

This isn't about whether Eck was right or wrong. Your supposition was that Price was a poison to the team's winning attitude. While Price might be a very unpleasant human being, is he really so toxic? Is he an issue at all? The Sox have been immensely successful since he arrived. Is that a coincidence? Would the Sox, coming off back to back last place finishes, been the same, better, or worse without him?

That last part is obviously subjective and conjecture. But do you see where I'm going here?
    The answer is it depends.
    If the group of brats who applauded the incident on the plane still think that's the proper way to handle an issue with the media, then issues could crop up again this year.

If Cora gets in their faces about it (unlike Farrel), or if there are members of the team that don't agree with tthat behavior, there could be some real problems in the clubhouse. That could affect the win/loss record.

While I think Price is a sensitive little prick, I don't believe he can sink this team on his own.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I think that it has been great that Pedroia has has to sit in that dugout and watch this team win without him. It should motivate him. Used to use an old trick with the prima donnas - put your hand in a bucket of water and watch the ripples build - take your hand out of the bucket and watch how fast everything gets back to normal. No one is indispensable - they can be replaced. I'm thinking that he comes back and helps this team.
    We'll see. If he's a negative oWAR guy again, I'm sure I'll be very quiet about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I'm not concerned about Pedey's abilities on the field. He's not 23 years old any more but at his age he's better than many 23 year olds. My concern is more about the residual effect of "It's not me, it's them" in the clubhouse. I see three ways this could go down.

1. Pedey sees himself as somewhat of a leader and he may carry some animosity forward because he (apparently) wasn't "followed" after the Machado incident.
    2. The players from last year's team may look at Pedey and think "This guy doesn't have my back. This is all about him. We went to bat for him and he threw us under the bus."
    3. Everyone comes back a year older and wiser with the attitude that "shit happens" and they put it behind them. This is what I hope happens but I'm not so naive that I think it's guaranteed. People are people and egos are egos and sometimes a perceived slight can open a lasting wound.

Or maybe my concerns are unfounded. We'll see.
    I think the concerns are unfounded...

I think the concerns are unfounded...
    As do I.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    As do I.
    As do I. In fact, I think the "concerns" about Pedey are specious. Two years ago--actually, 18 months ago--he finished the 2016 season with the 14th highest WAR in the American League. Last year he played hurt when he played at all.

The only thing holding him back is the knee and/or injuries in general. When he is healthy, he can still be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    As do I. In fact, I think the "concerns" about Pedey are specious. Two years ago--actually, 18 months ago--he finished the 2016 season with the 14th highest WAR in the American League. Last year he played hurt when he played at all.

The only thing holding him back is the knee and/or injuries in general. When he is healthy, he can still be good.
    no one is questioning how he will play (i dont think). the question is...will he act like a baby dick? will he be disruptive to the chemistry?

from S5's post:

The difference this year is that I believe Cora won't let Pedey be such a douche.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    no one is questioning how he will play (i dont think). the question is...will he act like a baby dick? will he be disruptive to the chemistry?

from S5's post:

There are some who are questioning his ability to play, but I get that that was not the issue.

As far as I know, no one who has ever played with him, currently or in the past, has ever called his leadership or whether he is a good teammate into question. The comments in response to those types of questions are always positive. I also get that his current teammates are likely not going to throw him under the bus, but his former teammates who have nothing to lose by being truthful, have also spoken very highly of him.

Price is going to be just fine.
    We miss you Mike.

Of course he will be.

He is still one of the best starters in the game.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post

from S5's post:

I think people are probably making way too big of a deal of that incident without knowing the whole story.

I think people are probably making way too big of a deal of that incident without knowing the whole story.
    He literally is on tape saying “it’s them, not me”. What story do you think we’re missing? He literally shouts it across the diamond.....