Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Sox dilemma in the making?

I'm already bummed that Velazquez and Johnson won't get to prove themselves as starters. Definitely an embarrassment of riches.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    I'm already bummed that Velazquez and Johnson won't get to prove themselves as starters. Definitely an embarrassment of riches.
    it is a very long season - we will see plenty of them

They'll probably get another chance. Besides, has anyone said Price is ready to start?

I'm happy Pom will be back soon.

I was happy ERod came back. He looked real good in his second start.

Yet people criticize DD for not being able to sign a 'cheap' starter. They knew Sox starting pitching was loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    They will make a difference over the next 147 games.

We are bound to hit a rough patch or two before the season is over. Hopefully, the infusion of these players coming off the DL will help minimize our future losses.
    Bingo. They probably wouldn't have made a difference in our record to date, but they will be (hopefully) big contributors going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    I think Nunez will be lucky to last the season. The knee is clearly bothering him and by June, it should be swelled up and causing him discomfort.

Pedroia is only good for 80 to 90 games a season before he breaks down. Add in that he fractured the locker room last year and provides no veteran leadership and you could have a team chemistry problem once he returns.

I really like Lin’s swing and plan of attack at the plate. I think he becomes a huge utility player for us this year.
    Hogwash.

Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    I think that if anything we may have an excess of good players, maybe a few more than what constitutes normal depth. This will soon be true in the relief staff, and is already true with players like Swihart and perhaps Lin. Swihart should definitely be seeing more action (somewhere else if not here) and Lin looks like he at least belongs on the team. And, or course, Pedey's return will accentuate this.

I would say it's more a problem for a few players than it is a team problem.
    It's a good problem to have, and as they say, these things have a way of working themselves out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yet people criticize DD for not being able to sign a 'cheap' starter. They knew Sox starting pitching was loaded.
    There have been plenty of seasons where we thought we had good pitching depth.

Then suddenly, we're looking at the likes of Sean O'Sullivan.

You can never have enough pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post

Anyone out there willing to wait? How much will it cost?

These are depth players as far as I’m concerned and yes we’re very fortunate to have them both perform as well as they have. What I usually hope for (hope, not expect) from our #7 & #8 SPers is to just simply keep us in games long enough for somegood offense to happen. Anything beyond that and I’m signing Pour Some Sugar On Me. Figuratively not literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post

Yes, and I believe O'Sullivan was like 8th or 9th on the depth list that year.

I'm almost always for adding pitching. I differ from some by hardly ever wanting us to upgrade our 5th our 6th starter. I usually want us to upgrade from the top 2-3 slots only. Then, everyone else gets knocked down 1 notch.

This winter was different. Our budget was so tight that I felt there was no money for a top 3 slot pitcher. I wasn't against signing vets to minor league deals, but I wasn't upset we started the season with basically just 3 legitimate staters on the depth chart and one (Wright) inactive for a month.

I felt Velazquez and Johnson needed to get a look, and if both failed, and Pom and Wright were not back by then, we could then go out and find a journeyman pitcher at a pro-rated salary cost.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by tombirner View Post
    Lin has been called up twice now and excelled both times. I'm not saying he'll continue at this clip, but I don't think Holt will give you more over an entire season. Or is Holt out of options or something?
    What has been obvious in this player evaluation process is that Alex C Has a far better idea of who can play and who can't. Lin & Swihart have caught his eye, and Holt has cone nothing since returning to keep him even in the conversation. I will root for Pedy to return to at least a fraction of his former self, but not with much coniction.

Bosox ...Lin and Swihart are dinamic players .Holt has to be the odd man out once Pedey returns ....does he have an option left ?

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    What has been obvious in this player evaluation process is that Alex C Has a far better idea of who can play and who can't. Lin & Swihart have caught his eye, and Holt has cone nothing since returning to keep him even in the conversation. I will root for Pedy to return to at least a fraction of his former self, but not with much coniction.
    Bench time:

PAs
    51 Nunez
    30 Moreland
    29 Holt
    18 Leon
    14 Lin
    10 Swihart

Innings on defense
    107 Nunez
    68 Holt
    64 Moreland
    38 Leon
    34 Lin
    10 Swihart

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    Bosox ...Lin and Swihart are dinamic players .Holt has to be the odd man out once Pedey returns ....does he have an option left ?
    Yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")