Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giolito Injured

Giolito Injured

Giolito may have a partial tear of his UCL and may need season ending surgery. What a disaster and a horrible signing!!!! Par for the course for this organization!!!

That's a great signing. 0 ERA for the year

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    That's a great signing. 0 ERA for the year
    Unfortunately not mathematically correct unless you have found a way to divide by his 0 IP...

Bloom's curse swallows Breslow alive. The only mound move for 2024 turns into a major bowel movement . J. Henry is yelling all the way to Ft. Myers as he schools his FO on signing over 30 year old pitchers . Could Giolito's rough 2023 season been any sort of precursor to arm trouble ? The dreaded forearm tightness predictor of UCL or did this injury just pop up during a side session ?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    Bloom's curse swallows Breslow alive. The only mound move for 2024 turns into a major bowel movement . J. Henry is yelling all the way to Ft. Myers as he schools his FO on signing over 30 year old pitchers . Could Giolito's rough 2023 season been any sort of precursor to arm trouble ? The dreaded forearm tightness predictor of UCL or did this injury just pop up during a side session ?
    He did receive a physical before signing his deal. I would think these MLB team physicians are extremely practiced in looking at pitching elbows and shoulders for damage. My understanding is there is no such thing as a clean MRI for an MLB pitcher, but they should know what to look for by now...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    He did receive a physical before signing his deal. I would think these MLB team physicians are extremely practiced in looking at pitching elbows and shoulders for damage. My understanding is there is no such thing as a clean MRI for an MLB pitcher, but they should know what to look for by now...
    Sale passed his physical too.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Sale passed his physical too.
    And then he went on to pitch 147 innings for the Sox the following season. This case doesn't support your theory very well...

And then he went on to pitch 147 innings for the Sox the following season. This case doesn't support your theory very well...
    So you agree now that the Sale signing was defensible?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    So you agree now that the Sale signing was defensible?
    No. I still thought it was bad because he looked injured. Just because he survived one year of a 5 year deal with his lowest IP total of his career doesn’t justify it.

At the end of 2018, did you look at Sale and think “this guy clearly can pitch for 5 more years?”

Sale issued time in 2018 and last 147 innings. Giolito did throw 184 IP last year. That’s a big difference…y

No. I still thought it was bad because he looked injured. Just because he survived one year of a 5 year deal with his lowest IP total of his career doesn’t justify it.

At the end of 2018, did you look at Sale and think “this guy clearly can pitch for 5 more years?”

Sale issued time in 2018 and last 147 innings. Giolito did throw 184 IP last year. That’s a big difference…y
    I liked the extension, because it looked like we gave him 4 years of pay for a 5 year deal. I expected him to miss one year of the five.

I was way wrong.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I liked the extension, because it looked like we gave him 4 years of pay for a 5 year deal. I expected him to miss one year of the five.

I was way wrong.
    I didn’t like it from Day One. It looked like a pittance compared to what the notoriously underpaid Sale would get in free agency if he was healthy. And that screamed to me that he knew he wasn’t healthy enough to get a Price/Greinke contract…

I didn’t like it from Day One. It looked like a pittance compared to what the notoriously underpaid Sale would get in free agency if he was healthy. And that screamed to me that he knew he wasn’t healthy enough to get a Price/Greinke contract…
    So he knew he was pitching injured all through those 147 innings in 2019? He must have been crazy.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

I was way wrong.
    I loved the initial deal as well as the extension and I wish that he was still here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    Giolito may have a partial tear of his UCL and may need season ending surgery. What a disaster and a horrible signing!!!! Par for the course for this organization!!!
    .... and you just know Sale will have a productive injury free season in Atlanta also.
    ----------------------------
    Dear Mr. Henry,
    I appreciate the championships- but I'm watching today's game to see a competitive team. I don't keep going back to restaurants who serve terrible food because two years ago I had a great meal there.

To repeat what I said in another thread:

This is all Henry's fault, actually. His penny-pinching keeps forcing his CBO's into making moves for damaged or inferior goods like this.