Register now to remove this ad

Page 435 of 471 FirstFirst ... 335385425433434435436437445 ... LastLast
Results 6,511 to 6,525 of 7063

Thread: Official NBA thread

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I hate to admit it, but the Smeltics are looking damn good so far this year!

(In case you're wondering, I lived in Milwaukee during the Alcindor/Jabbar years and remain a Bucks fan.)
    Actually I always liked Kareem. Obviously not as much as Bill but he was a great player.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Actually I always liked Kareem. Obviously not as much as Bill but he was a great player.
    My childhood favorite player was Bobby Dandridge.

I remember the Bucks losing to the Semltics in 7 games as Lucious Allen slipped on a warm-up jacket and blew out his knee before the series. I hated the Celtics for years, but now I appreciate what they have done to rebuild.

Also, I hated Danny Ainge after his coast-to-coast drive past every Notre Dame player in the 1981 NCAA tournament eliminated my Fighting irish. (I was at ND for that year as well as Joe Montana's 1977 championship season.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWdQ6IClxTc

Deity
    My childhood favorite player was Bobby Dandridge.

I remember the Bucks losing to the Semltics in 7 games as Lucious Allen slipped on a warm-up jacket and blew out his knee before the series. I hated the Celtics for years, but now I appreciate what they have done to rebuild.

Also, I hated Danny Ainge after his coast-to-coast drive past every Notre Dame player in the 1981 NCAA tournament eliminated my Fighting irish. (I was at ND for that year as well as Joe Montana's 1977 championship season.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWdQ6IClxTc

Never good to hate Moon.(lol) I thought a lot of Dandridge as well but my favorite on that team was of course "the Big O" . Another one of the greats of all time. Ange played for us. Pretty much means I loved him. I was sad to see Notre Dame get squashed by Miami!

Never good to hate Moon.(lol) I thought a lot of Dandridge as well but my favorite on that team was of course "the Big O" . Another one of the greats of all time. Ange played for us. Pretty much means I loved him. I was sad to see Notre Dame get squashed by Miami!
    Yeah, "hate" is a strong word, but as a kid, the frustration morphs into anger and sometimes boils over.

I hate to admit it, but the Smeltics are looking damn good so far this year!

(In case you're wondering, I lived in Milwaukee during the Alcindor/Jabbar years and remain a Bucks fan.)
    Big Big O fan here.

I liked Wally Jones and Bobby Dandridge too.

Lucious Allen another John Wooden man.
    Last edited by Spudboy; 11-17-2017 at 08:19 PM.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Big Big O fan here.

I liked Wally Jones and Bobby Dandrige too.
    Oh baby now I get to take you back - Wally Jones, Hal Greer (one of the best), Chet the Jet Walker, Luscious Luke Jackson, and of course that big guy in the middle - can't remember his name (just kidding) . that really was one hell of a team. They were just good enough one of those years too. Great great players who could have played in any era. Except for that one little bump in the road the C's weren't bad either over that 11 or 12 year span. Havlicek did steal the ball too!

Deity
    I liked the way Barkley played, but after hearing him last night, i'm thinking that there is something he missed about what it takes to win and win big. Maybe he should have a conference call with Mr. Russell just to look at the 11 rings. It is a game that isn't always about pretty. As bad as smart looked last night, there were very few maybe even just one of his teammates who had a better plus/minus line. Sometimes you just got to keep on working.

Deity
    I liked the way Barkley played, but after hearing him last night, i'm thinking that there is something he missed about what it takes to win and win big. Maybe he should have a conference call with Mr. Russell just to look at the 11 rings. It is a game that isn't always about pretty. As bad as smart looked last night, there were very few maybe even just one of his teammates who had a better plus/minus line. Sometimes you just got to keep on working.
    Bet you can guess where that cp176 comes from now!

The Big O was pretty much over-the-hill by the time the Bucks got him, but even then, he was amazing.

People remember he averaged a triple double one year, but he also did it for a 3-4 combined year stretch to begin his career.

He revolutionized the "big guard" aspect of the game.

When Lucious Allen went down, it forced Oscar to be the point guard. The Celtics masterfully instituted a full court press from wire to wire and tired the Big O out. Mickey Davis filled in well, but ti wasn't enough.

Allen had averages 18 points (3rd on the team) and 5 assists (2nd) per game in 1974

Other Bucks on that 1974 runner-up team besides Jabbar, Dandridge & Robertson:

Jon McGlocklin
    Curtis Perry
    Cornell Warner
    Dick Garrett
    Terry Driscoll

I don't mean to bore anyone with talk of the Bucks, but that Bucks team of the early 70's could have been a dynasty. They drafted Julius Erving in 1972, but he went to the ABA and was later stolen from the Bucks by the Hawks.

The Bucks later drafted Alex English in 1976, but they let him slip away,

My favorite Buck of all time was Sidney Moncrief with Ricky Pierce not far behind (also Paul Pressey).

Another Bucks "what if": not trading Dirk Nowitzski for Tractor Trailor.

Smart is a great defender but a shitty offensive player. It would be one thing if he recognized this and more or less stayed out of the way aside from performing his basic backup PG duties (a la Eric Snow), but he actively ruins possessions for us by chucking dumb shots and trying to be like James Harden. He has the confidence of Manny Ramirez, but the actual ability of Darnell McDonald.

The Big O was pretty much over-the-hill by the time the Bucks got him, but even then, he was amazing.

People remember he averaged a triple double one year, but he also did it for a 3-4 combined year stretch to begin his career.

He revolutionized the "big guard" aspect of the game.

When Lucious Allen went down, it forced Oscar to be the point guard. The Celtics masterfully instituted a full court press from wire to wire and tired the Big O out. Mickey Davis filled in well, but ti wasn't enough.

Allen had averages 18 points (3rd on the team) and 5 assists (2nd) per game in 1974

Other Bucks on that 1974 runner-up team besides Jabbar, Dandridge & Robertson:

Jon McGlocklin
    Curtis Perry
    Cornell Warner
    Dick Garrett
    Terry Driscoll
    I played in pick-up games with Terry Driscoll at BC.

I also played with another buck, Greg Lee.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I played in pick-up games with Terry Driscoll at BC.

I also played with another buck, Greg Lee.
    Cool.

I played a few games with Orlando Wooldridge, Tracy Jackson and Silk Wilcox while at ND. Played many more with some football players during the off season, including Jerome Heavens, Luther Bradley and Dave Waymer (RIP)- many were all state in basketball but came to ND to play football.

I lived in the only dorm that had mostly single rooms, so it was jock city. Joe Montana's room was just a few doors down from my room, but I never saw him in his room. (He lived "secretly" off campus.)

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury View Post
    Smart is a great defender but a shitty offensive player. It would be one thing if he recognized this and more or less stayed out of the way aside from performing his basic backup PG duties (a la Eric Snow), but he actively ruins possessions for us by chucking dumb shots and trying to be like James Harden. He has the confidence of Manny Ramirez, but the actual ability of Darnell McDonald.
    About Smart - he looked god awful offensively the other night for sure. Good thing that Defense counts. Ultimately, he winds up helping his team. Pretty to watch - he ain't. Glad he plays for us though.

15-2 Baby.

15 wins in a row.

Of course the National media poo-poos the 15 game streak. Who have the Celts beaten, anyway?

The only teams that are seen as stiff comp that they have not beaten are Houston and Cleveland. You could ad a healthy San Antonio, I suppose.

If they stay healthy and learn to play their offense as well as the rest of their game, they are going to be really tough to play in the spring.