Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 433 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2024: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I get the sneaky feeling they feel they can come up with 4 decent starters from what we roll over.

We've beaten this to death, but jerking RP'ers into the rotation and then back and forth doesn't seem like a winning plan.

I think we will decide to keep Whitlock in the pen, so that might work out well. (It did for Wink.)

Bello is a lock for one slot.
    My guess is Pivetta is for another.
    Signing one makes it 3. That means we would need 2 from these guys:
    Sale
    Houck
    Crawford
    (Murphy, Walter, Gambrell, Wikelman, Mata, Drohan)

Personally, I'd keep Houck and Crawford in the pen and have a viable option as back-up to Sale, so we don't have to slide Houck or Crawford back to the rotation.

I'm not downplaying the talent of Houck and Crawford. I like both, a lot, but they seem like great pen arms and questionable starters.
    Counting on Pivetta to be a decent starter is laughable to me. The "he's the best 5th starter in MLB" isn't much to write home about. The Sox need to do better. It's fine if he's a long reliever that can start 10 games a year. If he's in the starting rotation on Opening Day, miss me with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by BOSOX11 View Post
    Maybe we can get E-Rod back via FA.
    Pass. I want a guy that can pitch all year. He's a worse pitcher than he was in 2021, but is getting paid substantially more.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Counting on Pivetta to be a decent starter is laughable to me. The "he's the best 5th starter in MLB" isn't much to write home about. The Sox need to do better. It's fine if he's a long reliever that can start 10 games a year. If he's in the starting rotation on Opening Day, miss me with that.
    His best trait is he’s there to take his turn everyday. I would rather count on him as the 5th starter than to count on Sale at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Right now, the starting rotation has the exact same amount of sure things going into next year as it did last winter: Bello and #5 man Nick Pivetta.

Now think about the entire season, and who -- if any other guy -- would be the closest to a fulltimer? Yes, that would be... Cutter Crawford: best WHIP among starters, more Ks than Bello, and tied with Pivetta for best starter ERA.

Sign one reliable starter, trade for a young one with potential, and somehow find a respectable righty power bat to protect Devers.

Raffy's season, with rankings among AL third basemen: 1st in HR, RBI, Slugging, OPS; 3rd in H, R, 2B, BA; 4th in OBP, tied 4th BB, 5th in Ks... Those stats seem to justify top salary among position players on the team -- either that or fans lack perspective with the realities of current batting struggles throughout the big leagues.
    Raffy is great. He was just surrounded by the Island of Misfit Toys. Justin Turner collapsed at the end of the year due to age. Duvall missed half the year due to the injury. Verdugo sucked after the ASB because he's Alex Verdugo. IF Trevor Story can come back strong next year, he can really slide nicely between Casas and Devers. We just haven't seen it over an extended period of time while he's been here.

Big questions at the top of the lineup.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Pass. I want a guy that can pitch all year. He's a worse pitcher than he was in 2021, but is getting paid substantially more.
    Except for games started 26-32 he had a better year this year than he had in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    A few other AL rankings...

Yoshida among leftfielders: 1st in BA and SLUGGING; 2nd in OPS, H, RBI; 3rd OBP... 5th in HRs, 10th in Ks, 14th in BBs... 8-for-8 in SB attempts... strange days, indeed.

Verdugo among rightfielders: 2nd in BA and doubles; 4th in OPS, R; 5th in H... but here's the kicker -- among RFs with at least 500 ABs, dead last in HRs and RBIs. A corner outfielder for a contender has to do better than 13 HRs and 54 RBI.
    If his defense was just league average, he would have been fine.

Also, why are LFers a dumpster fire now?
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    He can field the position…
    Good enough me for the #9 hitter.
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Raffy is great. He was just surrounded by the Island of Misfit Toys. Justin Turner collapsed at the end of the year due to age. Duvall missed half the year due to the injury. Verdugo sucked after the ASB because he's Alex Verdugo. IF Trevor Story can come back strong next year, he can really slide nicely between Casas and Devers. We just haven't seen it over an extended period of time while he's been here.

Big questions at the top of the lineup.
    Raffy was far from great at 3B, and he was one of those misfit toys. I think with JT it was a combination of age, and injury. He wasn’t the same after his foot injury. If, if, and if on Story Land being open more than being closed with the bat next year. To replace JT, and Duvall’s bat you need more than Story. Big ifs, and questions abound for next year’s team to even get to 500. Don’t fear though, because Cora is going to be in on the hiring of the new GM type.

Deity
    C: Wong (McGuire)
    1b: Devers
    2b: Urias
    3b: Chapman
    SS: Story
    Util INF: Reyes
    LF: Yoshida
    CF: Rafaela
    RF: Verdugo
    DH: Casas
    OF: Refsnyder

I could see moving Duran for SP or an another 2b instead of Urias. If the Sox move Verdugo, an Abreu/Dunn platoon makes sense…

That's a pretty harsh take on a #5 starter. Pivetta's numbers over the last 3 years are fine for that profile.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I have no issues with Crawford as a SP. I do think they need two other SPs as well.

But a RHH bat to protect Devers in fromt of a league worst defense makes zero sense. Sox were, despite the slow finish, a top ten offense. They were not a top 29 defense…
    I'd rather Crawford as a #5 than Pivetta.
    I get MV Pee.

Raffy was far from great at 3B, and he was one of those misfit toys. I think with JT it was a combination of age, and injury. He wasn’t the same after his foot injury. If, if, and if on Story Land being open more than being closed with the bat next year. To replace JT, and Duvall’s bat you need more than Story. Big ifs, and questions abound for next year’s team to even get to 500. Don’t fear though, because Cora is going to be in on the hiring of the new GM type.
    He was the best player on the team.

33 HR
    100 RBI

Those are numbers that old school guys used to like?
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    I'd rather Crawford as a #5 than Pivetta.
    That’s fine, but then you have to get 3 other starters to round out the rotation, because I would count on Sale. I m guessing Houck will get another chance to start next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    That's a pretty harsh take on a #5 starter. Pivetta's numbers over the last 3 years are fine for that profile.
    We need the rotation to be better. Pivetta can barely even get a QS every few games.

Sale will also most likely be in the rotation. That's two slots that are very underwhelming.
    I get MV Pee.

That’s fine, but then you have to get 3 other starters to round out the rotation, because I would count on Sale. I m guessing Houck will get another chance to start next year.
    Sale will definitely be in the rotation.

Bello
    Acquisition
    Sale
    Crawford
    Pivetta

That's what it's going to look like. You can write it down apparently if you guys want Pivetta in the rotation.
    I get MV Pee.