Thread: ***2B Zak Farkes***

***2B Zak Farkes***

Born: May 30, 1983 (Boston, MA)
    Height: 5-11
    Weight: 195
    Bats: Both
    Throws: Right
    Drafted: 39th round, 2003
    How Acquired: Undrafted free agent (Jun. 2005)
    College: Harvard
    High School: BB&N

Scouting Report: Good, smart athlete.* Average speed and power. Aggressive hitter. Able to play all infield and outfield positions. Lifelong Red Sox fan.

Current stats:
    40 GMs, 132 ABs, 23 Hits, .232 OBP, .273 SLG, and .174 AVG

Idk if he'll be a big part of the Sox future but I know his brother, as does schillingoutthecks.
    "Right now, somewhere in New York, an eight-year-old kid is wondering if the Yankees will win a championship in his lifetime" - (Updated version of) Bill Simmons

Re: ***2B Zak Farkes***

RSN Interview:
    Signed by the Red Sox as a non-drafted free agent this past June, Zak Farkes is in his first professional season with the Lowell Spinners. A native of Boston who played three seasons at Harvard, Farkes was taken by his hometown team in last year's draft but elected to return for his junior year. Harvard's all-time home run hitter, the 22-year-old Farkas played five different positions this season for the Crimson, earning first-team All-Ivy League honors for the second year in a row. We talked to Zak about his versatility, his decision to sign with the Red Sox, and learning about "The Great White Whale."

RSN: The Red Sox drafted you in the 39th round last year, but you elected not to sign. Why did you go back to Harvard instead?

ZF: I was a sophomore, but was eligible because I turned 21 right before the draft. I mostly wanted to get familiar with the process, but may have taken the right opportunity. As it turned out, the Sox asked me to play on the Cape last summer, and I hurt my arm a little. So I decided to have minor surgery -- just a scope -- and go back for my junior year. I had some really good friends on the Harvard team. We were also coming off two relatively disappointing seasons, and I wanted to help atone for that. So while it was a hard decision, I went back rather than sign.

RSN: This year you went undrafted. Might you have gone back for your senior year had the Red Sox not offered you a contract, and another team had?

ZF: That would have been a consideration, because there's no doubt a senior year would have been great. But my goal has always been to play pro ball, and I'm healthy and as prepared as I feel I'll be. Both mentally and physically, I'm ready now.

RSN: While going undrafted was probably disappointing, it did mean you were free to sign anywhere. In retrospect, was that good?

ZF: I'd like to think so, and time will tell. There was a little disappointment, but I'm obviously thrilled to be with the Sox. I guess that if this is how I was meant to begin my pro career…that's the way it is.

RSN: Tell us a little about your arm injury.

ZF: It was basically a nagging injury from a few years ago that got worse down on the Cape. The throws I was making down there took their toll, and the aggressive non-invasive methods I tried didn't do the job. So I opted for the surgery, and the important thing is that it's 100% now.

RSN: You hit 14 home runs two years ago. Why only six this year?

ZF: I was still recovering from surgery, and was probably only about 75 or 80% the first half of the season. To be honest, I probably pushed too hard to get back early. It's a short season in the Northeast as it is, and I wanted to be in the line-up. Once I got my strength back, I started to hit. All six of my home runs came in the second half.

RSN: How would you describe yourself as a hitter?

ZF: I'm very aggressive. I like to attack fastballs early in the count. I'll hit the ball to all fields, and I pride myself on being a tough out, regardless of the situation. I just simply love to hit.

RSN: The Red Sox organizational philosophy is to work counts and see a lot of pitches. Are you too aggressive to fit into that mold?

ZF: There's a happy medium between working pitchers and attacking pitches, and being aggressive doesn't mean swinging at everything. It's more about going after my pitch when it comes, and not being tentative.

RSN: How would you describe your defensive game?

ZF: I have the ability to play all of the infield and outfield positions. At Harvard I played all over, most of the time because of team need. The Sox want me to focus more on one position, though; primarily second base. As far as skills go, I think I'm pretty much MLB average across the board with the glove.

RSN: Which position do you feel you're best suited for?

ZF: I'd say second or third. Third base can be tough mentally. It's a reaction position -- the hot corner -- and you have to be willing to move in for the bunt. You also need a strong arm. Second is a different game. It allows your range and athleticism to take over, but you want to know tendencies too, so you can be in the right position. I think I handle both positions pretty well.

RSN: Tell us a little about your history as a Red Sox fan.

ZF: I grew up four blocks from Fenway, and my family has had season tickets in section 16 since I was about six years old. I grew up walking over for games. Watching the Sox win the Series was certainly a great thrill.

RSN: I understand that you have a brother playing college ball?

ZF: I have a brother at UConn, who is 18 months younger than I am. He's an outfielder with a great arm and physique. He had a great year, and will be draft eligible next year. Right now he's playing in the NECBL with the Concord Quarry Dogs.

RSN: What went into your decision to attend Harvard?

ZF: A lot of things. I have three younger brothers, and we all have similar interests and hobbies -- we do a lot together -- so I wanted to stay close to home. And along with the great academics, Harvard has an excellent baseball program. My parents wanted me to have an opportunity to experience both. Academically, I was in the English and American Literature and Language program

RSN: What are some of the things you like to read?

ZF: I like to vary my reading a lot; all types from ancient Greek to modern. Hemingway is a favorite. I like a lot of non-fiction. Something I read recently was a book about “The Essex,” which was the boat Moby Dick was based on.

RSN: What are your other off-the-field interests?

ZF: My other passion is fishing. My brothers and I own an 18-foot center console boat that we have docked in Winthrop. We love fishing for striped bass and bluefish.

RSN: To close, how would you assess your first month of pro ball?

ZF: I've obviously gotten off to a slow start at the plate, but I'm dealing with it. I'm not having any doubts. A slump looks a little more drastic when you go 0 for your first 15 at-bats, but baseball is a long season. I know I can hit, and I'm confident that by the end of the year I'll be where I should be.
    "Right now, somewhere in New York, an eight-year-old kid is wondering if the Yankees will win a championship in his lifetime" - (Updated version of) Bill Simmons

Super Moderator

Man, I remember when he was playing highschool baseball for my school like 3 or 4 years ago. I have his autograph because so many people and my baseball recommended I get it. He's gunna make it big.

Scouting Report: Good, smart athlete. Originally played second, third, and first base in the organization, but was converted to a catcher in 2006. Average speed and power. Aggressive hitter. Able to play all infield and outfield positions. Lifelong Red Sox fan. Attempting to pick up catching for 2006.

Was promoted to Wilmington for this season

Hometown kid, would be cool to see him get a shot if hes good enough.

1 4 8 9 27=HISTORY

"The other day they asked me about mandatory drug testing. I said I believed in drug testing a long time ago. All through the '60s I tested everything".-Bill "Spaceman" LEE
    PATS, BRUINS, CELTICS, SOX

So far he's battin .667 at Wilmington with 1BB, and 1 RBI

In Lancaster this season, has been playing catcher

This season:
    AVG: .211, OPS: .609, AB: 71, HR: 3, RBI: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Cityofchampions33;159838;
    So far he's battin .667 at Wilmington with 1BB, and 1 RBI
    we should qualify that average dude...he's 2 for 3.

Those stats may be out of date if it claims he's 22 but was born in '83.