Game Info.
    Date: October 5th, 2005
    Time: 7:05 PM ET
    TV: ESPN

#16 David Wells (0-0, 0.00)
    #56 Mare Buehrle (0-0, 0.00)

Can Wells, Boston slow Chicago?

White Sox counter with ex-prot?g? Buehrle

CHICAGO -- It is now up to David Wells to restore order. Well, to restore order on the mound.

The Boomer is a big game pitcher? Here's a game, Game 2 of this AL Division Series, that just became a lot bigger for Wells and the Boston Red Sox by virtue of what occurred in the opener.

The Boston Red Sox were on the short end of a 14-2 score, placed there by the Chicago White Sox in direct defiance of the conventional storyline for this Series. The Red Sox were the guys with the bats. The White Sox were the guys with the arms. What if it turns out that the White Sox have both arms and bats?

This is where Wells comes in, and, the Red Sox hope, comes in at the very top of his game. His big-game, postseason credentials need no introductions. He is 10-3 lifetime in the postseason. The Red Sox need him to be 11-3 by late Wednesday night.

Why is the Boomer so good in the postseason?

"I think to be a big-game pitcher you have to, first of all, be a good pitcher," manager Terry Francona said. "It's sort of the same thing as [David] Ortiz in the club situation. David is a good pitcher and the stage doesn't affect him at all. He's done it enough that I think he really enjoys it and he's really good.

"There's always going to be some health issues. He's got some creaky joints. If we had to ask him to run a marathon tomorrow, I wouldn't feel too good. But we're asking him to pitch, and because of that, I really feel good."

Wells, asked about the White Sox on Tuesday, said a number of laudatory things about the team, but ended by suggesting: "They might be a little tense. I might not be."

That's the Boomer. He's been down this road before, and he's never been quiet while traveling.

"You know, I'm fortunate to have been able to play in a lot of postseason games," Wells said. "I think the more you play, I wouldn't say it's easier, but it's more relaxing, because you have faced situations that, you know, are pretty intense and you can get very intimidated. There's a whole lot of things that can really come into this. I feel pretty much even-keel. I got out there, you know, I stay the same person and joke around and have fun."

Interestingly, Wells will be opposed by a pitching prot?g? of his, Mark Buehrle. The two pitched together for the White Sox in 2001, Buehrle's first full year in the Majors. Buehrle says he learned a lot from Wells -- about pitching, not about lifestyles. You can see the similarities; left-handed, control pitchers, they work quickly and efficiently, you have to hit your way on against them.

"I'll just go out there and try to throw zeros," Buehrle said. "I know he's going to go out there and do what Boomer does. Especially in postseason, he's a big game pitcher."

It is fascinating. Buehrle will be making his first postseason start. And yet, the circumstances of this Series put more of the pressure squarely on the 42-year-old Wells. It is one thing to lose the opener and it is another to lose the opener, 14-2. The Red Sox require a major regrouping and the place that has to start is on the mound. Fortunately for Boston, the Boomer has no record of shying away from glare of the postseason spotlight.

Fenway Resident

Re: October 5th @ Chicago: ALDS Game 2

we've got Wells, enough said...

Click Click Boom
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Fenway Resident

David Wells vs: (career against White Sox in 34 games an 8-8 record with a 4.58 ERA, career at U.S. Cellular Field in 17 games a 4-5 record with a 4.28 ERA)
    Joe Crede, 4 for 9 (.444 avg) Double, K
    Jermaine Dye, 6 for 28 (.214 avg) 4 Doubles, 5 RBIs, 8 Ks
    Carl Everett, 5 for 23 (.217 avg) Double, HR, 4 RBIs, Walk, 6 Ks, SB
    Tadahito Iguchi, 0 for 3, K
    Paul Konerko, 3 for 14 (.214 avg) Double, RBI, 2 Walks, 2 Ks
    A.J. Perzynski, 3 for 16 (.188 avg) K
    Scott Podsenik, 2 for 4 (.500 avg)
    Aaron Rowand, 2 for 6 (.333 avg) Double, Triple, 2 RBIs, 2 Ks
    Juan Uribe, 2 for 3 (.667 avg)
    Chris Widger, 3 for 11 (.273 avg) Double, RBI, 2 Walks, 3 Ks, SB

Mark Buehrle vs: (career against Red Sox in 9 games a 4-2 record with a 3.99 ERA, career at U.S. Cellular Field in 103 games a 46-24 record with a 3.57 ERA)
    Johnny Damon, 9 for 39 (.231 avg) Double, 2 RBIs, Walk, 8 Ks, SB
    Edgar Renterria, 4 for 7 (.571 avg) 2 Doubles, RBI, Walk, K
    David Ortiz, 13 for 37 (.351 avg) 5 Doubles, HR, 5 RBIs, 3 Walks, 4 Ks
    Manny Ramirez, 8 for 18 (.444 avg) Double, 3 HRs, 8 RBIs, 6 Walks, 3 Ks

Trot Nixon, 2 for 7 (.286 avg) K
    Jason Varitek, 9 for 20 (.450 avg) 2 HRs, 4 RBIs, 2 Walks
    John Olerud, 1 for 11 (.091 avg) 2 RBIs, Walk, 2 Ks
    Bill Mueller, 7 for 23 (.304 avg) 2 Doubles, 2 RBIs, Walk, 4 Ks
    Tony Graffanino, 3 for 14 (.214 avg) Walk, K
    Kevin Youkilis, 1 for 1 (1.000 avg) Walk
    Kevin Millar, 1 for 18 (.056 avg) Walk, K... no thank you
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

I think Olerud is starting tonight too.

This is a huge game, I think Wells will be up for the challenge, unlike Clement yesterday
    "Knicks suck, Jets suck, Yankees suck"

-Peter Griffin, talking to a New Yorker

All-Star

Olerud is starting tonight and Tito has 4 leftys in the lineup. I guess he's abandoning all the left/right strategy he used all season. I'm hoping Wells has the good curve.

The southsiders have had their fun, fucking destroy them tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by yankeessuck013
    The southsiders have had their fun, fucking destroy them tonight!

HELL YEAH, FRIGGING COCKY WHITESOX WILL BE CRYING TONIGHT
    "Knicks suck, Jets suck, Yankees suck"

-Peter Griffin, talking to a New Yorker

Fenway Resident

that they are

every time the sox made a pitching change, the "goodbye" song was played in the stadium with fans chanting along with it--something you would never seen happen at Fenway Park

Quote Originally Posted by riverside sluggers
    that they are

every time the sox made a pitching change, the "goodbye" song was played in the stadium with fans chanting along with it--something you would never seen happen at Fenway Park
    That's because Fenway is a dump

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Dent
    That's because Fenway is a dump
    get out of here, troll

well, it is

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Dent
    well, it is
    according to who

Fenway Resident

dude your fucking comment that since fenway park doesnt taunt the opposing pitchers when the leave the game, its a dump. Yeah that why in 2012 it will be called a historical landmark

What you say doesnt bare any logic or merit.

it should be torn down