Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4/19 at the Angels

One thing Pomeranz coming back will do, is definitely improve our depth, and bullpen. I've been very happy with Cora's bullpen management lately, in blowouts, he has been pitching his long guys 2-3 innings and not wasting innings on guys like Hembree who seemed to be worn out by the ASB last year. He's help keeping the bullpen and starter fresh, while also giving Johnson and Velazquez work and keeping them ready. This rotation problem to have is a good one.

The one guy who I'm not sure where he'll fit in is Steven Wright.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    One thing Pomeranz coming back will do, is definitely improve our depth, and bullpen. I've been very happy with Cora's bullpen management lately, in blowouts, he has been pitching his long guys 2-3 innings and not wasting innings on guys like Hembree who seemed to be worn out by the ASB last year. He's help keeping the bullpen and starter fresh, while also giving Johnson and Velazquez work and keeping them ready. This rotation problem to have is a good one.

The one guy who I'm not sure where he'll fit in is Steven Wright.
    Agree with all. A long season demands pitching depth. Don't much care about Wright even thought moonslav says he can still be pretty effective. What worries me about Wright is twofold: his knuckler ain't moving enough and he gets hit hard; it's working, but he can't get it into the strike zone. When he is on, however, he does everything moonslave says he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Not buying "significant difference" when the staff ERA is 2.66. Pom replaces Velazquez as a starter, and as a starter Velazquez has had 2 starts, 10.2 innings, 10 K's, 2 walks, and I think a 2.52 ERA.

I say again: I'm glad to have Pom back because he definitely adds depth to the staff. And I certainly hope he is as good as you say he will be.
    Velazquez will go to the pen and improve it. We are adding Pom not losing Velazquez.

Not buying "significant difference" when the staff ERA is 2.66. Pom replaces Velazquez as a starter, and as a starter Velazquez has had 2 starts, 10.2 innings, 10 K's, 2 walks, and I think a 2.52 ERA.

I say again: I'm glad to have Pom back because he definitely adds depth to the staff. And I certainly hope he is as good as you say he will be.
    Not to take anything away from what Velazquez has done, but the improvement in adding Pom to the rotation should be felt over the long run. Pom is not likely to improve over the two starts Velazquez has already made, but he will likely be a fair improvement over what Velazquez would do the remainder of the year as a starter.

Keep the good times rolling!

Win!

Agree with all. A long season demands pitching depth. Don't much care about Wright even thought moonslav says he can still be pretty effective. What worries me about Wright is twofold: his knuckler ain't moving enough and he gets hit hard; it's working, but he can't get it into the strike zone. When he is on, however, he does everything moonslave says he does.
    What matters is how often "He has it" vs how often "He doesn't have it."

The same is true for most MLB pitchers. if a curveball pitcher doesn't have it, he will suck.

Wright has very good numbers over the last 3-4 years (ML and minors). He's actually been pretty consistent.

I would have loved to have seen Velazquez and Johnson developed into starters for the whole year, but we have an embarrassment of riches in the starting pitching department. Keep them all though, because you never know Price might opt out of his contract next year and Pomeranz and ERod are injury-plagued.

Steven Wright ... I have to admit I trade him. I'm tempted to package Wright, Leon, and Hembree for some good minor league depth and bring Swihart back to catching.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    I would have loved to have seen Velazquez and Johnson developed into starters for the whole year, but we have an embarrassment of riches in the starting pitching department. Keep them all though, because you never know Price might opt out of his contract next year and Pomeranz and ERod are injury-plagued.

Steven Wright ... I have to admit I trade him. I'm tempted to package Wright, Leon, and Hembree for some good minor league depth and bring Swihart back to catching.
    What if it meant you add 0.80 to your ERA everytime Swihart catches instead of Leon?

Just a hypothetical....

All-Star
    Yankees drop struggling Giancarlo Stanton to 4th in lineup

Talk about an absurd ESPN headline--and a huge one too.

All-Star
    Pom, like Moreland and Nunez have turned out to be wise moves. All three have carried this team through portions of seasons... Moreland early last season, Nunez right after traded here, and Pom has been really as consistent as we cd hope for since we obtained him, despite nagging injuries.
    Last edited by fxkatt; 04-19-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    Pom, like Moreland and Nunez have turned out to be wise moves. All three have carried this team through portions of seasons... Moreland early last season, Nunez right after traded here, and Pom has been really as consistent as we cd hope for since we obtained him, despite nagging injuries.
    Pom did not do well for us in 2016. Yes, the injuries impacted his performance, but he was a let down that year.

I'm glad we have him.

JBJ's turn to sit tonight.

1) Betts
    2) Beni
    3) HRam
    4) JMart
    5) Moreland
    6) Devers
    7) Nunez
    8) Vaz
    9) Holt

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    JBJ's turn to sit tonight.

1) Betts
    2) Beni
    3) HRam
    4) JMart
    5) Moreland
    6) Devers
    7) Nunez
    8) Vaz
    9) Holt
    A very reassuring lineup. All tough outs, given Holt is facing a righty. I wouldn't want to have to face it. Is it possible that we score big again tonight?

Wow, standing room only in Anaheim.

Just kidding.

I like this outfield. Jackie's a late inning defensive replacement. This makes our lineup more potent with Moreland in there.