Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Sox dilemma in the making?

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    The pen is the real question mark on this team and its not insignificant. Anytime Cora will have to reach into in earlier than the 7th inning it will be an issue.

As for the everyday player...I would not be looking to move any of them unless somebody wants to make me an offer I can't refuse. We are now into the 2018 championship season. There are so many injuries during the course of one championship season that all these players we are worried about will get playing time.

Plus, do we really want to rid ourselves of the enigma that is JBJ? Who would want to get rid of a guy that goes from flat terrible to wildly on fire at the plate, back and forth like JBJ does while being a simply superb CFer. Do you really want to be doomed to a season of Beni in CF and JD in LF. I don't!
    In a way I'm kinda glad we got to see JDM in LF and Beni in CF. Sometimes you have to see what something looks like in order to see that you don't want it.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    In a way I'm kinda glad we got to see JDM in LF and Beni in CF. Sometimes you have to see what something looks like in order to see that you don't want it.
    I think we all knew before seeing it, that JMart in the OF would seriously weaken a great defensive trio.

I've seen enough to know that the data was correct. JMart is way worse than JBJ, Betts or Beni on defense.

DFA JDM. If it wasn't for that lousy turd, they'd be 16-0!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    I don't think that anybody is super hyped up about moving JBJ. There is difference between wanting a guy who can really play to hit better and trading him. As the years go by though, trades are going to happen and someday he might be a part of one. As for our bullpen, I think that it could turn into one of our strengths as the season moves along.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    DFA JDM. If it wasn't for that lousy turd, they'd be 16-0!

Now we are talking although I'd have to throw in that stiff Devers - he can't field his position.

Let me repeat. " There is no dilemma." Smooth sailing ahead. Be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Now we are talking although I'd have to throw in that stiff Devers - he can't field his position.
    If we extrapolate that one play where he had a fielding error AND a throwing error, he'd have 300 errors in one season. Unacceptable!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Let me repeat. " There is no dilemma." Smooth sailing ahead. Be happy.
    Pete and repeat went down to the lake. Pete fell in. Who was left?

The dilemma exists only in the mind of the writer of the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Pete and repeat went down to the lake. Pete fell in. Who was left?
    more importantly...if a seagull lives by the sea...what lives by the bay?
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    more importantly...if a seagull lives by the sea...what lives by the bay?
    Wharf Rats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20dic8S3cWI

Lin could probably be a starting 2B for the bottom third of the league, but he's going to fade if he gets exposed. He's a good tap hitter with some speed, and a soid middle infielder, but not a star. I like him in the Alex Cora style role, supersub and pinch runner. He can def start if he needs to. But any of Holt, Nunez or Petroia will outperform him as a starter for an extended period of time.

That said he's been impressive as a fill in, and I'm def glad we have him. He's very useful a a depth option and like I said, I think he could start at an average-or-so level based on the very low bar 2B tend to have to clear offensively, especially with a little experience. Reminds me somewhat of Chris Getz or Willie Harris and they made half decent MLB careers for themselves. But if given time to really get exposed he's not going to be hitting for a .900 OPS, that's for absolutely certain.

Absolute ceiling for Lin is a Chone Figgins style career. I don't see him getting there. That said a serviceable tweener utility man/long term fill in guy can make an MLB career for himself, and would be a good outcome for Lin. He's definitely worth working with, but he won't beat Pedey or Bogey once those two are healthy.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Legend
    That would be tough - Chone Figgins at peak was a pretty rich man's Eduardo Nunez. A playable guy at a lot of positions (but not "good" at any of them) but you want his bat in the lineup.

Lin's competition is not Bogey, Pedey or Nunez (on offense anyways).

It's Lin vs Holt, and even Holt might be sent down when Pedey returns, since Swihart is out of options.

Who's due back first, Bogaerts or Pedroia? If Bogaerts, will Nunez remain at 2nd or will Holt, with his recent offensive production, have forced his way into 2B discussion until Pedroia returns?