Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 3/28 vs Mariner's - Opening Day

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    From Gabrielle Starr:

Alex Cora got a loud chuckle when he explained why it's Tyler O'Neill over Wilyer Abreu in RF tonight:

“I got a five-game losing streak on Opening Day, and he has a four-game home-run streak (on Opening Days) so, analytics.”
    Analytics is king! Carmine is back baby!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

In one of my favorite statistical anomalies, Chris Martin has a -0.06 FIP.
    That is when you make the batter run clockwise to 3b like in tball because you are such a good pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Analytics is king! Carmine is back baby!!!
    Cora again showing he knows how to balance analytics with hunches and shit.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Paging JasonBay44.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    Being more realistic, the SOX are only 99 wins away from 100. I mean that is more realistic than 162-0.
    I think the odds are about the same.
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Tyler O’Neill spoke about making MLB history with his 5th straight Opening Day homer:

“I knew what was going on for sure… It’s got to be something to do with the pregame ceremony… It’s fun. You always want to start the season off with a bang. I’ve been fortunate enough to do it a couple of times in a row now.”

O’Neill had a large group of friends and family at the game to see the moment.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Tyler O’Neill spoke about making MLB history with his 5th straight Opening Day homer:

“I knew what was going on for sure… It’s got to be something to do with the pregame ceremony… It’s fun. You always want to start the season off with a bang. I’ve been fortunate enough to do it a couple of times in a row now.”

O’Neill had a large group of friends and family at the game to see the moment.
    Ain't that something?

Deity
    From Gabrielle Starr:

Alex Cora got a loud chuckle when he explained why it's Tyler O'Neill over Wilyer Abreu in RF tonight:

“I got a five-game losing streak on Opening Day, and he has a four-game home-run streak (on Opening Days) so, analytics.”
    Great line/quote. Thanks.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by ****THEYANKEES View Post
    speaking of Joely... the man on base, left by Campbell goes in the books as an earned run against him (Campbell). i've always thought this was bullshit. he didn't allow the man to score, Joely did. IMHO, scoring on the men LOB should be credited as a half of an earned run with half going to the pitcher who allowed the baserunner and half going to the pitcher that allowed him to score. IOW, Campbell gets .5 ER for that inning and Joely gets 1.5. i know this is pretty minor stuff but Joely gave up the meatball, not Campbell.
    A fair point, but it actually works both ways. Sometimes the next reliever saves the previous guy's bacon by getting guys out and preventing that baserunner(s) from scoring.

I notice Rodriguez did get credit for a hold.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by ****THEYANKEES View Post
    speaking of Joely... the man on base, left by Campbell goes in the books as an earned run against him (Campbell). i've always thought this was bullshit. he didn't allow the man to score, Joely did. IMHO, scoring on the men LOB should be credited as a half of an earned run with half going to the pitcher who allowed the baserunner and half going to the pitcher that allowed him to score. IOW, Campbell gets .5 ER for that inning and Joely gets 1.5. i know this is pretty minor stuff but Joely gave up the meatball, not Campbell.
    Disagree. If you put him in, you get the credit.

If a reliever comes in with the bases loaded and no one out, and he induces sac fly, K, K, he did a tremendous job limiting damage, but he should be charged with an earned run?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Disagree. If you put him in, you get the credit.

If a reliever comes in with the bases loaded and no one out, and he induces sac fly, K, K, he did a tremendous job limiting damage, but he should be charged with an earned run?
    The stat rules are of course absurdly arbitrary. Rivera got charged with a blown save (though not a run) in Game 5 of the 2004 ALCS, in a similar situation to the one you're describing.

After all the bitching and lack of definitive action in the off season, last night's clean win (x Joely Rodriguez) was one of the best Red Sox games to just enjoy in a long time. It just erased quickly a lot of the negatives around where this team is going. They still well may finish 78-84 again, or worse, but they may also be more fun to watch as a young bunch who can run , assuming they get on base . Anyway, I may not watch any more this year since I don't want to fall off last night's enjoyable high.

Sox only threw two 4-seam fastballs last night. TWO!

Bello split his cutter/4-seam about 50/50 last year. Last night it was 10/1.

Campbell threw one 4-seam, 10 sweepers and 6 sliders. Try spinning, that's a good trick!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    After all the bitching and lack of definitive action in the off season, last night's clean win (x Joely Rodriguez) was one of the best Red Sox games to just enjoy in a long time. It just erased quickly a lot of the negatives around where this team is going. They still well may finish 78-84 again, or worse, but they may also be more fun to watch as a young bunch who can run , assuming they get on base . Anyway, I may not watch any more this year since I don't want to fall off last night's enjoyable high.
    Take a good look at our record. Could easily be the last time this year we are over .500. I haven't been following the threads here but I am not happy with ownership at all. After declaring that we are going "full throttle" we basically signed no one of significance despite having the money to do so. The obvious need was SPing. We ended up with no one. Another last place finish is highly likely.
    Henry should sell the team.